So, I've been practicing on an acoustic for a good month now, picking up an electric for band practice and if I just wanna mess around.

Been doing good 30 minute sessions every hour and a half every day for nearly a month.

I've recently tried playing my electric now and... it's amazingly hard.

The strings are like feathers, and I can barely feel them. I end up screwing up power chords by putting 2 fingers on one string because I can't feel the strings...

Messing with my head.

Any suggestions?
I love electric, I just love the feel of an acoustic more.
Drink the sauce. Go on, it's okay. Just remember, I am the quest.

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Quote by El_KINGG33
Put On Some Thicker Strings! What Gauge Do You Have On Now??

Yeah definately. I switched from 9's to 10's a little while after I started electric guitar, and even that makes a huge difference.
I have no clue what gauge. Totally forget... Which reminds me, I do need to replace them anyways.
To be completely honest, I don't think I'd know what gauge even if I had the pack

Clueless about the physical guitar

On the top of my acoustics string pack, it says

.012 .016 .024 .032 .042 .052
60L

I'm not quite sure what this means... Is that that gauge?

Again, I'm an idiot when it comes to guitar maintenance and such.

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Quote by Bubbles203
So, I've been practicing on an acoustic for a good month now, picking up an electric for band practice and if I just wanna mess around.

Been doing good 30 minute sessions every hour and a half every day for nearly a month.

I've recently tried playing my electric now and... it's amazingly hard.

The strings are like feathers, and I can barely feel them. I end up screwing up power chords by putting 2 fingers on one string because I can't feel the strings...

Messing with my head.

Any suggestions?
I love electric, I just love the feel of an acoustic more.

Play the one you want to play. There really is nothing you need to do other than deal with the fact that it feels slightly different and then adjust.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 2, 2009,
i'd recommend using about the same electric gauge as you do on your acoustic so the transition won't be difficult. i also recommend making sure your guitar is set up for your string size
you can play both, i had the exact same problem u did and i just worked with both for a while until i was used to them both but i prefer the electric because my acoustic is terrible
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by ShoeFactory
switch to 10s

how do you bend with 12s?!?!

Thanks for answering, subtly

I have beastly fingers

Quote by illuminatiano
Quote by ShoeFactory
switch to 10s

you dont.

try some heavy top skinny bottoms so you can play powerchords and have the thickness at the top, and still play solos on the higher strings. Thats what i have on, cuz i play drop tuned usualy.
it depends what kind of music he wants to play

if he wants to be able to express with bends or if he wants to play some drop tuned metalcore nonsense.

i advise him to just adjust to 9s or 10s. electric guitar isn't supposed to be played exactly like an acoustic.
I play 11s and depending where I am on the neck and which string I can generally bend between a tone or a tone and a half, two tones in certain places. If you come from classical or acoustic guitaring, bending heavy gauges isn't that hard. It's good to have a bit of resistance.

So stick with 11s (even 12s or 13s if you want) and just practise. You'll get used to it.
i suggest you play with 10s, i play with 9s and it can be sloppy sometimes but i like it. but if you want more acoustic feeling take 10s or even 11s
Yes those number are the gauge, and if that's what you use on the acoustic I'd recommed going with 10 gauge on your electric. it really depends on what style you're going to want to begin to play. I mean if you want to play a bunch of just rock then you might as well begin getting used to 9/10 gauge strings. But if you're gonna go into like Stevie ray Vaughan Blues or something, you might want an even higher gauge on your electric.
Quote by ShoeFactory
switch to 10s

Like you do with every other string, you push them up...
Quote by RCalisto
if you're talking about classical guitar, it should make electric much easier to play. i know it made it much easier to me. i've dropped electric now though. not as much independence to do anything as a classical has.

not as much independence? really?...
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by RCalisto
if you're talking about classical guitar, it should make electric much easier to play. i know it made it much easier to me. i've dropped electric now though. not as much independence to do anything as a classical has.

I always felt that playing classical guitar was more straight forward then Electric.

Like improvising isn't big on the classical.
i found it easy to go from acoustic to electric, its probably the string gauge though.
Always Rock!
Quote by s12k17
i found it easy to go from acoustic to electric, its probably the string gauge though.

+1

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I always felt that playing classical guitar was more straight forward then Electric.

Like improvising isn't big on the classical.

improvising is a big part of any style.

I had the same problem. I didn't switch strings, I just kept looking at what I did. Eventually i just learned to place my fingers.

It's the samething when you play xbox or type your keyboard. You just need to get used to where you place your fingers. In the end you'll be able to do it in the dark.
Quote by El_KINGG33
you dont.

Sure you do...I bend on .16s
Last edited by Beserker at Jul 10, 2009,
i suggest you switch to a higher string guage. seeing as you are used to heavier strings already, it should be fine. make sure you get your guitar set up for this though. you'll need a truss rod adjustment as well as intonation and maybe the nut slots filed. i do that all myself but i wouldnt tell you to do it because you could mess up the neck and nut if you dont know how. the reason why i adjust the nut is because electrics arent usually set up for big strings. the slots are smaller that acoustics and not as deep. so it makes the strings harder to press down. so i deepen and widen the slots the make it easier. i do this on acoustics too actually just because i dont like how some are set. but thats a personal prefrence of mine.

i use ernie ball not even slinkys which are 12, 16, 24, 32, 44, 56. one thing thats great about bigger strings is you get a thicker tone. but it is a bit harder to bend. most people that use bigger strings tend to down tune the guitar. i go down to Eb to help a bit with the tension because i like to do some wide bends. and its tough to do in standard. i can do it in standard, but i choose to do it in Eb to make it a bit easier.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear

i use ernie ball not even slinkys which are 12, 16, 24, 32, 44, 56. one thing thats great about bigger strings is you get a thicker tone. but it is a bit harder to bend. most people that use bigger strings tend to down tune the guitar. i go down to Eb to help a bit with the tension because i like to do some wide bends. and its tough to do in standard. i can do it in standard, but i choose to do it in Eb to make it a bit easier.

I use that set too, but i tune down to D standard.

I think that set is just right for people that started on bass(like me) or acoustic and decided to change to electric.

Quote by allislost
I use that set too, but i tune down to D standard.

I think that set is just right for people that started on bass(like me) or acoustic and decided to change to electric.

i go down to D sometimes. usually i do that if i have no money for strings and they are getting a little too tight. that or if a song calls for it. i usually put my acoustics in D actually. i think acoustics sound better in a lower tuning....plus its easier to play.