I'm auditioning a drummer and I pretty much have no idea about what drummers need. What I'm planning to look for is

- Must know most common time signatures in rock (I know almost all rock is 4/4, but what else is common? I'm thinking 5/4 and 8/8)
- Should be able to make at least a basic drum track for something on the spot (Say, if I gave them a guitar or bass backing track or something, and told them to play drums over it. Too demanding?)

Any other requirements, or changes to the above?
3/4, 4/4 and 6/8 are infinitely commoner than the rest of the time signatures there are, definitely.
- Doesn't sound unreasonable, can't expect them to improv too much if they never heard it before, but being able to find the beat quickly and play a suitable rhythm seems like a good idea. I know I can do it for basic stuff, and my only drumming experience is friggin' Rock Band.
yeah the improv thing is a great idea.
Then of course make sure they have good chemistry with the rest of the guys in your band, and he/she should at least be someone you might like to hang out with, even when not jamming.

And then the obvious, like making sure he has his own kit, and is somewhat eager to play and serious about it.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
We recently got a new drummer, and what we did was give him 1 or 2 songs to learn for the audition, he played them well so he got in. Make sure you can get along with him as well, and that he has equipment.
i reccommend just jamming with him and seeing if he can keep up/stay on time

also find out his musical interests and if hes enthusiastic about joining a band/drumming etc.
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
as i drummer, I rarely play covers unless my band want's me too, it''s almost always improve when i practice, and i think most drummers are the same.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
One of my friends just brought up the idea of having a metronome in another room so he can't hear it, and see how well he keeps time. Good idea or no?
Quote by Guitar2theface
One of my friends just brought up the idea of having a metronome in another room so he can't hear it, and see how well he keeps time. Good idea or no?

Don't bother with anything like that, a better idea would be to record the whole group jamming/playing a song together and listen back to it together. It will be obvious to you whether or not he can keep time without sneakily using a metronome.
HE GOTTA GOT DA GROOVE!! Seriously tho, being able to play 3/4 over 4/4 beats is good to give your band a different sound. Syncopation, at least decent speed, being able to jam, and basic time signatures are good, and improv / fills are useful.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
don't bother getting him to play in odd time signatures unless you know you and your band will write in them, otherwise your wasting his and your time.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Just make sure he's able to find stuff that suits the song and that he's not the kind of drummer that knows how to play about 4 beats and is constatntly alternating between them. To me, drummers fall into 2 categories: those that play to suit a song, and those who'll just throw whatever beat they know anywhere.

Also make sure he knows how to stay on time and that he's not the kind of dude that loves throwing in random fills that don't make any sense whatsoever.