I currently use a Gateway MT6452 laptop, and I love it to death, but recently the mic and headphone jacks have gotten loose, and now neither of them will make a connection at all.

I called a few computer repair shops, and since they are soldered to the motherboard, I'd need a whole new one to fix it, with the cost of a mother board and putting it in, I've decided it'll be easier to get a new laptop. I can't get a desktop because I need portability for school.

Here is what I need:
Good sound card, as it will be used for mainly music and recording.
Decent graphics.
Memory isn't a huge deal, though I need a decent chunk, maybe 60 GB?
Probably used for cheapness. I have no job, so cost is a huge factor.
OS doesn't matter a lot to me, most likely XP though if I'm getting smaller memory.

Any ideas/help?
Last edited by sglover34479 at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by britishsligean
look at acer there pretty good and most of them come with graphics cards

You had best be a troll.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by britishsligean
look at acer there pretty good and most of them come with graphics cards

Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by Saf1
I'm pretty sure a loose jack socket can be soldered back into place (think how it got there in the first place), just that the tech geeks wanna make some money off you.

the jack is broken from the case, it's only attached to the mother board still = needs to be replaced
Computer thread and try to go there with a specific budget, it makes things so much easier.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

That looks good tbh, but 500 is a bit more than I was hoping for, I guess i could push it to that if needed.
Maybe look at an HP? Acer is good too. I myself just ordered a new Dell laptop for college, but it's probably outside of your budget...
Quote by sglover34479
That looks good tbh, but 500 is a bit more than I was hoping for, I guess i could push it to that if needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101180

You're not going to be playing many games on it, though.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by ttreat31
Maybe look at an HP?

Until you start spending large amounts of money I'd stay away from HP and Compaq, they're not worth the trouble.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Until you start spending large amounts of money I'd stay away from HP and Compaq, they're not worth the touble.

I agree,

To that other link, it looks iffy, i do need to watch video fluidly and all, but idk..
I guess it depends what his budget is. My brother just got a new HP laptop that wasn't too expensive and it's pretty nice.
go to a computer shop and ask if they sell refurbished laptops (aka built from second hand parts for 500 you should get a decent laptop.
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Quote by ttreat31
I guess it depends what his budget is. My brother just got a new HP laptop that wasn't too expensive and it's pretty nice.

What model is it?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
What model is it?

I believe it's a Pavilion dv6z series.
Quote by sglover34479
I google'd that thing looks amazing, I may save up and get it

Indeed, is quite nice.
I've got the HP G60 o.O it's been really good, had it for about 2 months now, 650$ though so you probobly won't be buying it

The only problem is that it's getting slowed down with spam I think since my antivirus ran out D:
Quote by ttreat31
I believe it's a Pavilion dv6z series.

If that is the case then he picked one of the better ones but also by HP standards that's a higher-end machine. There are some models that do have consistent, recurring and sometimes unsolvable-without-a-new-motherboard issues.

Quote by GuitarYay
I've got the HP G60 o.O it's been really good, had it for about 2 months now, 650$ though so you probobly won't be buying it

Again, not a bad machine but still towards the higher end of HPs line.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by sglover34479
How much did he pay? Also, is it a well built notebook? Maybe getting it 2nd hand is'nt out of the picture.

Eh, I think it was about $600. Not sure if that's in your budget. I don't know if buying a laptop secondhand is such a good idea. I would just buy something new that's more in your price range.

Try Acer?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If that is the case then he picked one of the better ones but also by HP standards that's a higher-end machine. There are some models that do have consistent, recurring and sometimes unsolvable-without-a-new-motherboard issues.

Again, not a bad machine but still towards the higher end of HPs line.

Yeah, I'm really happy with it for my first laptop, it's pretty good with games to and music, i've got 200+ GB of memory I can't remember exactly how much
Quote by GuitarYay
Yeah, I'm really happy with it for my first laptop, it's pretty good with games to and music, i've got 200+ GB of memory I can't remember exactly how much

Probably 250, the next common size up after that is 320.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Probably 250, the next common size up after that is 320.

Yeah you're right, I was about to edit my above post but w/e