Page 1 of 2
Has anyone else noticed that SGs sound pretty atrocious when they are tuned down or when they are playing heavy stuff? Its a bright, lead guitar and i never understood why people would buy one to play in any kind of metal band
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
Has anyone else noticed that SGs sound pretty atrocious when they are tuned down or when they are playing heavy stuff? Its a bright, lead guitar and i never understood why people would buy one to play in any kind of metal band

Any guitar can be downtuned. maybe its your preference, or maybe you tuned down too low =/
I like my G-400 for downtuning. Hell, even my ORM is in drop Db, and it's a short scale.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
its probably just set up like ****e

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Quote by pmeg568c

Tony Iommi
/thread
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

ummmmmmm they Iommi plays in drop tuning on The Devil You Know... and it sounds ****ing badass... so yeah you are ****ing something up
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
i guess i shouldn't say metal. its just not a punchy rhythm guitar which i associate with heavy music.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
i guess i shouldn't say metal. its just not a punchy rhythm guitar which i associate with heavy music.

ac/dc
yea, ac/dc's guitar tone is sloppy and far from punchy, without a decent amount of mids.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh you don't know what you are talking about huh?
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by pmeg568c
yea, ac/dc's guitar tone is sloppy and far from punchy, without a decent amount of mids.

Was that sarcasm?
I play my G-400 in drop Db all the time and it sounds fine.
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
nope, i've always hated ac/dc's guitar tone. maybe i was exaggerating about the mids thing. but its not an aggressive tone at all.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
nope, i've always hated ac/dc's guitar tone. maybe i was exaggerating about the mids thing. but its not an aggressive tone at all.

what do you consider a good tone? That trash sounding guitar from the songs in your profile?
Total Failure

Are you retarded or just a troll?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

i consider a good tone some with a lot of punchy low mids and smooth highs. i happen to think the guitar tone in those songs is great. very aggressive and not overly gainy. my amp doesnt sound as good as my other guitarists but they still sound good.

way to bring this off topic. An SG is a bright guitar. Lots of people who play heavy music dont want to sound bright, and i would even say that tons of people think SGs sound great because they've never tried anything else, or any kind of real rhythm guitar.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
i consider a good tone some with a lot of punchy low mids and smooth highs. i happen to think the guitar tone in those songs is great. very aggressive and not overly gainy. my amp doesnt sound as good as my other guitarists but they still sound good.

way to bring this off topic. An SG is a bright guitar. Lots of people who play heavy music dont want to sound bright, and i would even say that tons of people think SGs sound great because they've never tried anything else, or any kind of real rhythm guitar.

an SG is what you make it.... just like any other guitar... if you dont like the sound swap the pups.... I dont understand the purpose of this thread
Total Failure

Quote by pmeg568c

Thom Yorke

/alsothread
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
Quote by pmeg568c

I almost fell for it. Almost.

Nothing to see here, people.
Quote by pmeg568c

I wont comment on the first paragraph because I dont care about whatever tone you play.

Yes, if you look at my sig, you can see an SG is the only guitar I've ever played. Tony Iommi plays an SG, his guitar tone is some of the darkest in the world and was THE darkest in the world at the time. Therefore the SG is not an exclusively bright guitar.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by VanTheKraut
Tony Iommi
/thread

yeah that Tony Iommi guy had no clue what he was doing.... wait.
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
an SG is what you make it.... just like any other guitar... if you dont like the sound swap the pups.... I dont understand the purpose of this thread

+1

my friend has a g-400 and he downtunes and play metal and the sound is just awsome.
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
Quote by pmeg568c

It's a little bright, but I find the brightness helps keep definition, especially downtuned, with huge strings and a fairly dark amp tone.

Quote by Slovak_Ghost
what do you consider a good tone? That trash sounding guitar from the songs in your profile?

Check yo' self befo' you wreck yo' self. When you diss Pmeg you diss yourself.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
SG's are not bright. Listen to early Beck, Clapton (he used SG's a lot) and even Pete Townshend. Thick and raucous is the very reason Les Paul refused to allow his name on them. Not as bright sounding as a Les Paul.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
SG's are not bright. Listen to early Beck, Clapton (he used SG's a lot) and even Pete Townshend. Thick and raucous is the very reason Les Paul refused to allow his name on them. Not as bright sounding as a Les Paul.

Les Pauls aren't very bright, more dark and warm. SGs have more bite because they've got a little less low end and a fair bit more highs.

Also, Les Paul did promo for the SG until his contract ran out, he didn't renew it for more reasons then just not being too fond of the SG's shape or sound, he had a number of issues with Gibson, but that's a tune from a different opera.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
any guitars will play what you want them to play. it really comes down to the comfort of the guitar, how you play, the pickups, the amp, how you're eq'd, etc. (ofcourse not in that order, but you get the idea[if you say that acoustics cant play metal, you're wrong]).
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by STABxYOU
Check yo' self befo' you wreck yo' self. When you diss Pmeg you diss yourself.

Oh sweet Jesus, my sides!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by pmeg568c

WRONG.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Raw-Power-Electric-Guitar?sku=582136#new

Does that look bright to you?

Walk on home, boy.
Quote by Gh057

Yeah, a maple SG is bright like an icepick to the face.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
ok let me rephrase the point of this thread for all you idiots. I THINK SGs sound like crap for heavier music. When i say "has anyone else noticed" this is supposed to mean discuss this. not say omg troll or SGs are da best! THis guy plays one so they must be awesome!
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by VanTheKraut
I wont comment on the first paragraph because I dont care about whatever tone you play.

Yes, if you look at my sig, you can see an SG is the only guitar I've ever played. Tony Iommi plays an SG, his guitar tone is some of the darkest in the world and was THE darkest in the world at the time. Therefore the SG is not an exclusively bright guitar.

If you think tony iommi has the darkest guitar tone in the world you need your head examined, and you need to listen to more music
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
ok let me rephrase the point of this thread for all you idiots. I THINK SGs sound like crap for heavier music. When i say "has anyone else noticed" this is supposed to mean discuss this. not say omg troll or SGs are da best! THis guy plays one so they must be awesome!

But you posted it on a website full of borderline illiterate 14 year old boys. The concept of intellectual debate is about as relevant to them as the Ashvamedha ceremony. Expect loudmouths shouting their opinion as fact, and a swarm of bandwagonneers.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
But you posted it on a website full of borderline illiterate 14 year old boys. The concept of intellectual debate is about as relevant to them as the Ashvamedha ceremony. Expect loudmouths shouting their opinion as fact, and a swarm of bandwagonneers.

ha i guess you are right dude. sometimes i just like having a debate and saying something controversial because its fun if people actually go alone with it. but no

Quote by Slovak_Ghost

ps i'd like to know what so trash sounding about those guitars.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by STABxYOU

Very true, very true indeed.

I still think he's got balls to say the SG doesn't have rhythm.
Page 1 of 2