literally. I am trying to design an amp (again). this time around im designing it with 5 8" Jensen Mod8-20 speakers, 2 Eminence BassLite CA2010 speakers and an eminence PX2-3K5 supertweeter. The box is going to be 33" wide, 29" tall and 23" deep. The speaker setup is a 10 incher on the bottom left corner, an 8 incher in the middle and the other 10 incher on the bottom right. the next row up is an 8 incher, the tweeter in the middle then an 8 incher on the other side. The top is just 2 8 inchers to the left and right of the tweeter (kind of in the middle) If any of the dimensions need to be changed do say so.

Currently i am doing some wicked math trying to figure out the diameter of the ports. I want 4 or 6 ports but so far all the math is coming out wrong. argh. so im asking for anyone who knows about porting and tuning a box to help me out.

here are links to the specs of each speaker:

http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated because this math is kicking my face in. thanks in advance
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
That cab is insane... Is that going to couple with any other cabs, say a 15" or 18"?
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
quite possibly an 18" peavey black widow
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Last edited by bassman10101 at Jul 2, 2009,
With as epic as that cab is, I would do a 2x15" or 2x18". You would have the sickest rig ever, at that point.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
yeh i just looked into a 2x15 and the only speakers i could work with are jensen mod15-200, 200 watts a piece. throw the same tweeter as the other one in on it with another crossover. should be ill. this one i will just port with 2 3 inchers in the back. maybe 3 if neccessary. still need help porting the big one though..
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
What's the ohmage of the speakers and what you want your cab to be? You shouldn't need a crossover, but some amps have a built-in bi-amp system like GK and I think some Carvins, so that would take care of any problems.

As far as I know, crossovers are only important for tweeters and subs being used for PA systems. The speakers on that site are LF drivers, so they can handle higher frequencies. You'll need a Crossover for the tweeter, but otherwise, you're fine. With all those speakers, it's gonna be expensive, anyway.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
i got the 2x15 all figured out. 8 ohms, 400 watts, 2 15 inchers and a tweeter. just for good measure haha. all in all itll cost me about 432 for the big one and 386 for the 2x15. and i edited my last post btw haha. if worse comes to worse ill just build the big one and port it using trial and error
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Are the speakers to be housed in the same box?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
the 5 8 inchers, the 2 10 inchers and the tweeter are all going to be in the same box.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
the 5 8 inchers, the 2 10 inchers and the tweeter are all going to be in the same box.
Are they in the same or separate compartments?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
nevermind that. this box will compose of 3 sections. the bottom most section will have 2 10 inchers and an 8 incher, 12 inches high and 33 inches long and 24 inches deep. giving it a volume of 5.5 cu. inches (roughly). the middle section will have 2 8 inchers and the tweeter. same length and depth just 10 inches high here. and the top most section will have the last 2 8 inchers with the same dimensions as the middle section.

the three sections will give each speaker the right amount of volume needed for operation and i believe at the end of each section i will need two 2 inch ports. except for the bottom section, it will need 3 3 inch ports.

if any one has any input please share
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
so here is the finished plans for the cabinet. i took out one of the 8 inchers to make the width a lot less for travel purposes. each section is in the 2.3 - 2.8 cu. ft. range. i was up till 2 in the morning last night doing all the measurements and calculations haha. i hope this looks good to all of you
Attachments:
speaker cabinet.jpg
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I would arrange the speakers differently, but it would just be for my own taste, not for any tonal advantage, I don't know much about that. That's gonna be bad as, though. I don't know a lot about porting, but it seems like you could have fewer, larger ports.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
yeh i toyed with the idea of having larger ports but i like the pyramid scheme too much haha when it all comes down to cost having 5 2" ones is cheaper than having a 6", 4" and a 2" haha. the whole thing is gonna cost a little over 400 bucks. which is what really is just making my day haha. and if this one goes well ill save for a 2x12 with a tweeter to complete my rig.

for the recored ill be using 1/2 inch plywood. i wont be putting any extra bracing in because i think the shelves that make the sections will be all the bracing i need. also i will be using a series/parallel wiring so that the wattage is 380 watts (all the speakers added together) and the impedance is 8 ohms (the impedance of all the speakers wil lbe 8 ohms). the drawing of that is attached

sound dampering? do i need to put some ish in the back of it to absorb it?
Attachments:
wiring.jpg
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Last edited by bassman10101 at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by t3hrav3n
I would arrange the speakers differently, but it would just be for my own taste, not for any tonal advantage, I don't know much about that. That's gonna be bad as, though. I don't know a lot about porting, but it seems like you could have fewer, larger ports.

Sorry for the double post but idk about bass cab porting but in car audio you traditionally go with a single larger port so that's something to keep in mind as well
You need to go back to the drawing board. The magnets in the CA2010's are a little on the weak side giving a Qts of 0.51. You really need to be below 0.4 for a bass reflex speaker to be better than one without a port. It could just work but you won't really be getting the best sound from this speaker. Two of these need a cabinet slightly bigger than 150litres to work well which will make your cab quite big. The Jensens are frankly rubbish, The magnets are much too small, with Qts of 1.94 they will not only not work in a reflex they won't work in a sealed cab either They only work down to 139Hz nearly two octaves above bottom E and are so underdamped it will be like listening to a cheap 2.1 computer speaker in addition they are rated at 40W peak so this means only 20W each.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but you would be better off spending your cash on fewer and better speakers.
duely noted. argh. more math, more surfing, mnore drawings. ok ill check out something more. hmm maybe that 2x15 i was thinkin about. anyways. when i get some specs drawn up again ill let you know. phill starr, woulf you recommend any certain speakers specifacially?
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
A 2x15 would be alot easier, in my opinion, you would face alot of problems with getting the speakers to produce properly in your original idea.

For 15's 3015's would be best. or the LF versions
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jul 3, 2009,
id get those but my head is 350 watts, to do a 2x15 id want the speakers to be 200 watts each. any suggestions?

im throwin the old idea out the window haha, ill make a 2x15 with a tweeter in it and crossover. unless someone has a reason for not needing a tweeter in a 2x15
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Actually the CA2010 is a quite nice speaker I just wouldn't use it in a reflex cab. Anything with Neo or lite in it is likely to be expensive. These have the latest lightweight hi tech speakers but you can get the same sort of results (with the extra weight ) more cheaply with ceramic magnets. Look at the delta 10's from eminence which are actually higher spec and cheaper.

I've just built a 2x12 with beyma speakers but they look pricey in the states. I also built a 15 wityh a Peavey black Widow which should be cheaper there. Lots of deep bass.

What sort of sound do you want?
i am kind of going for a vintage feel seein how i have an original trace elliot head and ill be gettin nordstrand pickups. i play a lot of jazz so bright and warm are key with a deep fat bass tone. haha the standards you know. ill deffinetly check out eminence (theyre cheaper brands and what nots) if i am going for a 2x12 what deimensions would i want and what type and size port(s) to use? you said you just built one, is why im asking the specific questions.

i was just looking at speakers. seems i cant relly find the wattage i want in a 12 or 15" so i began to look at 10 inchers again. maybe a 2x10 with a smaller speaker thrown in and a tweeter? what do you think?

i am lookin at the eminence bass lite ch2010 for the 2 10 inchers. and maybe a smaller 50 or 100 watt speaker to make the wattage right
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
nevermind that. this box will compose of 3 sections. the bottom most section will have 2 10 inchers and an 8 incher, 12 inches high and 33 inches long and 24 inches deep. giving it a volume of 5.5 cu. inches (roughly). the middle section will have 2 8 inchers and the tweeter. same length and depth just 10 inches high here. and the top most section will have the last 2 8 inchers with the same dimensions as the middle section.

the three sections will give each speaker the right amount of volume needed for operation and i believe at the end of each section i will need two 2 inch ports. except for the bottom section, it will need 3 3 inch ports.

if any one has any input please share

Mixing different types/sizes in the same compartment is not recommended as they can effect the performance of each other; that is why if you have a 15" and a 10" you will find that the 10" has its own compartment as the 15" would effect the cone movement of the 10" and vice versa.
Eminence used to make a sealed back 10" speaker for this very reason thus doing away with the separate compartment.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
The problem with two by's is that speakers tend to be designed as 8ohm units. Decent 16 ohm speakers are hard to find. Four 8's make 8ohms and so does a single speaker making it easy to match a 1x15 with a 4x10, this has made this a classic combination. The other way is the 15+10+horn which also combines the advantages of the deep bass of the 15 with the liveliness of the 10. (I dont know why this set up has fallen out of favour)

2x10's or 2x12's tend to end up being used on their own though you can avoid this. From what you say I think I would go for a 4x10 to start with and then go for adding a 1x15 if you want more deep bass.
yeh ive been wantin a 4x10 for a while. i looked into making one and to make one with everything i want would cost more than buying one, so ill just buy one. and as for the 1x15 that will come later on. so basically all i am doing at the moment is replacing a blown out 12" speaker to a peavey black widow that can handle my new preamp. thanks for all the help phil man, when i get around to making a 1x15 ill hit you up.

edit: actually man, im gonna just drop a few more bucks and do the 1x15 now haha. so! i am going to be using a peavey 1502 black widow speaker. phil, would you be so kind as to help me out with the dimensions and what size ports would be best?
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Get yourself a fane 15-425 or the black widow and make yourself an EV 606. I just finished making it as my second cab and it is an amzing cab. Make it with the step down feature and youll be set
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders%20Plans/TL606%20Builders%20Plans.pdf

Take our time remember. I used 1\2" ply for everything except the front which is an inch wide. Its very similiar to a 1153, which is a 15" cab i would love.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Ok I'll get on to the caculations later. I have a gig this weekend and I have to sort out the PA too.
^ yep no wories dude

or check out that link googlymoogly sent. i think ill save you the trouble of calculations and just use that (unless what you got is better haha).

moogly you said you made that one? hows it sound?
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Last edited by bassman10101 at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by Phil Starr
The other way is the 15+10+horn which also combines the advantages of the deep bass of the 15 with the liveliness of the 10. (I dont know why this set up has fallen out of favour).

How do you work the 15" with the 10" regarding apportioning the power to the two speakers.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yep i did make that one, its very small and quiet light. The bracing in the diagram is only the basic essentials so more is needed, but not a huge amount. It took a little under a week working slowly to complete. In fact i made a thread about it, with pics but not the finished thing must get them up. It does sound great and is well rounded but like evrey 15 does lack top end, but mids are great and my jazz bass simply roars with it and the ashdown Mag.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1142063
thats the thread.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
oh snap! haha looks legit dude. would you possible weigh it and post a finished pic on here?
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by John Swift
How do you work the 15" with the 10" regarding apportioning the power to the two speakers.

Hi John, I notice you list this in your gear so I guess you've solved this. I'd be looking to choose the drive units carefully so they match in sensitivity. I'd also use a simple electrolytic capacitor to limit the bass to the 10 with that built into a separate sealed compartment inside the overall cab. I would go for a low Q 10" driver looking to achieve Qts of 0.7. Essentially then the 10 would be acting as a midrange unit but overlapping with the 15 which I would put in a bass reflex cab. Eminence UK had a design for this in their old design book.

With the capacitor acting as a simple crossover this would mean less power at low frequencies going to the 10 and less excursion so the 10 would be well protected and could handle a lot more power than its rating. Using two 8ohm units the amp would 'see' 8ohms at low frequencies and 4 ohms above the crossover frequency depending on the exact drive unit.

How did you design yours?
Dude, i dont mean to be rude or anything, but you making that as your first cab seems a bit like a baby trying to run a marathon. I think you'd be much better off trying to make something smaller and simpler first, and working on understanding how the maths and physics of porting and speakers work. Then when you've mastered the basics, build your monster cab.

On a side note, why would you need a cab that big to play jazz?
Hi, i've checked the specs and if you have the 8 ohm Peavey 1502DT-8 then that is what I used in a (technically) slightly smaller than optimum cab for portability. Using a smaller cab gives slightly less precise bass with a raised cut off frequency and a slight bass lift.

My cab is (internal dimensions) 28x46x55cm with two ports 63mm dia and 50mm long.

Despite the compromise on the volume it gives a pretty clean sound with monstrous bass, it has a particularly warm sound which is otherwise fairly neutral. It responds well to tweaks on the tone controls and I generally use a little bass cut and mid boost to tame it a bit. I use two piezo tweeters in the cab to add a bit of presence. Use Motorolas for piezos as the cheap ones lack sensitivity.

Have fun and pm me if you want any advice other than this.

Cheers