Here's the lick:

e|-13p10----10-13p10----10-13p10----10-
b|-------10----------10----------10----

e|-15p12----12-15p12----12-15p12----12-
b|-------13----------13----------13----

So pretty straightforward stuff I think for most people, but I have a couple specific questions.

To get it going up to speed and eventually play it as fast as possible...

1. Would you just bar the 10's because it will be fast enough, or would you work on rolling your finger?

2. How many times (for every 4 notes) would you pick? You could probably get it faster hitting once on each string and doing 12h15p12 instead of 12 15p12, is that a cop out or just a good speed trick?

3. If you pick 3 times for each 4 note group, do you alternate it or do you economy pick it - economy picking being down on the 13 down on the 12, then UP on the 15p12?

I wanted to get a feel for what most guitarists think about these questions, right now my assumptions are as follows:

I'd just bar the 10's, 3 picks / 4 notes, and economy pick it.

Thanks in advance!
1. I just bar the 10's
2.i pick 3 times personally
3.economy picking
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

"That's what i spend most of my time doing,breathing a lot.I like air"-John Frusciante
1. I roll from the D to the A ("The 10's"). I find it much cleaner...if I just bar it it's a lot harder to stop the A from ringing when I play the D and the F.
2. It depends on the sound you want. This sounds a lot like a lick from Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, so I instinctively play it like it sounds off that record. I pull off from the F to the D, and then again from the G to the E, and picking everything else, so 3 picks/4 notes
3. Economy picking
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate the help.

The lick is actually from Sultans of Swing, but I didn't want people to use that for describing how to play it, my goal isn't to get the exact tone of Knopfler, he doesn't even use a pick.

Jimmy_Page_Zep - do you actually get the rolling going when playing it as fast as you can? I feel like that's just too hard to do with minimal rewards... I dunno...
Haha, I thought it sounded familiar! Yea, you can't get the same tone as Knopfler if you're using a pick, but you can still hear the difference between his plucks and pull-offs.

I do get the rolling going at full speed. It's tough if you're new to it, but it's an invaluable technique. I always prefer rolling to barring unless I want the notes to ring out. A really good exercise for doing rolls is to go DOWN through the major scale in any key in descending 5ths (or ascending 4ths, depending on how you look at it) starting on the high e string and working your way down. You won't be rolling every note, but it's a wicked exercise.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.