In the market for my first tube amp (an upgrade from a Marshall MG series), and i'm having a hard time deciding which amp best fits me. I absolutely love the sound of Orange amps, and plan to buy one eventually, but handing out 1200-1500 dollars for a Rocker 30W Combo just seems a little much for me at the moment.

I find myself playing mostly classic rock and hard rock, and was wondering if anyone had any advice they could give me on a tube amp that would give me the most bang for my buck. I have been searching through these forums for a while now and just can't seem to decide on my own. I would prefer to spend under $1,000.00, but if it comes down to it I may just end up going all out for the Orange.
Check the following:

Vox AC50
Vox AC100
Traynor YCS50
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Butcher
Peavey VTM
Peavey Classic 30 or 50
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by Reaperc89
In the market for my first tube amp (an upgrade from a Marshall MG series), and i'm having a hard time deciding which amp best fits me. I absolutely love the sound of Orange amps, and plan to buy one eventually, but handing out 1200-1500 dollars for a Rocker 30W Combo just seems a little much for me at the moment.

I find myself playing mostly classic rock and hard rock, and was wondering if anyone had any advice they could give me on a tube amp that would give me the most bang for my buck. I have been searching through these forums for a while now and just can't seem to decide on my own. I would prefer to spend under $1,000.00, but if it comes down to it I may just end up going all out for the Orange.

Tiny Terror with a nice 2x12? You could probably do it around $800.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Raijouta
Check the following:

Vox AC50
Vox AC100

Don't you mean

AC15 or
AC30 ?

either way these two amps by Vox are very good for classic rock, they have really chimy, sparkly clean tones and do have that natural overdrive at high volumes... the only thing is those high volumes will be loud as all hell.

Vox AC15 or AC30 with pedals is an amazing rig
Last edited by Angry-Mares at Jul 2, 2009,
No, I meant AC50 and AC100. The 15 and 30 don't really get enough gain to do hard rock IMO, although Slash apparently used a 30 for Velvet Revolver's first album.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i think he means ac 50 and ac 100
yeah ur right the ac 15 and 30 have nice clean sound but the ac 50 and 100 are a bit darker and are more suited for hard rock but i heard the clean was also good. but if i were u id go all out and get the orange
I suggest an Egnator Rebel 20w and a good 2x12 cabinet. Has some realy cool features, like variable wattage, blendable EL84 and 6V6 power tubes and different voicings. With the matching 2x12 cabinet, it comes in at around $1,050, but you could always buy a cheaper 2x12 cab.
Quote by qotsa1998
I suggest an Egnator Rebel 20w and a good 2x12 cabinet. Has some realy cool features, like variable wattage, blendable EL84 and 6V6 power tubes and different voicings. With the matching 2x12 cabinet, it comes in at around $1,050, but you could always buy a cheaper 2x12 cab.

why not look into the Blackstar HT-5. i liked it better then the Egnator, at a fraction of the price
Are you going to gig? If not, no way you need a 50-100 watt amp.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by Angry-Mares
Don't you mean

AC15 or
AC30 ?

either way these two amps by Vox are very good for classic rock, they have really chimy, sparkly clean tones and do have that natural overdrive at high volumes... the only thing is those high volumes will be loud as all hell.

Vox AC15 or AC30 with pedals is an amazing rig

Rhoads_1096 approves this message
Look into these and you could find a used Rocker 30 for under $1000
I was just in the market for a smaller tube amp, looking to spend $500-$800. I ended up between the Blues Jr., AC15, and Blackheart HT-5, which I ended up getting. All three are very awesome, but at the end of the day, the Blackheart has the most versatility on its own. I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and I love it. You can get tons of different sounds out of it, and since its only 5 watts, you can crank the clean channel and stuff to really experiment. If you're gigging a lot, you might want something bigger though.

Oh, and it really can nail classic rock and hard rock IMO. It has a lot of gain on tap, despite some people saying it can't do metal, I think it could do a lot of metal, maybe not the heaviest stuff. Classic Rock though is awesome with this amp.
My Gear:

Gibson SG Standard (heritage cherry)
Traynor YCV40WR
Korg Pitchblack
Fulltone Fulldrive 2

Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Fender MIM Strat (black)
Dunlop Crybaby
Last edited by Quenton Cassidy at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by Quenton Cassidy
I was just in the market for a smaller tube amp, looking to spend $500-$800. I ended up between the Blues Jr., AC15, and Blackheart HT-5, which I ended up getting. All three are very awesome, but at the end of the day, the Blackheart has the most versatility on its own. I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and I love it. You can get tons of different sounds out of it, and since its only 5 watts, you can crank the clean channel and stuff to really experiment. If you're gigging a lot, you might want something bigger though.

Oh, and it really can nail classic rock and hard rock IMO. It has a lot of gain on tap, despite some people saying it can't do metal, I think it could do a lot of metal, maybe not the heaviest stuff. Classic Rock though is awesome with this amp.

do u mean blackstar because the 5 watt model for blackheart is a little giant while the blackstar is an ht-5
there is a rocker on my clist for $950. been there a while. look around. what major city?
I'm closest to Orlando atm. I'm liking the idea of the tiny terror with a cab, or the HT-5. Was originally considering a combo for portability, but having the flexibility of a respectable cab would reduce the cost of future upgrades.
check the orlando craigslist musical inst page. ht5h you dont see as often as TTs, but have a look. an orange ad5 would work too if you like that tone. also maybe a used night train, although its a bit brighter.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by tubetime86
Tiny Terror with a nice 2x12? You could probably do it around $800.

yea, very true, and they sound like real orange material, real nice amps
Look into the following-
Peavey Classic 30
Vox Night Train + cab
Vox AC15
Egnater Rebel 20 + cab
Orange Tiny Terror + cab
Blackstar HT-5

btw, do you gig?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Nah I don't find myself gigging right now, just mostly jamming myself and with friends. I've had this MG series Marshall for a while, and didn't realize how much of a joke it really was until I tested out a few other amps in the area. Thank you all for the help you have been giving me, and I have found the HT-5, Tiny Terror, and the Egnater Rebel to all be very nice little amps to consider. I think I will sit on it for a few days and see what I end up wanting more :P.
So I ended up getting an Orange Tiny Terror and a 2x12 open back cabinet. I am extremely happy with my purchase, and would 100% recommend it to anyone that is looking for something similar. I spent around $900 dollars, but it could be attained for less. Since I bought a respectable cab, this also leaves my future upgrade or expansion options cheaper!
Quote by Reaperc89
So I ended up getting an Orange Tiny Terror and a 2x12 open back cabinet. I am extremely happy with my purchase, and would 100% recommend it to anyone that is looking for something similar. I spent around $900 dollars, but it could be attained for less. Since I bought a respectable cab, this also leaves my future upgrade or expansion options cheaper!

Nice!!!!
Congratulations!
haha Now make a NAD thread!!!!

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I got my Boogie Maverick 212 for $600, used, and it's a fantastic amp. Go used for sure...
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Your options are endless for a $1000 budget and used amps. Marshalls, Peaveys, even some Mesas, you can find a good used one for that budget. Do some heavy research and play as many as you can in a guitar shop.
He got an amp bro. See above (below).

Quote by Reaperc89

Not my thing but congrats on your new amp.
glad you found a good amp for you. make a nad thread. woot.
i got my Crate v50 for 200 bucks, its a great amp for progressive, and the cleans are pretty awesome.
Quote by hide_the_beer
"The sun is a cube, not a sphere."

"The sun is a cube, not a sphere."

crazy?

Quote by hide_the_beer
Aw man. Out of context! People are going to think I'm crazy.

"The sun is a sphere, not a cube."

"The sun is a sphere, not a cube."

nope
Check out:
Vox AC30
Mesa Mark IV/V
Marshall JCM 800 2203 for more classic sound, 2210 for more versatility
Marshall JCM 900 SLX for more gain
Marshall 6100 (MatrixClaw loves these amps)
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

he got an amp guys....