So I recently came into $600, and being the guitar slut that I am, want some new gear. I currently have an Ampeg VH140C combo on the way, but I found a Line 6 Vetta II on eBay for $575. I really don't need it, but I've been reading some great things about the Vetta here. Or, I could spend my money on a Sterling John Petrucci model that I've been gawking at since they first announced them. I currently only have one guitar (a Les Paul Studio), which is nice but the neck is a bit too thick for my liking.

So, what do you guys think? The unnecessary but awesome amp or a new guitar?
Last edited by BeethovensBust at Jul 2, 2009,
I see what you are saying, but buying an amp just because it is cheap is not always the best thing to do. In two months time you may suddenly want a PRS that your mate is selling for $1000 and you won't have the money for it; it will be in your Vetta II that may not even be utilized.
To be honest, when I owned a Vetta, I found myself taking advantage of one or two tones, and that was it. The novelty of all that gloriousness soon wore off. I always returned to the same tones. And those tones weren't actually any better than a £400 Peavey Classic 30 off ebay.

It's entirely up to you though, it is a great amp. What kind of music do you play?
For 600 bux I'd just buy a bunch of effects that I'd want/need with the Ampeg... such as a delay, maybe an OD, wah, etc.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thats what I've been thnking as far as the Vetta- I wouldn't fully take advatage of every style is has to offer. I mainly stay within the prog metal genre (Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc.), and sometimes venture into thrash and NWOBHM.
That being said, do the models on the Vetta accurately portray what they are modelling? Does it sound digital?
I think a lot of them sound REALLY good, but some of them are lacking. For example,
The Bogner Ecstacy doesn't have enough treble for riffing. Also, the 5150 and Recto's sound REALLY metallic. It turns out GREAT when recording though. I gave clips in my profile.

Disturbed clip: ENGL Powerball
Line 6 Spinal Puppet

KSE: two 5150's

BFMV: Two Line 6 Modern High Gains

In Flames: Two boosted JCM900s
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by BeethovensBust
That being said, do the models on the Vetta accurately portray what they are modelling? Does it sound digital?
It does sound digital, yes. But you have to understand that is it a digital amp. There is only so far it can take you. They do a great job at attempting to mimick the charasterics of a classic valve amp cranked, but at the end of the day, it is just a copy.
The idea is not to think about whether they sound accurate to the original, but whether they sound good or not, ignoring their supposed purpose.
The best set-up is too find two individual amp tones you particularly like, and combine them in stereo. Then stick a BBE Sonic Maximizer in the effects loop and add a form of an effect, such as a compressor or a light synthesizer.
What you have there then is the most articulate and interesting tone you can get for £800.
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to stick with the Ampeg and get a new guitar, then look for a new amp if I ever get tired of the Ampeg.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to stick with the Ampeg and get a new guitar, then look for a new amp if I ever get tired of the Ampeg.

you WILL NOT get tired of the Amped

but if you do send it to me
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I couldn't do it, guys.

I couldn't resist the Vetta, especially since I talked the seller down to $450. For a Vetta II, that seemed like a total steal.
what happened to the studio 15?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
what happened to the studio 15?

I sold it already.

Seemed like a great amp if you dug the sound though.
NICE. I love my Vetta. I should send you some patches of mine... Clips in teh profile
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by BeethovensBust
I couldn't do it, guys.

I couldn't resist the Vetta, especially since I talked the seller down to $450. For a Vetta II, that seemed like a total steal.

Good choice

I would always go for a new amp than a new guitar any day, but that's just me. Wanna trade the Vetta for my Spider III? It has teh br00tuhlz metal tone

if only it would be that easy to get rid of my spider

I was looking at the amp models on Line 6's website and saw the bR00tal Insane channel is on the Vetta!

Can't wait for it to come. Never again will I have to get external effects! I hope.
Share your patches in the Patch sharing thread when you get a chance!

And apparently they redid the Insane channel on the Vetta... it sounds a LOT better.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by BeethovensBust

I was looking at the amp models on Line 6's website and saw the bR00tal Insane channel is on the Vetta!

Can't wait for it to come. Never again will I have to get external effects! I hope.

You should really look into getting one of the FBV foot things, though, if they are compatible with the Vetta... they are really convenient.
Congrats man I've heard a lot of good stuff about that amp.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE