Page 1 of 2
thoughts on the gibson les paul studio? and how to make it look better.

standard sg vs lp studio?

any other suggestions? my last name is gibson, so i thought a gibson would be cool XD
Washburn / Boogiestreet guitars boogiebolt 2 w/ blackouts
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
squier bullet w/ebony board
ibanez weeping demon
Last edited by allskillage at Jul 2, 2009,
Not worth it, overpriced piece of cardboard.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Not worth it, overpriced piece of cardboard.

that comment is empty without a reasonable alternative.
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Well, the crappy finish is one of the things that allow Gibson to sell the studio as such a cheap (relative) price. For a black LP studio, one thing I thought about doing is making some small mods to make it look more like a vintage LP standard or something.

So you could, change the pickup selector, pickguard, and pickup mounts from the black on the studio to a creme colored as shown ^. Maybe give it a binding if it's not too much work? And lastly, change the knobs to the vintage style. I've never done it, so I dunno how it would look, but..it makes sense, doesn't it?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Last edited by stinger12345 at Jul 2, 2009,
thankyou for the suggestion! ill look into that. do people install binding for you???!!?? and how much would that be.... still the other things would be easy to change up
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
I'm not sure how hard bindings are. That could be the only thing you might not be able to do...we'll see what others say.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

any thoughts on a standard sg? they got lowered in price a little while back.
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Oh I didn't even notice that. Personally I'd get the SG Std over the LP Studio. If you buy new, the SG will be more expensive. But you can get a used SG for $700-900 if you have a little patience, I've seen TONS of em in that range, including the one I just traded. I prefer SG's to LP's, mainly because I'm a smaller guy, so gigging with the lighter guitar is a plus, the thinner neck is too.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

oh kool thanks. i only played the SG once and it felt really wierd, but yet again, every guitar that i dont own feels wierd. ill look into the sg, i can get it new for like 1200-1300. plus i get it new, and if not like 900 used. how does it sound in comparison to the LP, rock/punk wise? ill try some more this weekend if thats the path i should be taking.
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
do sg's just come in ebony and red with a black pickguard?
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Yes, the Gibson SG Standard only comes in Heritage Cherry (transparent red) or Ebony (black).

As far as Lp Studio vs SG Standard goes, of course it depends a lot on which features you prefer and the type of tone you want but in terms of sheer build quality, the SG will be built better and with better quality wood and parts.
Generally, LP Studios are trash. Every now and then a good one comes along but they're pretty rare and it can take a lot of hunting to find a good one. I'm not saying that every SG Standard that rolls out the factory is flawless, but on average there are more good SG Standards around than good LP Studios. Also there is the simple fact that the SG Standard is made with higher grade wood than the LP Studio, which obviously isn't something you could ever upgrade on the Studio and is quite a big deal.

Also, to whoever suggested it above: binding is very hard to add onto a guitar that was not made to have it. It'll require the whole guitar to be refinished and is very, very easy to **** up and impossible to revert if you do bugger it up. It's a much easier task when the guitar is first being made, but doing it to a guitar that's already completed is close to impossible (unless you're a good enough luthier to pull it off consistently - but if you were that good then you'd also be good enough to just make your own guitar anyway). Also, just updating the pickup mounting rings, pots and so on isn't going to make a trash Studio sound or play any better. It's a false economy because by the time you've upgraded everything you'll have spent just as much money as if you had bought a Standard right away, and even then the Standard will still be better on average.

So yeah, bugger the Studios; maybe consider the SG Standard if you can live with it's features (possible neck/body weight balance problems, a 'thinner' tone on the neck pickup).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble

So yeah, bugger the Studios; maybe consider the SG Standard if you can live with it's features (possible neck/body weight balance problems, a 'thinner' tone on the neck pickup).

thankyou for all of that, what would you recommend? you seem rocky on both of them. the one fireburst studio looks nice, but not if it sucks. sg's feel wierd, but i could do it.
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
binding requires a section to be cut out of the lip around the top of the body, and replaced with plastic or whatever you'd like. wouldn't be TOO too bad since the studio is a flat top

but i definitely agree, an LP without binding looks a bit weird, ESPECIALLY on a flat top. it looks really cheap

on the other hand, i LOVE sg's, and if you can get a good price on a standard sg, i say go for it.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
binding requires a section to be cut out of the lip around the top of the body, and replaced with plastic or whatever you'd like. wouldn't be TOO too bad since the studio is a flat top

but i definitely agree, an LP without binding looks a bit weird, ESPECIALLY on a flat top. it looks really cheap

on the other hand, i LOVE sg's, and if you can get a good price on a standard sg, i say go for it.

the fireburst one looks alright, is the LP really that bad? my guitar teacher has both and he says the only difference is looks.
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Get the SG, all les paul studios that are more than 800 aren't worth it.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
really? kool, my teachers gonna be mad when i show him this thread . whats so bad about them? they have DECENT specs.
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
bump, i need some strong points to combat my teacher with XD
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by allskillage
whats so bad about them? they have DECENT specs.
There's more to a guitar than just what the brands put on their spec sheets.

For example, for a brand might say that a guitar of theres as an ash body. People hear ash is a good body wood so they assumje that guitar's body must be good. But there's many types of ash, not all of them are good. The body could be made of multiple pieces of wood rather than just one or two large pieces. The ash used could be very low grade.

It's the same deal with the Studios. Gibson market them as if the only differences between them and the Standards is the binding and fretboard inlays. In reality, Studios have more frgamented bodies (often 3-piece bodies instead of 2-piece that is common on Standards, though this depends on the year made). Studios are made of the mahogany Gibson gets that is deemed too low grade for the Standards - it won't resonate as well, giving a usually 'dead' tone and less sustain, as well as often more weight and worse looks on transparent finishes. The rosewood they use on the fretboards is lower grade; it will be rougher with more open grain, making for a less slick feel. Depending on the year it was made, Studios have also had softer fretwire (wears down quicker), inferior electronics, etc etc etc.

As I said before, occasionally you'll still get a good Studio turning up, but it's rare. The Studios back in the early and mid 90's were also much better but they've been significantly downgraded since then.

As far as good alternatives go, I don't think it's a good idea to be looking at Firebirds and SGs and whatever if what you really want is the LP tone. It's not that the Firebirds or SGs are worse, just that they're different so if what you really want is one thing than getting the other isn't going to make you happy.
You could try looking at the used market for a LP Standard. You can often find them used for around the same price as a new Studio.

Quote by LifeIsABullet16
Studios are carved tops.
You're also making it sound simpler than it actually is. It's a helluva process if you're not doing it to a raw body.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
thanks man, so a standards they way to go? what about an esp with duncan jb's? or are they to hot.
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
what about a les paul classic?
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
personally unless you can mod the LP studio like everyone has been saying don't do it.
I played some Studios in the past, sounded fine but a lot of them looked like puke (IMO)

I would've suggested the SG, but since you have a Jackson set for drop C I'd say go for the ESP EC-1000 Deluxe with duncans, again IMO it's more versatile, but if you're a purist looking for "classic gibson tone" go with the SG.

And just to send the point home this was my opinion (for those who may not have picked up on that part yet) :P
i have the jackson because i was a metal head. but now i have a band and need a new sound. i think i should look into esp and the duncan jb's... itl help my pocket a lot.
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
if i get a studio in fireburst should i go for it?... anyone have anything to say about the classic?
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
sorry for triple post! idea, get a esp eclipse 2, swap the pups if i cant handle emgs. or do the 18v mod to it.
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by allskillage
that comment is empty without a reasonable alternative.

Yeah sorry, I was a little cranky.

Epiphone elitist les pauls are much better for the money, I would recommend that instead.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Thanks For the suggestion ;d . I'll look into it, are esps
Made in USA? There awfully low prices I'd they are. I know ltd isn't
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
hate it. It's so damn worth paying a thousand more and getting a std. used it's less more. It looks nasty. better off buying an epiphone std. les paul without binding is FAIL FAIL FAIL
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
ESP eclipse 2??
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by apak
hate it. It's so damn worth paying a thousand more and getting a std. used it's less more. It looks nasty. better off buying an epiphone std. les paul without binding is FAIL FAIL FAIL

Amen to that

but in all seriousness try some of the ESP EC's if you want a Les Paul look...honestly I'd rather get an ESP EC (like the previous one i mentioned LTD EC-1000 Deluxe w/ duncans) than a Gibson Les Paul at all.

You see getting a Gibson Les Paul (not the studio) to me is saying "when I play gigs this thing pays for itself"

I recommend against the Studio with all my heart :P

But in the end it's all up to you to go out and try all of these guitars we've mentioned :P
What about an actual ESP eclipse? The ltd is awsome, but wouldn't the ESP be a big upgrade? Or the be ESP ex, it looks nice. Emgs can handle lighter stuff right? We play distorted, but not death metal..
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
the ec 1000 owns... Thanks for the suggestion man
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
I gotta stop walking into these LP studio threads.

I'm a proud owner of one of the 08 models and it plays the **** out of my friends' standard LP. Maybe I'm EQ'd in my amp for the pure mahogany tone (no maple cap) that ruins it but I find them to play with the same ease.

I could have just gotten lucky...but these threads make me
Quote by manhangi
I gotta stop walking into these LP studio threads.

I'm a proud owner of one of the 08 models and it plays the **** out of my friends' standard LP. Maybe I'm EQ'd in my amp for the pure mahogany tone (no maple cap) that ruins it but I find them to play with the same ease.

I could have just gotten lucky...but these threads make me

so some people do like studios, what colour do you have?
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by allskillage
so some people do like studios, what colour do you have?

the Vintage Mahogany only came in one color and I forget the name, it was not glossed over, though. I think Wine Red (it was fairly dark with the reddish tones)

I like the sound of it, honestly. If I got a custom shop gibson I'd make them use a Mahogany cap because this guitar made me love the sound.
Quote by manhangi
the Vintage Mahogany only came in one color and I forget the name, it was not glossed over, though. I think Wine Red (it was fairly dark with the reddish tones)

I like the sound of it, honestly. If I got a custom shop gibson I'd make them use a Mahogany cap because this guitar made me love the sound.

nice, i hate that studios have no binding. i think ima say byebye to the studio, just because when i go on stage it wont be as impressive. ill still try some more though, for the carvin guy; how do you know what pickups to choose for it?
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by MrFlibble
Studios are carved tops.
You're also making it sound simpler than it actually is. It's a helluva process if you're not doing it to a raw body.

i must have been thinking of "The Paul" or something

and yeah, it's no easy process, but there are some serious tools out there to help out in the process if you know where to look. i've seen it done with a hand drill. but the fact that it's a carved top body complicates it a bit if you want it even with the body, which obviously you would
BS it isn't impressive...but I am a blues dude so the 'natural' approach usually is the best to my usual crowds. You know, khaki, button up shirts, and overall cleanliness.

THEN for the hard stuff I play it just looks and sounds pretty raw.

Binding is a BS factor anyway. If it has good wood, pickups, and strings tuned up then the guitar is playable. No need for flash, gloss, binding, gold or platinum hardware (so long as whatever the hardware is reliable).

IN THE END the looks should only be factors on coin toss guitar decisions. You have two strat standards, one in 3 color sunburst and the other 50s' cream. They play and sound EXACTLY the same to you. I'd go for the sunburst (at this exact moment) but for people who do like both finishes...well...which one is more easy on the eyes or will be more flashy or whatever.

P.S. Try high end Epiphones, srsly. While I love my studio some of the high end Epis' play better than the 'average' studio so UG generally says. I never have seen an epi thats more than 350$ so I can't tell you by first hand experience.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i must have been thinking of "The Paul" or something

I don't get it....?
Page 1 of 2