I am looking for a new amp and I could use some help. I am looking for an all tube combo. I want an amp that gets me a bluesy sound like the Black Keys but can also handle Zeppelin and other rock. Also I'm lookingfor an amp that costs no more than $1000. Are there any older amps that fit this description?
Last edited by murph3917 at Jul 2, 2009,
i found a Randall RM80 Combo on ebay for $350. don't let the price fool you, it is a really great amp. all you need is two MTS modules and you are set. i would recommend the Blackface and Plexi/JTM. here is a website that will help you decide.

http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Peavey Classic 50 212
Honestly now.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
look at used marshalls. or the peavey classic as previously mentioned. used is always a great method when u have a budget under $1k. maybe valveking
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
now i dont really know the black keys sound, but i looked up their guitarist's gear and he uses marshalls and fenders. dont know which is more used in his sound though. however, for page stuff marshall is the way to go. by which i mean something with a marshally or brittish sound.

some palces to start are:
peavey classics- however you can definately get a better amp for $1000
traynor ycv 40 or 50- dont remember which is the one people like more
ceriatone amps- look up some of their marshall copies, they are supposed to sound great

then theres a few fenders in that price range as well, though fender is going to get more of the blues sound and less of the hard rock sound.

thats just for new amps. used opens up a huge new realm, but it kinda depends on where you are. ebay is good, but things like craigslist are better because you can try before you buy. also, use any suggestions as a place to start your search, there are tons of amps out there and only by trying stuff out will you find what fits you best.
im thinking hughes and kettner edition tube perhaps
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys uses Marshalls to handle the fuzz, and Fender for cleans, IIRC. Jimmy Page used Marshall's also, so IMO, a Ceriatone Marshall clone looks right up your alley.

Plexi's are really loud, so if that's a problem, I would look into the Ceriatone's 18 watter clone.
Quote by jof1029
now i dont really know the black keys sound, but i looked up their guitarist's gear and he uses marshalls and fenders. dont know which is more used in his sound though. however, for page stuff marshall is the way to go. by which i mean something with a marshally or brittish sound.

some palces to start are:
peavey classics- however you can definately get a better amp for $1000
traynor ycv 40 or 50- dont remember which is the one people like more
ceriatone amps- look up some of their marshall copies, they are supposed to sound great

then theres a few fenders in that price range as well, though fender is going to get more of the blues sound and less of the hard rock sound.

thats just for new amps. used opens up a huge new realm, but it kinda depends on where you are. ebay is good, but things like craigslist are better because you can try before you buy. also, use any suggestions as a place to start your search, there are tons of amps out there and only by trying stuff out will you find what fits you best.
Page also used Orange/Matamp amps.

You may be able to find an Orange Rocker 30 for your kind of money

Although it's not a combo, it's still a nice deal. You may have to wait until a combo is listed within your price bounds.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Orange-Rocker-30-Orange-2x12-Cabinet_W0QQitemZ160346091775QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item25555f30ff&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A4|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A200

It also depends on whether you want a bedroom amp or a gigging amp, or both?
Quote by JKMV11
i found a Randall RM80 Combo on ebay for $350. don't let the price fool you, it is a really great amp. all you need is two MTS modules and you are set. i would recommend the Blackface and Plexi/JTM. here is a website that will help you decide.

http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

Good Luck.

be careful with this one i found on ebay. it looks like the seller is posting it in two different cities. one is on ebay out of Grand Blanc, MI, the other is on craigslist out of Bloomington, Indianapolis.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/1228293680.html

just want to point out this irregularity and make sure we avoid potential scams.

but don't rule out the Randall MTS series; it is an impresive amp. it is like a modelling amp that actually sounds great. but don't confuse it with a modelling amp; each module is based off of the circuitry of a certain amp and has two 12AX7's. check out the RM50 instead. it has two modular channels, a reverb tank, a parallel and series FX loop, tube bias section, two 6l6's, world voltage selector, and more.

good luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Get a peavey butcher
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one