Page 1 of 3
I'm sure a lot of you will open this and see the SRV avatar and roll your eyes, but still this topic has potential.

I think this video will be a good introduction for this discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzn-4yv-sS0
I know plenty of people will rag on Mayer for selling out. But cmon, he's blues at the core, always has been, he just sold out to pay the bills, and now he's back to the blues.

It doesn't add up for me. I rarely find someone who legitimately does not like some good old, low down blues music. But also it seems like people don't seek out to listen to it, and above all, there is not very much of it going around.

We've got Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Joe Bonamassa, but other than that, there really are not many iconic blues artists out there today with household names. If nearly everyone loves the blues, why aren't the big modern blues guitarists household names?

If you don't know who they are:

Joe Bonamassa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAjpWAyFo7A
It's just ridiculous how good he is. I mean really. He deserves to be a household name.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd
http://www.playlist.com/searchbeta/tracks#kenny%20wayne%20shepherd%20slow%20ride
His song Slow Ride. It's an awesome blend of blues into some modern style.

Do you listen to it on a regular basis? How do you feel about these guitarists?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
we dont like yo' kind round here BOY!

i believe blues is just as popular, however there fans are getting older and so are some of the best blues musicians. However in my heart it will shall be forevur remmebered as the grandad of all rock music.
-no sig-
Last edited by Al4Project at Jul 2, 2009,
Blues is lamesauce compared to teh br00tal methulz n00b!

Seriously, I don't know nor do I care.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
its not popular because its old and easy to do.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
The blues isn't more popular because it isn't designed to be popular.

it's one of the last music genres that hasn't sold out or hasn't changed to appease mainstream audiences

it's still pure.

doesn't matter how popular it is or isn't, the blues is the blues and will always be awesome.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
it may not always be popular, but it will always exist, same with jazz
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by webbtje
Because it's not easy to listen to in a world of Lady Gagging and Nickelcrack.

hey say what you want about nickelbak but lay off Lady Gaga

she's tight
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Fenderhippie69

It is easy to play the blues, but it is hard to feel.

-hendrix
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Fenderhippie69

Pretty much.

Play the same 3 chords for 100 years and it gets kinda boring.
Sig What?
Quote by Fenderhippie69

This.

The stage I am at now... If I was in the 1940's now... I'd be the most famous guitar player to ever had lived, and I am an average blues player.

I consider players like.. BB king and Buddy guy average, ..it's just because they were young and had good tone and wrote song etc....they were bluesman.. but the stuff they play is very easy... it just requires good tone, technique and feel which comes with playing the guitar for a while.

But yeah.....Blues is boring now.. it's been done way too much!...
Because 80% of the songs sound the same to me, and many many others?
Because it spawned Rock And Roll, which all sounds the same to me, and many many others?
Because the fans and players of said blues music are getting old and less prominent?

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
it's because it's not really suited to the mainstream. it's mostly about musicianship, rather than coming up with something annoying that will get stuck in your head.

i find it's generally musicians who appreciate genres like blues more than non-musicians.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Its not meant to be popular. People listen to the blues because of the raw emotion it has. Blues is pure. To the average mainstream listener they don't get what 'we' get from music. They look for the same mainstream crap. Blues will always be around though and people who truely appreciate blues will pass down the music to others.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
meh, it's still popular, I mean listen to many songs on the radio and I guarantee you that 50% of them have roots in blues. all of RnB and Rock have roots in blues, they've just changed and become more modern. Blues is like classical music and jazz, they're old styles of music that have since changed and developed into newer, modern music. why should people keep on listening to stuff that's been done? I can assure you, in 50 years, another person will be asking why HipHop and Metal isn't popular anymore.

EDIT: also, the average blues listener does not get this and is as elitist as 99% of the metal forum.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I'm sure a lot of you will open this and see the SRV avatar and roll your eyes, but still this topic has potential.

Wow, it's really like you're psychic!
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep

i find it's generally musicians who appreciate genres like blues more than non-musicians.

I haven't really thought about it in that way, but now that you bring it up, yes, thats definitely 100% true.

It's a player's music, not a listeners music.
-Jim Morrison
I like blues, to an extent. I don't like how my local blues scene is just a bunch of old men doing pretty much the same song, however.
i don't think old blues will ever be super popular again, but it can and will infuse itself into more modern territories. guys like Joe Bonamassa and Derek Trucks are taking it to a different level.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
It is easy to play the blues, but it is hard to feel.

-hendrix

im not saying that the blues sucks. I love the blues and am listening the electric ladyland right now. thats just why i think its not popular.

Resistance is victory.

Do not sit idly by.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I haven't really thought about it in that way, but now that you bring it up, yes, thats definitely 100% true.

I saw Jeff Beck last wednesday and I'd apply this idea with Jeff Beck.

It's only purists and people who enjoy raw live music who love jeff beck IMO. I could tell this by the crowd.
I like the blues.. I only don't like Mayer 'cos he's crap..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Each one of those people that you listed is not in the least bit original with their take on the blues. That's why blues isn't popular. The so called modern blues musicians are just spitting out what SRV did twenty years ago, or the other ones are just spitting out Hubert Sumlin licks. Blues is trapped between people who think they are the new blues guitar heroes, and the people who don't like any kind of blues except for the old chicago or delta styles.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
Quote by Fenderhippie69
im not saying that the blues sucks. I love the blues and am listening the electric ladyland right now. thats just why i think its not popular.

It isn't that.

the beatles have some of teh easiest songs, and they're isnanely popular.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by SlinkyBlue

nah, I've been making music for over a decade and really dont care much for the blues. it's naturally a cool genre, but I find it utterly redundant, since there's not much you can do with that style without sounding like everyone else.
Sorry, but being a good blues guitarist like BB, or Buddy or SRV is tremendously hard. It may not seem like it but the dynamic control is really what sets the amateurs apart from the absolute pros. Seriously, the feel and dynamic is just as hard to master as a metal guitarist would have to master his fast-as-**** licks.
I love blues, but nobody I know has ever heard any good stuff. Just today, actually they were playing Robert Johnson's 'Sweet Home Chicago' at a Starbucks in Chapters. I just stood there reading Guitar World and listening. Good times.
Quote by will123456789

John mayer I presume you mean?

Have you seen him live? or watched 'where the light is DVD'

Don't forget John Mayer is a pop artist/singer/songwriter/bluesman

Blues is not solely his objective.
Are you kidding? If you mean pure blues then sure, pure jazz and pure classical are unpopular too but otherwise pretty much every band since the 50s has had a blues influence on them, think also on how popular classic rock is, all your AC/DC, LedZep that's all blues, modern rock bands are just playing a modernised version of the blues that was part of a natural progression from classic rock...

Plus frankly, a lot of blues songs sound so similar due to all the constraints the genre naturally has. It's pretty hard not to come up with a riff or solo that sounds "done before", since there is just SO MUCH blues now and in history.
You just THINK its not that popular... its just that now in modern days, its kinda watered down, or its fused with another genre or something. Like the White Stripes for example... they are obviously blues, but you can hear traces of punk, alternative, etc. etc. in their/ Jack's music. Another modern blues band is the black keys, but i'd say they are more rock n roll than blues. But still... blues is here, its just not on the surface.
Quote by Saf1
Are you kidding? If you mean pure blues then sure, pure jazz and pure classical are unpopular too but otherwise pretty much every band since the 50s has had a blues influence on them, think also on how popular classic rock is, all your AC/DC, LedZep that's all blues, modern rock bands are just playing a modernised version of the blues that was part of a natural progression from classic rock...

Plus frankly, a lot of blues songs sound so similar due to all the constraints the genre naturally has. It's pretty hard not to come up with a riff or solo that sounds "done before", since there is just SO MUCH blues now and in history.

/thread
because all the cool kids today enjoy being f*cking sluts, jocks and ghetto bad guys, along with "dancing" and partying hard. Take in count that most music today is aimed torwards those kind of assholes, because if they listen to it, their sh*t friends will listen to it too. So, those guys will never listen to blues because "dawg it's not ghetto, blast some lil wayne, man, get the gangsta going, dawg", that's why blues won't be popular among young guys. These guys are the major part on the music popularity charts, so if there's something they don't like, it probably won't sell.Also, who dances to blues now? in how many parties have you listened to blues? almost all music today is upbeat and that, because it's aimed at partying hard and being catchy, not at showcasing talent. Sorry for bad english.

tl;dr: it's not what the bad boys want, so it's not what their friends want, and it will not sell.

I dont claim to be right and i dont think i exposed my point very well, but w/e.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by will123456789

You have to admit he was cool in Chapelle's Show
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
It isn't that.

the beatles have some of teh easiest songs, and they're isnanely popular.

well thats my reasoning as to why.

it could be because a new generation tries to separate itself from those previous to have its own identity and blues is over a 100 years old, i dunno.

Resistance is victory.

Do not sit idly by.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
hey say what you want about nickelbak but lay off Lady Gaga

she's tight

Whatever you or I think of her, she's easy to listen to and that's why she's popular, s'all I'm saying.
Page 1 of 3