Hi there folks.
My sister's recently given up the guitar (not that she ever took it that seriously) and I would like to buy her guitar off her, only she's left-handed and I'm right. It's a Daisy Rock (the pink flower one ), and I want it half as a joke, half for on-stage with a band I'm forming (called Captain Mango and the Astro-Naughties, outrageous name deserves silly equipment right?).

Now obviously the nut will need replacing/switching round (by the by, how do you remove a nut? Steam it and pull/tap with a screwdriver+hammer I guess but I could be way off..)
What else will need doing? For the strap I can use it acoustic style, with the one end laced around the headstock, the other strap-holder is in the right place then (dead center on the bottom of the body).
Will the pickups need anything? They're both set straight, so if they're wound the same throughout I assume there's no problem, but are they normally homogenous or is there a difference from low-high end?

Anything I'm missing?

Cheers
John
Well ive done this before with a squier and if the guitar is a strat style then take the strap button off and put it in the other horn or i suggest bring it to a shop to have them do everything
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
all you'll need to do is get a new nut and then you're done
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by ItsThatDude
all you'll need to do is get a new nut and then you're done

Sweet, I assume I'd need to sort the bridge out too though? Just set the string-guides to the right distance (where they're staggered by the string-holes) so that the staggering is reversed
everything should be fine but your controls and the input jack might get in the way while strumming
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
Quote by tushmeister
Sweet, I assume I'd need to sort the bridge out too though? Just set the string-guides to the right distance (where they're staggered by the string-holes) so that the staggering is reversed

haha oh yeah dude idk what i was thinking. yeah you're going to want to adjust the string action to your liking and re-intonate all the strings, but that wont be too hard
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Dude, I've plaed lefty guitars restrung righty, the controls are REALLY annoying, you'll wanna relocate them.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I play this guitar right-handed all the time (I've learnt to play things upside down) and the controls have never been anywhere near being a problem, that may change when it's strung 'the right way' but I do doubt it
I've heard bad things about tying off at the head on electrics. They're heavier and don't have the beefy necks acoustics do. I'd just switch the strap button around.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by †SDMF†
I have a lefty strat that I turned right and I did not change the nut, it works fine.

Thats impossible.
The strings wouldnt fit into the slots if you didnt.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by Natrone
I've heard bad things about tying off at the head on electrics. They're heavier and don't have the beefy necks acoustics do. I'd just switch the strap button around.

This guitar is lighter than my acoustic, by a long shot too (the thing is almost like a 3/4, it's tiny but easily playable) however I will probably eventually do it, for now I think tying it off should be ok, once I've the money to get the strap button moved I will I expect
Do you not have a power drill? Installing a strap button isn't exactly difficult. It's a simple matter of drilling a hole in putting in a screw.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Pics or it didnt happen.
I went to your page, theres no lefty on there.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by tushmeister
Hi there folks.
My sister's recently given up the guitar (not that she ever took it that seriously) and I would like to buy her guitar off her, only she's left-handed and I'm right. It's a Daisy Rock (the pink flower one ), and I want it half as a joke, half for on-stage with a band I'm forming (called Captain Mango and the Astro-Naughties, outrageous name deserves silly equipment right?).

Now obviously the nut will need replacing/switching round (by the by, how do you remove a nut? Steam it and pull/tap with a screwdriver+hammer I guess but I could be way off..)
What else will need doing? For the strap I can use it acoustic style, with the one end laced around the headstock, the other strap-holder is in the right place then (dead center on the bottom of the body).
Will the pickups need anything? They're both set straight, so if they're wound the same throughout I assume there's no problem, but are they normally homogenous or is there a difference from low-high end?

Anything I'm missing?

Cheers
John
Yeah, in addition to replacing the nut, you'll need to swap all the bridge saddles in a mirror pattern so the saddles with the wider slots will be in the right positions. Make a note of the number of turns you unscrewed each saddle so you'll be fairly close on your intonation when you put it in it's new location. Then final adjustment of intonation will be a breeze.

Your pickups will work just fine with the strings reverse. But the controls and output jack will be in awkward positions.

It's almost criminal to convert a lefty to right handed.
Left-handers have a terrible time finding guitars.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Yeah, in addition to replacing the nut, you'll need to swap all the bridge saddles in a mirror pattern so the saddles with the wider slots will be in the right positions. Make a note of the number of turns you unscrewed each saddle so you'll be fairly close on your intonation when you put it in it's new location. Then final adjustment of intonation will be a breeze.

Your pickups will work just fine with the strings reverse. But the controls and output jack will be in awkward positions.

It's almost criminal to convert a lefty to right handed.
Left-handers have a terrible time finding guitars.

Right, question resolved for definite now.

And I know, but I'm hoping there aren't too many female lefty's who want to make themselves look silly with a flower guitar, I hope they take it too seriously (having struggled so hard to find a guitar to learn on at some point) to use a flower, enforcing the false stereotype that girls either don't play, or play flower guitars...

I think that covers me, morally
Quote by Little_Buster
Thats impossible.
The strings wouldnt fit into the slots if you didnt.

Actuly it would work but maybe not stay in tune as well as it normally would

I had a 1990 Gibson les paul flipped upside down for lefthanded playing and didnt get a new nut , just put the tailpiece on the other way round
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
Quote by slashfan189
Actuly it would work but maybe not stay in tune as well as it normally would

I had a 1990 Gibson les paul flipped upside down for lefthanded playing and didnt get a new nut , just put the tailpiece on the other way round

Surely you'd have to really grind down on the .10 end of the nut to fit a string 4x it's thickness (using .10 gauge as the example, so .10 - .46)
They're meant to fit quite snugly to remove buzz, the .10 would be in a massive gap (though it would probably dig into the bottom, lowering the string by a fraction compared to the others, but making it snug) while the thicker string simply wouldn't fit until you'd practically raped the nut.
I put .13's on an old guitar, going from .46 to .56 on the low E involved filing the nut, so I can only imagine .10 - .46...