Heeeey everyone!

Ive been playing guitar for like 3 years, and ive learnt tons of theory etc etc and can play songs, make up songs or w.e. but i never really learnt about the gear, such as pickups, frets and necks etc and i was wondering.....

WOULD AN EMG 81 AT THE BRIDGE GO ON MY IBANEZ RGR321EX-BK(http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rgr321exbk.htm) AND SOUND BETTER THAN IT WITH THE INFINITY 2 THAT IS CURRENTLY THERE AT THE MOMENT

ALL FEEDBACK AND RECCOMENDATIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED

BTW I PLAY STYLES OF MUSIC SUCH AS BRING ME THE HORIZON, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE AND OTHER METALCORE/METAL BANDS

TearsAndBlood x
first things first, wat amp do you use and do you plan on replacing all the pick ups in your guitar
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
Yes. Although if your amp sucks, it won't help much. And if you've got a solid state amp with a lack of headroom at the input, it might clip and sound crap without backing the volume off on the pickup.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I have a roland 30x Cube AMP
And im not sure if i will replace the infinity 1 as well with an 85 EMG yet, will it make a diff if i just replace one?
just go ahead and get the 81/85 combo. dont just get an 81, the tone you get from an 81 in my opinion is.. well the only way to explain it would be saying its "backgroundy" if that makes any sense.

85 sounds great, and the 85 and the 81 together sound great aswell. I say go for it, but make sure you get those active pickups running on 18volts instead of just 9!
mmm ok, i need the money first, thats why i was just considering getting just the 81
How to i make sure i get 18 volts? im not technical with that part of guitars? Is there a small battery that it needs to be run on that has to be 18v?
its just that im pretty sure the stock pick ups in your guitar are passives and it'll be alot of work mixing active and passive pick ups, it will be easier to go with a good passive, and for drop tunnings as the above bands you mention i suggest the D-sonic in the bridge, but it might be better to save your money for a better amp, there is nothing wrong with your amp but it is only for practice and a amp upgrade will do alot more for you.
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
Last edited by whoswt at Jul 2, 2009,
If it sounds good is up to you. We can't magically know what you'll like. I personally don't like EMGs. They're only good for distortion, a certain type.
I did two posts coz i ****ed up the other one, sorry eveyone
Anyway, yeh fair enough but im not sure what the emg's would sounds like because there is no person with the same amp as me that has an EMG 81 and 85 that i can listen to and compare
and as for passive pickups, that makes sense. Thanks
And to really confuse you, my EMG's CAN be the cleanest pups I ever used. But you have to learn what the nearest knob is for. Always having them on full blast is a waste of a great pickup. Distortion? Yes that as well, of course. Anything above about 7 and the EMG's go on where passives can't go. But remember they were invented for Blues and Jazz as a boost for clean sounds.
The other thing I notice is that they are much more responsive to small changes on the other knob. Lots of tones once yo take the time to get used to them.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by TearsAndBlood
I did two posts coz i ****ed up the other one, sorry eveyone

You can elete and/or edit it.

Anyway, yeh fair enough but im not sure what the emg's would sounds like because there is no person with the same amp as me that has an EMG 81 and 85 that i can listen to and compare
and as for passive pickups, that makes sense. Thanks

Ibanez makes a few models with EMG's I believe, try one of them out and compare next time you're at a store.

And it really depends more on your amp than your guitar.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
But a 81/85 pickup set, the zack wylde is the set with the 81/85 combo.

The Kerry king set also has an 81/85, with an added switch, it costs a bit more though

And finally, theres a 81/85 camo set available as well, and its the cheapest of the three, but only by about 4 dollars.

The pickups are stock ready to run 9 volts, you have to make the 18 volt mod yourself, but its very easy. You just need a splitter that will allow you to connect two 9 volts instead of just one.

My suggestion is you get ethier the camo set, or the zak wylde set, and then have sombody locally install the pickups for you. You can tell them you want 18 volts run to the pickups instead of just 9.

The pickups will be like 200 dollars and the installation cost me 60 dollars, but local prices will vary.

And yeah, everyone else is right when they say you gonna want a better amp. I still have a ****ty amp and I got my 81/85 installed. my buddy brings over his valve once and awhile and it absoluetly spoils me.

EDIT:
Also just in case your not clear, Passive pickups are pickups that don't require batteries.

Active pickups do require batteries, and you should make sure you have enough room in your guitar to put batteries. If not, it may cost even more money to have a section of your guitar cut out to hold them.

But, if you have enough space under your panel for two batteries to sit on top of everything, that will work. Just make sure the batteries sit on top of the foam provided with the pickups, So the batteries dont touch any of the electronics.
Last edited by Vypor at Jul 2, 2009,