Page 1 of 2
i have been playin guitar for 4 yrs i am currently the lead guitarist and vocalist for a locally sucessful band but have never taken any time to learn theory. this was'nt a problem until recently. i am totally self taught and can write some pretty good music and solos but i don't understand y it sounds good. this is a problem b/c i was jamming wit a friend n he likes 2 call chords A and F and same thing wit notes. needless to say i felt like a idiot any advice.
Learning theory will make you a batter musician, if you want to be a better musician, learn theory.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Learning music theory isn't essential. However its benefits are numerous, and for you it would solve the problem of communicating with your bandmates. Knowing music theory will allow you to speak the "official language" of music, not just dialects.

The stickies at the top of the forum will provide you with enough information to keep you busy for a while, so start there.
You need to know theory like an accountant needs to know algebra. If music is what you do, music theory is hown you do it. When somebody says play an A and you have to have that explained to you, that'd be like a mechanic having to ask where the transmission is... everytime.

How one manages to play for four years and not even learn notes astonishes me.
like i said i don't no any note names or really anything offical all those websites like 2 call the notes by letters n im lost is there like theory 4 dummies
Quote by Kapalen
You need to know theory like an accountant needs to know algebra. If music is what you do, music theory is hown you do it. When somebody says play an A and you have to have that explained to you, that'd be like a mechanic having to ask where the transmission is... everytime.

How one manages to play for four years and not even learn notes astonishes me.

first of all i no plenty of other ppl that have the same problem like i said self taught no lessons just alot of playin by my self and with friends. i also play football and can't really watse hours a day on something i managed w/o for years. wtf does it matter wat i call the note if i can play just as good
Yes, learn theory. /thread

On a side note, it takes a millisecond more to type our your words and even less time to capitalize letters.
you absolutely don't HAVE to learn theory.

but - as you have seen - it'll certainly cause communication problems between bandmates. so i reccommend you at least learn basic theory, or, at the VERY least, learn scales (if you haven't already)
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
let me explain i don't no names for notes n **** but i practice hours every day n i notice patterns in all music and i use that 2 help me
Quote by RaiderFootball1
let me explain i don't no names for notes n **** but i practice hours every day n i notice patterns in all music and i use that 2 help me

As long as you only play with yourself, then you'll be fine. But if you want to play with other musicians and they say this song is in the key of A, you're going to need to know what that is.

If you already know the scale forms learning which notes you're hitting shouldn't be too difficult to pick up.
well then itll probably be easier to learn theory cuz youll recognize some of the patterns you already know as something like a scale or something

you can learn it, or you can just not learn it. its all up to you. but i certainly reccommend learning the notes on the fretboard and more scales (major/minor/harmonic)
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by RaiderFootball1
i no scales petatonic n all that stuff
just pretty much nothing else

4 years of pentatonics...
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
So your a football player? Even if your doing 2 a days, you can still easily find time to learn theory. Basically right now, your trying to be a professional speaker that doesnt know how to read/write, and has no knowledge of grammer
i might just b stubborn but i h8 how ppl over complicate music it should be more feeling the any thing else right or wrong. its like football i no the playbook and my responsibilty but w/o instinct and talent theres nothing u can do.
Quote by allislost
4 years of pentatonics...

+1

this sounds like another thread where the TS tries to defend his refusal of learning any theory

like its been said before, you don't have to learn it. but if you want to better your art, enable yourself to communicate with other musicians (which you've already stated you can't) play with other musicians, improv on the fly with relative ease, write down the music, interpret other artists music in depth or simply make your musical life simpler then yes, it would definitely be in your benefit to learn theory.

Quote by RaiderFootball1
i might just b stubborn but i h8 how ppl over complicate music it should be more feeling the any thing else right or wrong. its like football i no the playbook and my responsibilty but w/o instinct and talent theres nothing u can do.

what? musics only as complicated as you make it. i don't think theory is that complicated, but i don't know sh!t about football so it's all relative. to me music is math and science utilized in a distinct way to hopefully create a chemical connection with the listeners (this feeling you're referring to)

the problem with your "feeling" statement is that alot of people don't know how to adequately express their feeling musically, this is where theory has come in. i don't think i know of a single person who's entire emotional psyche could be musically boiled down to the pentatonic scale.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by RaiderFootball1
i have been playin guitar for 4 yrs i am currently the lead guitarist and vocalist for a locally sucessful band but have never taken any time to learn theory. this was'nt a problem until recently. i am totally self taught and can write some pretty good music and solos but i don't understand y it sounds good. this is a problem b/c i was jamming wit a friend n he likes 2 call chords A and F and same thing wit notes. needless to say i felt like a idiot any advice.

Advice? Get a book, and start learning?

It won't necessarily tell you why something sounds "good". I mean something sounds good to you, because you think it sounds good. It will though put names to those things that you think sound good. Also, With lots of study and practice, knowing theory may prevent you from feeling like an idiot when someone calls out chords or a key. Overall, there are lots of benefits. If you want to start learning theory, get to it.... and have fun doing it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by RaiderFootball1
like i said i don't no any note names or really anything offical all those websites like 2 call the notes by letters n im lost is there like theory 4 dummies
Yup. Watch Freepower's bitesize theory vids http://www.youtube.com/user/FreepowerUG
Quote by RaiderFootball1
that makes no sense i no my instrument i no how 2 play i no how 2 write

what 3 notes are in an a minor chord?
where does a dominant chord often resolve to?
do you know what a dominant chord is?

i'm not rippin' on ya man, i'm just trying to make a point. i look back at all the tab i've written trying to keep track of all the songs ive written and i'd like to kick my own a$$ as 99% of them i have no idea what i was playing since theres no rhythmical value to any of it. it's also easier to remember how you wrote what you wrote once you start incorporating theory. hell half my news songs i remember by description alone.
ur making it like i can't play for **** b/c i don't no theory my main problem is communication. plus music isn't a science to me its an art
Quote by RaiderFootball1
ur making it like i can't play for **** b/c i don't no theory my main problem is communication. plus music isn't a science to me its an art

no no no , technique is completely different from theory (i wasn't intending to say you can't play) you could play a million miles an hour and have no idea what you're doing. you just stated that you know how to write music and i asked 3 of the most beginner questions i could think of that would relate to writing music. music is an art i'll agree, or at least the end product is what i would call art. you can use nothing and make it or you can use math and science to make it. i've found the latter generally results in a more accurate representation of my initial musical idea.
Quote by RaiderFootball1

No one said anything about science. If you've already made up your mind, then why are you wasting everyone's time with this thread? Music theory allows the description and communication of music structure. If that is at all relevant to you, then learn it. If it isn't, then don't, and stop bitching about not being able to communicate.

Everyone else manages to write music just fine despite knowing theory. If you can't, then it's a personal problem.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jul 2, 2009,
^ actually i mentioned that music is a combination of math and science. i think he was just responding to that
alright thxs guys for making my musical career seem like a joke but anyway guees i gotta start learning some ****in theory
Quote by RaiderFootball1

Keep in mind that your the one that asked about theory. If you don't feel the need to learn it , that's cool, but if you ask for opinions, that's what you should expect to get.

Quote by RaiderFootball1
alright thxs guys for making my musical career seem like a joke but anyway guees i gotta start learning some ****in theory

You shouldn't feel that way. Not knowing theory doesn't automatically diminish a musician to joke status. There are LOT's of incredible musicians that know very little theory (and in some cases none).

That being said, you don't HAVE to start learning some ****in theory, but if you WANT to, you should. Personally, I enjoy it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by RaiderFootball1
If you can play well now, imagine what you could do if you understood the theory behind what you're doing - you could make some awesome stuff of your own, and you could make it a lot quicker and easier than you can at the moment, plus you'll be able to communicate it easily to your band mates so they can play it for you!
Quote by z4twenny
no no no , technique is completely different from theory (i wasn't intending to say you can't play) you could play a million miles an hour and have no idea what you're doing. you just stated that you know how to write music and i asked 3 of the most beginner questions i could think of that would relate to writing music. music is an art i'll agree, or at least the end product is what i would call art. you can use nothing and make it or you can use math and science to make it. i've found the latter generally results in a more accurate representation of my initial musical idea.

yea thats my problem i can play i sound good but like u said i don't no i don't no the theory behind it thats a problem i agree but some of it seems mindless to me
^ we're all saying you don't have to. it would just be in your best interest, ESPECIALLY if you start using the term career to describe what music is to you. i've known plenty of guitarists that were quite good, but really bland because all the theory they knew amounted to the major scale and pentatonics. i've also known awesome songwriters that couldn't play a single instrument with any proficiency (i wouldn't call being able to play a couple guitar chords and 1 handing a piano "proficient") but they could write an entire symphony on paper with just what they knew about music and what little they could play on their instrument.

Quote by GuitarMunky

That being said, you don't HAVE to start learning some ****in theory, but if you WANT to, you should. Personally, I enjoy it.

+1

this is it, i've never met a musician that actually learned theory in depth and didn't appreciate it. but if you don't have the desire or time to nobodies going to blame you. i'd never turn my nose up at another musician if they didnt know theory (though i'd prolly get really aggravated if i had explain my songs to them like "hold your hand like this here and then this here and then this here"
Quote by RaiderFootball1
yea thats my problem i can play i sound good but like u said i don't no i don't no the theory behind it thats a problem i agree but some of it seems mindless to me

Then don't learn it. Don't ask questions when you already know the answer. You've clearly already decided not to learn it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by RaiderFootball1

So is painting, but a painter still uses color and shading and balance and perspective and like 20 other things tom paint. Music, like painting, has principles that you use to express your artistic design. These things are intervals, chords, harmonies and melodies, etc. These things are called theory
and how are they making it seem like a joke? you're the one misinterpreting what they're saying (maybe intentionally? I don't know) but you either need to say to yourself "I want to learn theory", and learn it, or not learn theory and just get by with a minor pentatonic scale.

the choice is up to you. we are not going to make that choice for you.

sorry, just had to vent.
Quote by Kapalen
So is painting, but a painter still uses color and shading and balance and perspective and like 20 other things tom paint. Music, like painting, has principles that you use to express your artistic design. These things are intervals, chords, harmonies and melodies, etc. These things are called theory

+1. Great post.
thx not trying 2 watse any1s time just debating the benifits not like i think i dont need it like i said my time is limited if its gonna take a long time to learn all i need i dont no if its worth it im an incoming freshman at rutgers u so class plus practice i limited in time
thx not trying 2 watse any1s time just debating the benifits not like i think i dont need it like i said my time is limited if its gonna take a long time to learn all i need i dont no if its worth it im an incoming freshman at rutgers u so class plus practice i limited in time
Page 1 of 2