Hi, I have a Carvin V3 combo and for some reason, it sounds better quiet as opposed to cranked. When I barely have the volumes on 1 I can get a really nice distortion or overdrive. But when I turn it up it gets all bassy, noisy, feedbacky, and muddy. I don't know why it's like this but I thought some of you might.
Maybe check your tube bias?

EDIT: BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU DO THAT. YOU CAN GET ELECTROCUTED.
I've tried redoing the settings but no matter how much presence I cut or whatever it still sounds worse then when the volume is at 1.
is it the room you're playing in? if i play my amp in my room it sounds super bassy, if i move to the living room it shrills like hell.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
What type of music do you play? It might just be as simple as your a metal guy and dont like power tube saturation.. Also you have to adjust your settings as you turn it up.
I play mostly shred, is there anything I can do to make it less muddy and fizzy at high volumes?

To Conor: that may be it actually, I havent gone anywhere with this amp yet.
Quote by Chickenparts
It's biased for EL34's which is what I have in it currently.

Unless that amp is fixed bias, and not many are, bias can drift over time. Many amps even come from the factory biased cold. There are several tutorials on the net about how to bias an amp, all you need is a small screwdriver and a multimeter.

Otherwise, you can take it to a tech.
Quote by Chickenparts
I play mostly shred, is there anything I can do to make it less muddy and fizzy at high volumes?

To Conor: that may be it actually, I havent gone anywhere with this amp yet.

it could also be where its at in the room, i used to keep my 2X12 in the leg room under my desk, sounded like shat, i moved it and it was alright. the room still sucks acoustically though. (im referring to how the sound in general sounds, not playing with an acoustic )
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by Blaster Bob
Unless that amp is fixed bias, and not many are, bias can drift over time. Many amps even come from the factory biased cold. There are several tutorials on the net about how to bias an amp, all you need is a small screwdriver and a multimeter.

Otherwise, you can take it to a tech.

Its got a bias switch to go from El34 to 6l6. Can it still become unbiased?
^Yes if it is not fixed bias. Personally I think you have tube issue, bad power tube or a micophonic preamp tube.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Just a question, is it on the floor? If so, try elevating it, with a stool or a chair or something.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by conor1148
is it the room you're playing in? if i play my amp in my room it sounds super bassy, if i move to the living room it shrills like hell.

This. I've got a 1936cab (closed back) on a carpeted floor. As you can imagine i really noticed that there was a lot more bass because of this than when i had my old vox valvetronix on top of another amp about 3 ft off the ground. Luckily my room is pretty dead sounding (although i can open the door to the tiled bathroom and get awesome reverb ). Interestingly in the living room the same setup sounds much more high endy..

This is of course abit of a problem so maybe try moving the amp, face it different directions or maybe face it towards something soft like a bed?
Quote by Zoot Allures
This. I've got a 1936cab (closed back) on a carpeted floor. As you can imagine i really noticed that there was a lot more bass because of this than when i had my old vox valvetronix on top of another amp about 3 ft off the ground. Luckily my room is pretty dead sounding (although i can open the door to the tiled bathroom and get awesome reverb ). Interestingly in the living room the same setup sounds much more high endy..

This is of course abit of a problem so maybe try moving the amp, face it different directions or maybe face it towards something soft like a bed?

+1, try the fixes that will be free before you haul your amp off to be fixed (expensive!)
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.