I know these are two dramatically different guitars, but I wanna know which might be a better choice >.<

Gibson SG '61 Reissue
Gibson 'Lucille' BB King signature

These two are because a store has them both near me, similiar price, and they were the best feeling/sounding guitars in the shop.

I play Classic Rock (Zeppelin, Kansas, etc), Hard Rock (EVH, GnR), a bit of metal (Lighter metallica, basically), and Blues/Jazz (All). Amp is irrelevant; I am getting a JSX shortly, and that should handle all of the above.

Obviously, my issue is that I'm very weary of artist models. The JSX proved itself to me through sheer testing. Lucille looks like it has, but I don't want to be tricked. This is a lot of money, any way you slice it. I've wanted an SG for months and months, and this is the best one of the buck.
Last edited by Phantom123 at Jul 2, 2009,
i would say the SG would be the typical guitar for all your music choices but that's based off me not knowing what the 'Lucille' guitar is (don't flame me, i'm just not a big gibson fan)
probably the most versatile for you would be sg, could cover all the genres you mentioned. but it depends on what sort of sound you want, the lucille is completely different than the sg as you know. i would vote the sg just cos of its versatility, but if you are willing to get the lucille for the excellence it will give you for blues/jazz then go for it.
Tbh I wouldnt get either of those gutiars and would try out some other guitar shops, for the cost you could get a low-mid end PRS which would handle it all.
why not a les paul? id stay away from the lucille for what you want to play. The SG is a good choice but Im not a personal fan of the way the SG feels top heavy. Whats your price range? Are you absolutely set on a Gibson?

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
I've played lots of Lucilles (because I live in Memphis...) and a a couple of SG's, and if you're not sold on the SG just because they play better and arguably sound better, you should be because they can do types of music.
I love hollowbody's so much, but after reading what you play and all, I'd say the sg would be a better choice for you.
Okay... Well, let's start with the SG '61 Reissue.

* Mahogany body and neck
* Rosewood fretboard
* Gibson Classic '57 humbuckers at the neck and bridge
* Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece
* Corian nut
* 1.695" nut width ±.050"
* 22 frets
* 24-3/4" scale
* Grover Kluson-style green tuning keys
* Chrome-plated hardware
* 2 volume, 2 tone control, 3-way pickup switch
* Black top hat knobs with silver inserts
* Mother-of-pearl Gibson logo and holly headstock inlay
* Figured acrylic trapezoid fingerboard inlays
* Antique cream fingerboard binding
* Gibson hardshell case

Basically a great tone and an amazing construction. Arguably one of the most favored guitars in history.

And the Lucille

* Body: Maple
* Case Included: No
* Fingerboard: Rosewood
* Frets: 22
* Inlays: Block
* Machine Heads: Gold
* Neck Joint: Set Neck
* Neck Material: Maple
* Nut Width: 1.68"
* Pickups: 2 Humbuckers w/ Stereo Varitone
* Scale: 24 3/4"
* Top Wood: Laminated Maple
* Bridge: Tune-O-Matic
* Tailpiece: TP-6 fine tuning

First off, both are high end, though the Lucille is a high end Epiphone, which are better than low end gibsons.

But, at the same time, the SG is a rather high end guitar.

The More favorable pieces between them:
The SG features a Mahogany build. Mahogany is a rather preferred wood as compared to Maple. Next, both feature a rosewood fingerboard, so there's no loss in that respect. The Humbucker pickups offer a large variety. The tone on the SG is favorable for its authentic tone and construction (being based on the '57 SG), whereas, the BB king features the Varitone construction, which may be favorable to you as a blues player. Both feature a nice tune-o-matic bridge, so you'll be getting a nice bridge either way. The SG features the Corian nut, while the Lucille has no particular nut. However, the Lucille does feature Gold hardware, which aesthetically may be more appealing.

I have to say, in my opinion, both are great guitars, and would be a nice addition to anyone's rig.
SG! but i think you could find something as nice for less. but if you're set on one of the two, i vote SG
Lucille is a 335 and great for blues and soft rock.
Get the SG '61 re-issue. Its one of the few current Gibbys that might become a classic in time. Brilliant fast neck and classic tones that are still bang up-to-date. You can't go wrong.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Lucille is a 335 and great for blues and soft rock.
Get the SG '61 re-issue. Its one of the few current Gibbys that might become a classic in time. Brilliant fast neck and classic tones that are still bang up-to-date. You can't go wrong.

But the Lucille still owns with the varitone pick up system..