Title basically speaks it all. I'm writing a song, and the melody sort of has that Easter, Ravi Shankar tone to it, and I can imagine some more middle eastern/arabic/egytptian influences. Anyone know and chord progressions that I could use, so I could just set the melody to the key so you don't have to worry about that. thanks.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Eastern music doesn't have chord progressions. You can try droning a low note and jamming around with the phrygian dominant scale, but if you want real eastern sound you need to learn some real eastern instruments.

EDIT: That method will get you the pop culture/heavy metal version of Middle Eastern music, the real kind makes use of microtones which western instruments generally don't have.
Last edited by pwrmax at Jul 2, 2009,
well, what can I play that sounds eastern.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by Highway60Bob
well, what can I play that sounds eastern.

The note droning with phrygian dominant, and use a lot of vibrato. That's as close as you can get with a guitar.
The best progression you could use is a minor progression. I think it might be a tad disrespectful to say it would sound "eastern" though.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
In western music, to most people Phyrgian Dominant has that "eastern" sound, this is caused by the minor third between the b2 and M4, among other interval relations.
phrygian or phrygian dominant. use the root alot as your bass note though as they were saying with the droning low note. Say you are in E phrygian, use the low E note alot, if you need ana example, look of the classical intro of Gargoyles, angels of Darkness by Rhapsody of Fire, you'll hear the low E ALOT
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by MadAudioMan
In western music, to most people Phyrgian Dominant has that "eastern" sound, this is caused by the minor third between the b2 and M4, among other interval relations.

Augmented second. Sorry
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
Oops, yeah Augmented second, not minor third, I was just thinking 3 frets = minor third because I was tired XD