I recently bought a Big Muff Pi and BOSS OS-2. I couldn't be happier with the Muff, but the OS-2? I'm way underwhelmed. Even with the Overdrive, Distortion, and Tone knobs all the way down, the pedal cuts out almost all the bass from the original signal, and simply yells "solid state!," and that's something that makes me very sad.

I have a Gretsch Tennessee Rose / Epiphone Les Paul, and a beat-up VOX Celestion tube amp. I LOVE the way the tube amp sounds when it's overdriven, but even with the volume on max it needs to be louder AND (here's the key) those top strings need to be BEEFIER. They still sound thin with all my amp settings on max. I want to basically have that sweet direct-inject overdrive sound, with just a bit more volume and phatness to the high frequencies, without making it sound like I'm using the "gain boost" switch on a crappy starter Ibanez solid state amp (eff you, BOSS).

I figured I'd trade it in for an MXR micro-amp, but will the gain knob really beef up my sound, or will my high frequencies still sound thin?

Also, any other pedals you guys might recommend?
i wouldnt recommend anything MXR, cos the footswitch is almost always stuck or defective,
i had the boss os-2 so i know wat ur talkin about and it completely sux, the distortion is too weak and the overdrive is just plain crap
if i were u id recommend a good overdrive pedal, go get the digitech bad monkey, its amazing and not too expensive, u could also get a tubescreamer if you have around 100$
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
^ what ? i've never had any problem and my board currently has 4 mxr pedals on it, plus a crybaby wah
i own a micro amp, it's mostly a volume boost pedal, although it gives a lot of saturation if placed before the gain source
it doesn't color tone, too, if you turn it on, you can't tell it's on if you don't add volume
Quote by Darkflame
^ what ? i've never had any problem and my board currently has 4 mxr pedals on it, plus a crybaby wah
i own a micro amp, it's mostly a volume boost pedal, although it gives a lot of saturation if placed before the gain source
it doesn't color tone, too, if you turn it on, you can't tell it's on if you don't add volume

dunno man, maybe u just got lucky
cos i read tons of reviews and it says that most MXRs have a faulty switch
i myself bought an mxr overdrive and had to return it a few times, until i finally gave up and got somethin else
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
I've got an MXR pedal and never had that problem. Granted it's not stomped on often.

You shoulda grabbed the OS2 from me. You would of only wasted $20 than. That pedal sucks....bad
Thanks guys! I'll check out the Bad Monkey but MetalHead / Darkflame: can you guys recommend anything instead of the OS-2?
I think it was mentioned above, an Ibanez Tube Screamer. I have a stock one, but I heard the modded ones are better. For Overdrive, I would use that. It will make it a bit louder, defined, and creamier imo

For distortion needs, I like the metal muff pedal. If you need the top strings to be beefier, look into this pedal or a different amp..

Never really tried the metal muff pedal on a tube amp though. And Vox doesn't really scream beefy to me. I'm sure others will have suggestions, but those are mine.

Sorry for the useless post earlier
Keeley modded Tubescreamer or Blues Driver, Delta Labs Overdrive (it's a tubescreamer clone without the mid hump), the new MXR overdrive (it's green, I can't remember the name), Digitech Bad Monkey, and the overdrive from the new Digitech Hardwire series is supposed to be decent.
maybe try some sort of treble boost. some sort of rangemaster clone might be a good thing to try, dont know of any off the top of my head though.
EHX makes a treble-booster pedal now, the Screaming Bird. It's $40.

Also, don't get a Metal Muff. Bad idea.

Also, I don't think a tubescreamer is the best for fattening up your tone.
the electro harmonix lpb-1 is good, and has a great bass boost
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones