Change the sound of a chord progression? For example, if it's a harder sounding progression, could the Bass line and the rythem alter the mood of that section of the song depending on how it's played? It's hard to explain but if somebody understands, I'd appreciate it alot.
Absolutely. In fact, in bach style chorales for example, there is very little movement in the middle and upper voices, and almost all the leaps and motion is in the bassline.
Quote by tubatom868686
Absolutely. In fact, in bach style chorales for example, there is very little movement in the middle and upper voices, and almost all the leaps and motion is in the bassline.

There is plenty of motion in the upper voices. Dramatic and angular motion is just more tolerated in the bassline because its purpose is centered around establishing harmonic context rather than melody.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
There is plenty of motion in the upper voices. Dramatic and angular motion is just more tolerated in the bassline because its purpose is centered around establishing harmonic context rather than melody.

So you agree with me. Theres usually more movement (as in large movement, like leaps) in the bass then in other voices
Quote by tubatom868686
So you agree with me. Theres usually more movement (as in large movement, like leaps) in the bass then in other voices

I vaguely recall you claiming...

there is very little movement in the middle and upper voices

Which is so hillariously wrong that I strongly suspect you have never heard a single chorale in your life.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I vaguely recall you claiming...

Which is so hillariously wrong that I strongly suspect you have never heard a single chorale in your life.

Upper voices usually dont have leaps, and middle voices barely move at all (as in when they do, its not by much)

Any one who knows the first thing about bach chorales knows this
^ I'm sure he was just being relative, Archeo.

Bass lines can certainly change the feel of a progression. The way instruments interact has more say on the mood then what each instrument is playing on its own.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by tubatom868686
Upper voices usually dont have leaps, and middle voices barely move at all (as in when they do, its not by much)

Any one who knows the first thing about bach chorales knows this

I have the scores of all 371 Bach four-part chorales in front of me. There is a suspiciously large amount of movement in the upper voices.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I have the scores of all 371 Bach four-part chorales in front of me. There is a suspiciously large amount of movement in the upper voices.

I was speaking relative to the bass. And also, when I say movement, I dont mean how much the part moves, but by how much. Not how many times it moves, but the interval it moves by.

Now stop trying to derail threads with your dubious technicality. Its common knowledge that in bach chorales, the bass part is more likely to move in large intervals than any other part
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by tubatom868686
I was speaking relative to the bass. And also, when I say movement, I dont mean how much the part moves, but by how much. Not how many times it moves, but the interval it moves by.

Now stop trying to derail threads with your dubious technicality. Its common knowledge that in bach chorales, the bass part is more likely to move in large intervals than any other part

It doesn't matter what you mean, only what you say. The problem is that all you said was that there is very little motion in the upper voices. To give everyone else an idea of what "very little" means...

If you meant something different, that's fine. But your initial post was incorrect. If you're going to use a personal definition of "moves" you need to explain it up front. I (perhaps unreasonably) interpreted "very little movement" to mean "moves very little", not "moves a lot, not by leaps as frequently as the bass does".
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jul 2, 2009,
Kinda proved my point actually. See how the upper voice only moves by more then a third one time? Thats what I mean by little movement. Movement in small increments. And the one time that it did move a 5th, it was still just a pick up note

EDIT: Its worth noting that the third is considered the smallest consonant interval. But yes, thank you for understanding the meaning of my post
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jul 2, 2009,
yes i think it can.
as an example, play the exact same progression, stacatto then legato, then just mess with different rythms... they all give different feels imo.
also the bas can help determine the mood of the song, or at least the whole experience in general. imagine a Rush song where geddy is going crazy, with him playing only root notes and copying the guitar part. or a muse song with out with out a cool bassline...

bass makes a huge difference, and rythm is one of the biggest components of music.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by tubatom868686
Kinda proved my point actually. See how the upper voice only moves by more then a third one time? Thats what I mean by little movement. Movement in small increments. And the one time that it did move a 5th, it was still just a pick up note

EDIT: Its worth noting that the third is considered the smallest consonant interval. But yes, thank you for understanding the meaning of my post

... I counted four.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
Quote by jslick07
... I counted four.

Wow, I totally f'ed that up, haha. Still though, the point that bass has most of the large motion in bach chorales is true
Quote by tubatom868686
Wow, I totally f'ed that up, haha. Still though, the point that bass has most of the large motion in bach chorales is true

don't worry, i use a caculator to do single didgit addition and subtraction, we can't all be good at math. thank God i can count to four, while saying e, and ah, in between each number...:rolleye:
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Still a big facepalm for myself. Oh well.

Also, a question to TS. Have you ever tried to play covers with a bad bassist?
It doesn't matter what you mean, only what you say.

Wrong, when his intent is clear, you're not being some super internet arguing hero to correct him. You sir, are being a big pompous jerk.

This is a forum for the discussion of music, not a place for you to wage your little semantics wars.