What exactly is this:

Is there a way to remove it? How do I prevent this on a future, higher-end strat?

Thanks

EDIT: Its kind of a greenish color, the camera sucks.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by Gh057
Chances are, on a higher end strat, it won't stain due to the wood its made of.

What about a MIM Strat, might be getting one but havent decided.
Quote by Pac_man0123
If it's a light-green colour and is slightly raised compared to the rest of the finish, it's something from playing it that develops on the neck and i can't figure out how to gently remove it.

Yeah, and same
looks like u wore down the stain or what Pac_Man said with the playing, if thats the case just wipe ur strings down very well and u should have a problem like that
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by Gh057
Chances are, on a higher end strat, it won't stain due to the wood its made of.

Maple is Maple, it doesn't matter what brand guitar it's on. If it stains one piece of maple it will stain another. It could be due to the finish and treatment of it, but it is not because of the type of wood.
Quote by Ape_Natural
Maple is Maple, it doesn't matter what brand guitar it's on. If it stains one piece of maple it will stain another. It could be due to the finish and treatment of it, but it is not because of the type of wood.

Is there any way of keeping maple in good shape other than wiping it down?
Quote by Ape_Natural

Well some maple is finished. My American Deluxe neck is satin finished but Ibanez RGs (Prestige at least) are completely unfinished. But does that happen to finished necks?
Quote by Ape_Natural

This can't be any less correct. Different companies buy different qualities of wood. "Maple" is anything that comes from a (you guessed it) maple tree. The area the tree is grown, weather, genes, etc. help determine the wood's quality. Just like how the oak that furniture is made of and the oak that hardwood floors are made of differ, maple used for fretboard can too.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
This can't be any less correct. Different companies buy different qualities of wood. "Maple" is anything that comes from a (you guessed it) maple tree. The area the tree is grown, weather, genes, etc. help determine the wood's quality. Just like how the oak that furniture is made of and the oak that hardwood floors are made of differ, maple used for fretboard can too.

Yes, that's true, but I'm assuming the type of Maple used on a MIM Strat is going to be similar quality (not the same but similar) as any other strat in the lineup. Because I think the neck used on the MIM strats are the same as used on all the other ones, just with a MIM sticker. (Of course this is just pure speculation and I could be completely wrong, but it makes sense)

BTW: Kevy My dad has a cobra... it's a factory 5. (I saw your avatar and will assume you know what I am talking about)