Poll: Your preferred arpegio method?
Poll Options
View poll results: Your preferred arpegio method?
Tapping
10 23%
Sweeping
24 55%
Skipping
10 23%
Voters: 44.
So prompted by a recent conversation with some other players i was interested to find out what the most favoured technique for playing arpeggios is, generally in a lead guitar/shred context

So for the purposes of this i am giving the 3 common options of

A: tapped arpeggios

B: Sweeps

and C: string skipped arps (whether picked or legato'd)

From a guess i gather taps will be most popular, followed by sweeps

Personally i prefer the string skipped ones, as you get the versatility in sound depending on whether you legato or pick
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Sweeping, Tapping, String skipping.

I like Sweeping (Although I can use all) Because of the speed you can get on an arpeggio. The others I would normally use to better articulate part of an arpeggio.

On this arpeggio, Ive clocked myself at almost 38 Notes per second (Arpeggio of 19 notes, played within a beat at 120BPM)
-------------------------------13-17t22-17-13-------------------------------
--------------------------15-----------------------15---------------------------
---------------------14--------------------------------14-----------------------
-----------------15----------------------------------------15-------------------
---------12-17------------------------------------------------17-12-----------
-12-16------------------------------------------------------------------16-12-
Although once you start getting up to that speed anything starts turning into "Just Noise".

Try using Tapping and String Skipping to play Diminished arpeggios, its fun.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Ive clocked myself at almost 38 Notes per second (Arpeggio of 19 notes, played within a beat at 120BPM)

Clips or it didn't happen.

I personally prefer whichever works best at the time, my playing could do with being a damn sight cleaner but I like to think I'm at least proficient in all of them. They all have their place and uses.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
On this arpeggio, Ive clocked myself at almost 38 Notes per second (Arpeggio of 19 notes, played within a beat at 120BPM)

I couldn't really care less if you can or can't, but when you start claims that you can play at speeds like that around here, people are going to ask for proof.

I find that string-skipping my arpeggios gives much greater rhythmic and dynamic control, and it's plenty fast for my purposes. There are only a few instances where I enjoy the sound of sweeping, and repetive arpeggiated patterns is not one of them.

When I do sweep, it's usually an anscending line (some are arpeggio based) that I want to play as smoothly as possible. I rarely descent with a sweeping motion, preferring instead to use left hand hammer-ons.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Last edited by Prophet of Page at Jul 3, 2009,
They all have their place, but I prefer the string skipping version. It just feels good to me, and I like the sound better, even though it's harder to get up to a decent speed. I also find the skills you develop doing string skipped arps transfer over to the rest of your playing better.
considering ive just really started implementing these into my own playing like with random noodling and such. id have to say sweeps>taps>skipping,

i think ive been practicing sweeping on an off ofr about a month, i shat a brick the first time i was jamming along with a song and nailed a sweep that was in the ssong just having heard it once before.

the sweep was the first sweep in neil zaza's "im alright", its not much, but a HUGE leap for me.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
All of them.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Sweeping and tapping both sound dated as fuck unless you do something really original with them.
Quote by blue_strat
Sweeping and tapping both sound dated as **** unless you do something really original with them.

I don't see how they sound "dated". Sure, both techniques have been used and overused in the past, but that seems an odd thing to say. I've messed around with a couple pieces by Bach in the past and they don't sound dated despite their centuries of existence. Would you mind explaining this more thoroughly to me?