Page 1 of 2
I play both mainly. but if I ever join a band will it work out?
I mean metal riffs but blues solos.

can I combine it or will I have to play one genre?
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by BrashPersona
Dimebag Darell.

/thread

RIP Dime
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Motley Crue's guitarist Mick Mars kinda combines both.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
That's what i used to do

then i got good at metal soloing and thus the need for blues was greatly diminished

moral of the story: learn the major and harmonic minor scales, shred them, join said band
Orange Goblin
Black Sabbath

'nuff said.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
combine away
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
I think it's what Rage against machine did.. or that's what I take it to be..

I'd love to join a band with that mix..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
zakk wylde can play some mean blues and look where he is

playing guitar for a drugged up ex-black sabbath singer? and playing horrible rock/metal songs in BLS?
Quote by CoreysMonster
playing guitar for a drugged up ex-black sabbath singer? and playing horrible rock/metal songs in BLS?

lol

icwatudidthar
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
zakk wylde
dimebag darrell
tony iommi
kirk hammett (kind of)

its a perfect match, metal and blues. bluetal. <--- lol cuz it sounds like brutal??? get it? get it?

That's called black sabbath man, just with a tad more gain.

Just play whatever you feel like playing, you might get good at it someday eh.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by CoreysMonster

well done for being an idiot.
Quote by CoreysMonster

thank you
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by Gäbe
That's called black sabbath man, just with a tad more gain.

Just play whatever you feel like playing, you might get good at it someday eh.

Looks at location of poster
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
zakk wylde
dimebag darrell
tony iommi
kirk hammett (kind of)

its a perfect match, metal and blues. bluetal. <--- lol cuz it sounds like brutal??? get it? get it?

you mean br00t4lZ... right?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by James Hicks
Metal and blues CAN be played together, as you might know, and i love it. Think Satriani, Vai, aerosmith and you see what i mean

*link removed by SYK*
Stop advertising. Yer gonna get banned ...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by BrashPersona
well done for being an idiot.

sorry, Black Lable Society is not a good band, IMO. They play the most generic wanna-be music I've ever heard. Zakk is an awesome guitarist, but his songs are terrible.
Many metal guitarists look into blues scales for their music, Kirk Hammett being the most prominent, I think.

I'm not sure. Of course there's metal that I listen to and I just hear a ton of random notes that I don't understand in their solos, but then there's a few solo's where I'll feel like I'm having a relapse to Hendrix or something.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
urdum

bluesmetal
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by CoreysMonster
Zakk is an awesome guitarist

That's debatable at best, he's got the chops to play just about anything but for some stupid reason he chooses to stick to the crappy penta-wank he always does; I'm all for having stylistic quirks but he's taken it way too far.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by nigeltheginger
That's what i used to do

then i got good at metal soloing and thus the need for blues was greatly diminished

moral of the story: learn the major and harmonic minor scales, shred them, join said band

*Drum Fill*

By the way, Blue Cheer.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by nigeltheginger
That's what i used to do

Better moral: Learn as much scales as possible and become a more rounded and creative guitarist.
A lot of metal uses the pentatonic scale and does some blues licks.
Metal is (commonly, obviously not always) either focused on the blues side of thing (Sabbath, Metallica etc) or the Classical side of things (with harmonic minor, so like Randy Rhoads, Death, etc.)

So it's not unheard of to play bluesy stuff in a metal band.
Quote by BrashPersona
Dimebag Darell.

/thread

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH no

TS, most doom metal sounds along the lines of what you want.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's debatable at best, he's got the chops to play just about anything but for some stupid reason he chooses to stick to the crappy penta-wank he always does; I'm all for having stylistic quirks but he's taken it way too far.

The whole reason Zakk plays pentatonics is because back in the day, everyone was being an Yngwie clone, so he took a more traditional rock approach, and it stuck.

I like Zakk's stuff with Ozzy. He may be playing the same old scales, but he doesn't sound like anyone.

I will criticise his overuse of pinch harmonics, though. Who wouldn't?
Quote by sashki
The whole reason Zakk plays pentatonics is because back in the day, everyone was being an Yngwie clone, so he took a more traditional rock approach, and it stuck.

I like Zakk's stuff with Ozzy. He may be playing the same old scales, but he doesn't sound like anyone.

I will criticise his overuse of pinch harmonics, though. Who wouldn't?

Yeah pinch harmonics are great when used in just the right places, but when you play the crazy train riff consisting of only pinch harmonics thats when the line has to be drawn for me.
And tbh i always play with more feel when playing blues and pentatonic scales, i can play some nice sounding stuff with scales like harmonic minor but i just sit there playing and pretty bored.
It's certainly possible to form/find a band that played blues influenced metal. Whenever me and my best friend get together to jam we do that kind of stuff because he's a huge Metallica fan and I'm a huge Clapton fan.
Alice In Chains anyone? Jerry Cantrell uses blues inspired riffs and solos (Put You Down) and he uses metal riffs with very blues inspired solos (Dam That River). Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff has some very blues inspired bits as well. I'd say he's a good example of a guitarist who mixes blues and metal/rock, you can say he's not that "metal" because his riffs aren't the heaviest but influences from both genre are in his style and they work very well together. It can be done.
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
isnt Sweating Bullets pretty bluesy?
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Page 1 of 2