Page 1 of 2
I hope this is the right section for it but i need some help. I have been playing for 6 months maybe? Got the beast and the harlot 100% but i can't do the solo to save my life i do the right frets etc but I'm just too slow it seems, Can play the intro solo to Dream on perfectly hmm... what else uhhmm i can play eugene's trick bag and half speed maybe quarter of the speed lol.

Anyone have tips for a starting guitarist?

All self taught, 0 lessons 0 online lessons just me, tabs, and listening to the song 300 times to get timing right.
Relax. Time is not your enemy. You will get better over time. Your new, and therefor severly undeveloped. Just wait a few years before you stress out for not being able to play certain parts.
so just keep practicing more and more and more?

Just kind of thought with the progress I made within 2 months that I SHOULD be able to tackle a solo but I guess not.
its really not that you cant tackle a solo, its just that your tackling the wrong ones. if you want to get into soloing find the beginer solo thread. I have been playing a little longer then you, and i dont stress about the solos, or speed. speed and all that **** comes from good technique. just keep practicing man, and it never hurts to have a teacher (**** i just read an interview with the guy from shadows fall, and he is going to go work with a teacher, so if the pros do it...i dont see how it would hurt you to have one). even if you think you sound cooler saying "oh, ive never had a lesson" at the end of the day, it doesnt matter.
I have never heard the solo your talking about, but I can almost guarantee that 6 months isn't enough time to be able to play it. It takes time. Start off with some easier solos, maybe some classic rock or blues, then move up as your skill increases.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Its not that I feel cooler metal It comes down to money =) I'm pretty much spent food/payments/bills etc and I want people to know that I haven't so I don't get replies saying Practice "blah blah" or Do a "blah blah" cause I will not know what that means haha =)

@ sophist: Its the solo right after the first chorus "the high sweeping part"

@Metal again: So i just need to gradually go into harder solos instead of picking solos that sound fun/hard? "I like starting hard I always have, but if this is the recommended way I'll do it your way."
Well again, I am hitting all the notes accurately I just can't do it fast enough for this solo.
Someone with poor technique has a physical approach to an instrument that leads to great effort with little result, poor “tone” (as in the “tone” that comes from your fingers, not your amp), limited note choice, risk of injury, and so on.

Seems a bit in my catagory i practice a good 6-8 hours a day and still can't get most things I want down.

Thank you tenfold you are a very great helper =)
Quote by Yabooer
Well again, I am hitting all the notes accurately I just can't do it fast enough for this solo.
Don't worry about speed. Focus on accuracy - play it as slowly as you need to play it accurately, and develop coordination between you fretting hand and your picking hand. As your accuracy and coordination increase you'll speed up naturally. If you want to play along to the track slow it down to a speed you are comfortable at.
I definatly would zhilla but I don't know how I would slow a song down and I have already played the song at full speed except for the solo that is.
Audacity can slow the mp3 down (its free). You're better playing it slower and accurately because otherwise you're practicing your mistakes.
well I don't practice mistakes i record myself playing and if can hear where im making mistakes at and i correct myself. But i will get Audacity thank you =) all of you have been very helpful.

I'm using the other guy's tips playing the solo at a metronome speed that i can play it perfectly, currently at 152 1 beat playing the solo perfectly now if only I could break past 152 lol...
You will. The more times you play it perfectly - at any speed - the more you build muscle memory. Stay relaxed and try and avoid lifting your fingers too far off the fretboard and keep your picking strokes small too - economy of motion stuff - that will help let you speed up too. But don't push it too much - you'll speed up naturally without forcing it
trust me ill force it haha =) as i said before i usually practice 6-8 hours a day I go for NOTICEABLE improvements each day.
You can get noticeable improvements without forcing it - force yourself to play cleanly and accurately without economy of movement, and you'll soon notice your speed increasing Just make sure you stay relaxed, so you don't risk giving yourself carpal tunnel and having to take a couple of weeks off
Quote by tenfold
It's probably best you work on accuracy and timing with easy solos first.

Id say crank the gain all the way up as well to amplify your mistakes.
Try to stay clean.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
6-8 hours might seem good but it's actually counter-productive. If you have that much free time, try to break it up in blocks. Play for an hour, take a half hour break, play, break, etc.

Muscle memory really builds quicker if you stop and let your brain absorb what you played. Playing over an hour straight is basically overkill and your body won't learn anything new after that.

Try to find every bit of tension in your body (not just your picking hands and shoulders) and eliminate/reduce what you can.

Other advice: read all you can about technique and practice. Google it, search UG, watch videos online, all that. Take in what seems to really make sense, reject what strongly seems to not make sense, and ask people or the forum if you're not sure about something.

Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Id say crank the gain all the way up as well to amplify your mistakes.
Try to stay clean.

This can help muting, but to really get a good tone with the fingers you need a clean tone. Distortion can cover up mistakes pretty well and later down the road you might have a crappy tone or run into other problems.
Last edited by tenfold at Jul 2, 2009,
Think about how long the guitarist played before he wrote that solo. I guarantee it was longer than six months. Work on accuracy and musicality. If you're musical and you're accurate and you have good technique (economy of motion, no anchoring, good posture, etc.), speed will come naturally. You don't have to play 16th notes to a metronome increasing by 1 bpm every hour to get fast. You just have to play and practice well (read: correctly). Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
Quote by tenfold

This can help muting, but to really get a good tone with the fingers you need a clean tone. Distortion can cover up mistakes pretty well and later down the road you might have a crappy tone or run into other problems.

How can you practice with high gain and then find out you have a crappy tone?
When you play with uber gain...harmonics and other overtones have a habit of
jumping out at you. Some of these tones won't even come out unless you have
a bit of gain. This makes your more aware of what's going on with your hands
and fingers that are not being used. Having every mistake amplified really forces
you to play cleaner.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
How can you practice with high gain and then find out you have a crappy tone?
When you play with uber gain...harmonics and other overtones have a habit of
jumping out at you. Some of these tones won't even come out unless you have
a bit of gain. This makes your more aware of what's going on with your hands
and fingers that are not being used. Having every mistake amplified really forces
you to play cleaner.

I don't mean cleaner in a muting sense, but in the clarity of the fretted notes.
I'd say practicing with both would be a good idea. Play with a clean setting to focus on making sure your notes are picked and fretted cleanly (no intonation, buzzing, etc.). And play on a high gain setting to make sure your muting is very strict (no extra strings ringing, good muting, etc.).
well i stay up pretty late I just got back from paintballing and i usually stay up till about 5ish and i play when i wake up when i eat when im looking up music.

It's not that I'm forcing myself to play, I JUST like playing the guitar its fun for me I could sit at home and not worry about bills food etc... and be fine with a guitar amp picks and what not.

I do understand what your talking about when saying take breaks because every morning I'm better. NOTICEABLE better lol

Can someone explain economy of motion, no anchoring, good posture

When i play i feel that my posture is fine? I play the most comfortable way for me idk if thats right or what though.
Economy of motion is basically getting the most out of the littlest effort. Making small, precise movements to get what you want takes less effort than making large, wild pick motions. This also means using less finger pressure and moving your fingers in the most efficient way (i.e. don't pick your fingers up when switching chords if they stay in the same place. Like if you're moving from a Dsus4 to a G. The 3rd fret on the high E string would be the same finger, so leave it there. Get it?).

Anchoring is when you have to have a part of your HAND fixed on the guitar at all times to play. This means holding your hand on the bridge (unless you're palm muting, which is a technique) or putting your pinky on the guitar is anchoring. It restrains the motion in your wrist and can lead to all sorts of bad stuff in your wrist if you do it for long enough. There's a sticky about it in the guitar techniques forum, I believe.

Good posture... I think Freepower has a vid about posture. Look that up. Basically for posture though, you need to be in a comfortable position in which you aren't hunched over. Also, you need to have both your arms be able to comfortably stay in playing position for a while without hurting, cramping, etc. Basically, the most relaxed you can be while maintaining a good posture (spine in line, etc.).

Hope this helps.
Quote by Yabooer
I do understand what your talking about when saying take breaks because every morning I'm better. NOTICEABLE better lol

Yeah that was one of the first breakthroughs I had. When I practiced for 4 hours straight, I would see a little improvement the next day. But I could get the same results with a half hour of focused practice.
You should get a pen, some paper, and write down everything you want to learn in order of importance, and make some goals. Make a practice regimen, keep track of your progress with a metronome, maybe even videos if you can, it's always fun to visually see how much you've progressed.

As for your questions, timeconsumer09 pretty much covered it.
Here are some links to further explain what he's saying:
The Guide To All Techniques
The Ultimate Guide To Guitar
Freepower's video lessons
slow it down, halve or divide the tempo by four (I dont actually know the song of which you speak so this mightn't be possible)
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
I know I am doing horrible atm but If someone could critic on my playing skills? ill try posting a link soon enough.

Critic as in bad posture bad fingering etc
Since you haven't been playing that long, and judging by your posts, you don't have a lot of experience playing solos. It's frustrating when you haven't been playing long to not be able to play a badass solo that doesn't seem like it should be that hard. I don't know if it'll help much, but here's some solos that are fun and actually quite easy compared to what you're trying to play:

Stricken by Disturbed
Alive by Pearl Jam
Re-Align by Godsmack
Holy Diver by Killswitch Engage
The Power of I and I by Shadows Fall
Taste the Poison by Story of the Year
Tread the Floods by Trivium

Just like other posters have said, technique and speed both take time. By the way, playing Eugene's Trick Bag is a great warm-up and it's great that you're even able to play that at all so far. Try using it as an exercise for technique and gradually build speed on it. If you can get up to around 80% as fast as the recording, you'll be doing really great and should be showing great improvements in other songs as well. Hope this helps...
Quote by Yabooer
I hope this is the right section for it but i need some help. I have been playing for 6 months maybe? Got the beast and the harlot 100% but i can't do the solo to save my life i do the right frets etc but I'm just too slow it seems, Can play the intro solo to Dream on perfectly hmm... what else uhhmm i can play eugene's trick bag and half speed maybe quarter of the speed lol.

Anyone have tips for a starting guitarist?

All self taught, 0 lessons 0 online lessons just me, tabs, and listening to the song 300 times to get timing right.

you've been playing 6 months. i think you are expecting too much too fast.
Quote by As Bridges Burn
Just like other posters have said, technique and speed both take time. By the way, playing Eugene's Trick Bag is a great warm-up and it's great that you're even able to play that at all so far. Try using it as an exercise for technique and gradually build speed on it. If you can get up to around 80% as fast as the recording, you'll be doing really great and should be showing great improvements in other songs as well. Hope this helps...

Are any of those Drop D? or have tremolo picking/tapping? those are my big 2 good areas that I'm very good at.

I do use it as a warmup =) I actually practice it a good ammount of times everyday and get faster at it everyday. It really stretch's out that pinky which i like since i don't use it too much.

@blind in 1 ear: I just kind of hoped to get a little more results from how long I've been playing (countless hours a day) for 6 months straight.
Last edited by Yabooer at Jul 3, 2009,
im doing the exact same thing u are but im going on 5 years now and what i did was start off with easier songs like Stairway to heaven to get my accuracy and speed better but when working with fast or difficult solos i did it VERY slow at the beginning to get all the notes then progressively get faster until i got it

one thing u gotta remember is not to force it on yourself or u will never get it and you could also look on utube to see how other people play it which helps alot. in time you'll be able to nail solo's quicker and you will be able to play alot faster
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
little bit of advice i live metal music and every thing but my first guitar was an acoustic. like tenfold said distortion covers up mistakes. it may sound good now but l8r not so much. an acoustic or clean tone will make u sound relativly crappy but u'll be better l8r. think a baseball player who swings with a donut on his bat it slows his bat down so when he takes it off he swings twice as fast
^^^^ *giggles* I'll never quit i was seeking out some help on how to get better was all like exercises tips etc...

I don't play with distortion I play with regular clean setting.

Yes I am a bit upset I can't nail it but I'm also happy that I can't because i see drastic improvements from playing it a second a note to going a bit faster and faster than going back to slow than faster and faster (repeats) So far its the most improving way to practice the solo from what I've found.

@Bass: Stairway to heaven was one of my first songs, I have learned Misirlou Dream on, The trooper 666, the number of the beast, Phantom of the Opera, Dance of death, Dream of Mirrors (I do understand that Maiden solos are near impossible lol), Beast and the Harlot, Float on, The white unicorn, Eruption, Black & blue, Joker and the thief and maybe a couple more I'm forgetting.

New Song: I am learning ====> Valley of the Damned -Dragonforce
The solo tricks me there is tapping but a sweep it seems? Tab won't show me the correct way =\

Something about me loves going after those hard songs.

You don't understand how dedicated I am to my "76 Gibson S-1.
Last edited by Yabooer at Jul 3, 2009,
lmao u know most of the same songs i do but congrats to u if you can play them

and i just took a look at the dragonforce song and if ur talking about the intro to the solo it sounds like sweep but maybe he taps with his pick on the 1st note but i think u'll be fine in about a year or 2 if u dont get too pissed off
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
lol i was listening to it with just the album cover on the front saw a video of Herman Li playing it live HOLY **** there is no way any time soon will i be able to play it haha. I want a song that will challenge me, but not devastate me (That song) I learned everything up to the solo its easy just the solo is hmm well impossible lol.

Anyone wana throw up some songs that are challenging but not too hard I really enjoy tapping =).

Or do you think i should stick with it and keep trying?
Last edited by Yabooer at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by Yabooer
Are any of those Drop D? or have tremolo picking/tapping? those are my big 2 good areas that I'm very good at.

This might sound backwards to you but the way to get better technically is to play things that you have trouble with specifically. That will not only increase your ability to play that once-weak skill, but your other skills will become noticeably better.
Quote by Yabooer
The solo tricks me there is tapping but a sweep it seems? Tab won't show me the correct way =\

There is a combination skill called sweep-tapping. It's quite hard to do, and I don't recommend you try it yet.
Quote by Yabooer
Yes I am a bit upset I can't nail it but I'm also happy that I can't because i see drastic improvements from playing it a second a note to going a bit faster and faster than going back to slow than faster and faster (repeats) So far its the most improving way to practice the solo from what I've found.

Drastic improvements take a while, so don't get upset that you can't play hard things yet. Getting upset is counter-productive, which will in turn make you more upset. Just look at it from a viewpoint of "Ok, I can't play this up to speed yet, but with focused, correct practice I eventually will."

Exercises with awkward movements and weird finger positions will benefit you greatly.
I recommend that you study this thread: Ultimate Exercises Thread
And I highly recommend you watch John Petrucci - Rock Discipline. It can do wonders for technique, and after working on those exercises for a while, those solos will seem much easier because your fingers will have learned finger independence. It will be good to watch the first 4 videos of Freepower's Lessons Playlist before you watch Rock Discipline.
try something easier.. it is as simple as that

Try metallica solos, they are usually played "sloppy" anyway
so mistakes are apart of it
Page 1 of 2