I currently have 3 guitars and i am looking for some variety.

So I have my main guitar which is a Jackson RR3, it currently has EMG81s in it and this is the guitar that i am looking to change to dimarzios. This is my live guitar and id like to put some pickups that cut through well but do NOT have that very round kinda dull sound that comes with boosted mids. Id like something that with moderate output as i dont want it to be fizzy. I play metal. Id like to try out dimarzios on this guitar. F-spaced

My other guitar is an LTD V-500 that has the Duncan 59 at the neck and Distortion at the Bridge. I got these and didnt really like the combination so id like to try a different pair of Duncan pickups here. I am looking for a good combo for metal that is not the JB/Jazz combo. I enjoy the sound, my friend has this on his RR3 but i am currently experimenting with different pickups. So id like to check something else. Doesnt have to be very hot pickups, but i do want clear and articulate for good recording.

My third guitar is another v-500 that has its stock 81s in it, but im gonna leave it like that for now. Maybe blackouts later.
The 59 is too round sounding the only way i can really describe it. And the distortion just sounds too fizzy.

The V3 is already a Fizz Factory so the distortion isnt helping.
d activator in the neck? That thing is nice in the neck imo.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Chaosinborn
Neck for solos

V3 has a tube swap, Eurotubes.

You should try different tubes in the preamp, like a JAN 5751 in the V1 position, and maybe Shugang 9th Gen 12AX7's in some of the other positions.

There's better stuff out there than just JJ.

I haven't tried the new SH-15 by Seymour Duncan, but it may worth a shot for you. Really supposed to be beefy. Then for a neck pickup, perhaps a Full Shred.
If you want the best you can get, buy Bare Knuckle pickups
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
yea i guess i may as well try those.

which ones?
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by apak
d activator in the neck? That thing is nice in the neck imo.

Damnit, beat to it.

Quote by Doadman
If you want the best you can get, buy Bare Knuckle pickups

Damnit, beat to it, again.

If you want cutting power you can try the DiMarzio D Sonic

For the Bare Knuckles, the pup that cuts through for me is the Miracle Man
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Ive seen the Nailbomb and Warpig being recommended often. I dont reall see tonal charactersitics on their site. The painkiller also looks promising.

So which one? The painkiller says is a british voiced pup and im not really a fan of british voicing. Is it really that pronounced or are they just saying that. And both the nailbomb and warpig have similar descriptions.
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Jul 2, 2009,
The Warpig has a signature thumping character... excellent for the palm mutes.

The Nailbomb is very warm, rich, mellow but harmonically rich. You get quite a bit of overtones and higher order harmonics when you play chords. The best way I can think about it is a PAF 'bucker designed for high gain. The Nailbomb is also good for filling out the sonic landscape, its like your guitar sounds really opens up and it doesn't feel like there are empty sonic spaces when you play chords... I really can't describe it, you need it hear it on clean, distorted and pushed, then you'll know what I mean.

If you want cutting go for the Mircale Man, its a passive but with a slightly compressed character and a slightly scooped EQ.

If you want to be up front and centre... go for the Painkiller... that pup really brings your tone to the fore... very aggressive too. I guess if by British they mean a very aggressive mid range hump, then yes. Its sounds like a Miracle Man, very powerful, with great emphasis on the mids and very open (i.e. not compressed). A number of UG peps tend to feel that the Painkiller is very prog and thrash. Aggressive and prominent. Not screaming though, you'd want the Miracle Man for that.

There are many things that BKP is excellent for... excellent products, attention to detail, customisation choices, customer service... however, one thing they're not so great at is written descriptions of their pups. I find that its very difficult to tell what each pup does based on its description. You either join their forums and pick their brains (they're really nice people), call or e-mail Tim Mill (da boss) or listen to sound clips. You can also buy and try some pickups, Tim will offer an exchange if you don't like it... just return the pup undamaged (i.e. not cut wires, damage to the pups, or open pups) Generally I'd not recommend sound clips... but in this case, there's not that much you can go on otherwise.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 2, 2009,
Hmm, if by midrange hump, kinda like when you stick a ts9 in front of an amp kinda mid hump? Im not much for scooped mids, but i dont like the roundness of high mids. I like the mids...well in the middle. Just enough to be clear without loosing the agressiveness.

Now is it recommended to get the matched sets or do they combine well, like a warpig for bridge and a nailbomb for neck. Seems like that would be good, heavy thumping for rythm on bridge, good clear overtones for leads in the neck.
Quote by Chaosinborn
Hmm, if by midrange hump, kinda like when you stick a ts9 in front of an amp kinda mid hump? Im not much for scooped mids, but i dont like the roundness of high mids. I like the mids...well in the middle. Just enough to be clear without loosing the agressiveness.

Now is it recommended to get the matched sets or do they combine well, like a warpig for bridge and a nailbomb for neck. Seems like that would be good, heavy thumping for rythm on bridge, good clear overtones for leads in the neck.

Hmmmm, well its not that overkill, but the mid range is more prominent than the bass and treble. You can tell that the mids really stand out. I think its worth listening to the sound clips for the Painkiller as well. It's aggressive, but the mid range is not a huge hump like a mountain...

You can get a matched set, or a combination set, both work well. When you make an order, inform Tim that its meant for the same guitar and you'd like them somewhat calibrated, if you're ordering mixed sets. If you're ordering the same pups, just choose the calibrated set.

I've seen the Warpig matched with the Nailbomb as well. I think its quite a good match. Personally, as the Warpig has quite an aggressive character, I'd pair it with a Painkiller for a similar character... but that's just me. If you want something smoother... you can also look at the Cold Sweats... the Cold Sweat is supposed to be a less aggressive and smoother version of the Nailbomb.

Also, remember that the Warpig comes in Alnico as well as ceramics... so you can get a similar matching sound with the Nailbomb or you can also get the ceramics Warpig if you want something with more push.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
RR#
bridge pup - Dimarzio Steve's Special
neck pup - Dimarzio PAF Pro

LTD V-500
bridge pup - Duncan Full Shred
neck pup - Duncan pearly gates
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Im leaning on the bkp's right now.

I took a look at the clips and it seems like the Painkiller are up my alley.
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Jul 5, 2009,