Page 1 of 2
Alright so I'm starting college this fall, and I was looking at possible ways to keep in shape rather than the conventional gym workout. For the past four years in high school I've done football and I did a little bit of wrestling so I've always had something to keep me in shape, but now I pretty much have nothing. I've been letting myself go and I don't want it to get bad.

So, I did a bit of research and I realized that I could probably start doing a martial art. I'm a bit sick of the whole team sport thing so I'd rather not do football or something similar. My question is, which martial art should I pursue?

I kind of narrowed it down to either judo or jiu jitsu but to be completely honest I really don't have a thorough understanding of the two disciplines, just that judo is a bit more reliant on throws and jiu jitsu has more to do with ground techniques.

Anyone have any input on which would be better? I'm looking to do whichever martial art I do recreationally, not competitively. This is more for self-defense and conditioning more than anything.

Thanks for any help
Jiu Jitsu in my personal opinion, unless you want to do a sport, then judo...or BJJ if there's a BJJ club near you.
Jiu Jitsu tends to deal with more than ground fighting, but ground fighting is a very important part of it.
Quote by Twisted Magnum

This, BJJ, or Krav Maga. Tae Kwon Do is good too, but I'm biased 'cause I'm already a black belt in it .
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
nothing can beat an intense gym workout in my opinion but hmm try the martial arts see how that works out..i did it already a long time ago but its not for me they just show you routines and some exercises and all that stuff..you gotta know what your looking for
Quote by Nico the Great
This, BJJ, or Krav Maga. Tae Kwon Do is good too, but I'm biased 'cause I'm already a black belt in it .

Krav Maga? Isn't the wicked tough russian martial art?
Yeah I did tae kwon do when I was younger, didn't get to black belt though.

I was leaning a bit towards BJJ, I should clarify that I'm not really looking for an emphasis on striking techniques though (like in muy thai).
Quote by Nico the Great

me too!
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Nico the Great

Fuck Krav Maga IMO..
You'd have to be ballsy as fuck to risk most of that irl.
Quote by MedicreDemon
Krav Maga? Isn't the wicked tough russian martial art?

Krav Maga originates in Israel, if I recall correctly. The technique isn't that complicated, but like Shaun said, you've gotta be ballsy to do it .
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Aikido

Like Steven Seagal

His objective is to be fit, not create tacky action movies
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by Nico the Great
Krav Maga originates in Israel, if I recall correctly. The technique isn't that complicated, but like Shaun said, you've gotta be ballsy to do it .

I couldn't remember where it was I just remember seeing it on Jackass or wildboyz I just guessed it was Russian because everything they do is tough as hell.

Quote by ChucklesMginty
Aikido

Like Steven Seagal

I don't know much about it, but I'm fairly sure it's to do with using an enemies force against them. So it's very much to do with self-defence.

Spelled that wrong too..... and yeah, Aikido has a really peaceful philosophy, My brother actually quit because there "wasn't enough violence for him".
Last edited by MedicreDemon at Jul 2, 2009,
I don't think I've ever really hard of Krav Maga to be honest...though my friend did specnaz systema which is apparently Russian hand to hand combat if it's similar? I wouldn't know.

And yeah, it is mostly conditioning and self-defense. I don't know how Aikido is with the conditioning aspect.

Edit: my friend just finished his first year at UCLA and he joined BJJ over there. He tells me it gets you really in shape so I'm leaning towards that.
Last edited by Led_Head Salvy at Jul 2, 2009,
Aikido, been practicing for 6 months. Works wonders for keeping in shape, reflexes, and it's about grappling, wristlocks, and such. Like Jiu Jitsu but not focused on competition
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by Led_Head Salvy
I don't think I've ever really hard of Krav Maga to be honest...though my friend did specnaz systema which is apparently Russian hand to hand combat if it's similar? I wouldn't know.

And yeah, it is mostly conditioning and self-defense. I don't know how Aikido is with the conditioning aspect.

krav maga is an anti-weapons self defense. It teaches you how to get the upper hand when the opponent has a weapon such as a gun, knife, etc. it's very useful in the street.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

If youre doing this primarily to get in shape then you cant really beat good old boxing. None of this fancy crap
Alright guys, thanks for all the responses!
I have a lot more to think about but it looks like the general agreement is towards BJJ so that confirms what I've been considering. Never thought of Aikido so I'll consider that also.

Krav Maga does sound intense though

Edit: yeah boxing isn't really my style, or else I'd agree
Last edited by Led_Head Salvy at Jul 2, 2009,
hmm
I do ITF Taekwondo and i think its really great. Don't be fooled by what you see on Olympics and all that, that is WTF Taekwondo, the watered down sport version of taekwondo. ITF taekwondo is a bit more hardcore because it's full contact sparring with no body and head armor, and it's more of a martial art than a sport.

Kyokushin Karate is good for body conditioning ...
links later.

Edit: Links

ITF Taekwondo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igb2bABNuRM&feature=channel_page

Kyokushin Karate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab3PWC4T7G0&feature=channel_page
Last edited by Arterial at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Arterial
hmm
I do ITF Taekwondo and i think its really great. Don't be fooled by what you see on Olympics and all that, that is WTF Taekwondo, the watered down sport version of taekwondo. ITF taekwondo is a bit more hardcore because it's full contact with no body and head armor, and it's more of a martial art than a sport.
Kyokushin Karate is good for body conditioning ...
links later.

I know I already posted about Tae Kwon Do, but still, +1.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
If you want to stay in shape kock boxing or muay thai is the way to go.
On the other hand if you really want to do judo or ju jitsu, you could go to the respective gyms and ask if you could try 'em out for a couple of times before enrolling. Do the one you like more.
I used to do Tae kwon do. i got to black belt. i was in great shape and stronger when i was in it. im out of shape now and very not flexible.. :/
idk in other schools, but the place i went to, we learned judo and jiu-jitsu and street self-defence techniques where i went. so i got to learn a combination of all that in one place XD
i suggest you look into Tae kwon do.
Quote by edgeyyz
It's like everyone's getting laid and I'm the only virgin...

Quote by Nunwhxre 666
I now dub thee, Fapking.

Bow down to the Fapking!

Shoop Group!
Quote by stratman7
I say muay thai for actual useful self defense skills.

I know people that have gone to muay thai gyms for conditioning and the
weight just fell off.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I think the Muay Thai taught in Thailand is a lot more fearsome than the ones outside of it, the ones outside of Thailand are a bit less hardcore in terms of body conditioning i think. I'm pretty sure not too much bambo-kicking goes on outside of Thailand, i could be wrong. But as a taekwondo practitioner, i can honestly say id be ****-scared to face anyone who did muay thai from thailand.

But remember, every martial art has something to offer. None is better than the other, none is worse.
don't do krav maga. it really isn't for getting in shape, it's for killing people with your bare hands. if you wanna get into shape, good ol' boxing is best. i love martial arts, but so much of it is superfluous movement and wasting energy.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by shredmeiser101
don't do krav maga. it really isn't for getting in shape, it's for killing people with your bare hands. if you wanna get into shape, good ol' boxing is best. i love martial arts, but so much of it is superfluous movement and wasting energy.

but you have to admit, if we are talking purely being in shape, the superfluous movements require much physical strength...and even if it is wasting energy, if you think about it, the more often you 'waste' energy, the larger your energy pool will eventually be, thus you will be more fit (to an extent).
Quote by shredmeiser101

Katas may seem like a waste of time but the martial artists doing them are building muscle memory. Some point in the future when that person is threatened..their reflexes will automatically put their body in the correct position to defend itself without them having to think.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Ninjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Quote by steven seagull
Everytime you feel your attention waning go the mirror and say outloud to yourself...
"I am Rockasaurus Sex...I have the most awesome username in existence and I will ROCK!"
Quote by Nico the Great

Although I'll always recommend Krav Maga as the best self defense technique, I doubt that it's good for being in shape. The whole point in it is to defend yourself easily without being that much in shape.
Taekwon Do is great for being in shape. Lots of kicks, constantly jumping. I'm a blue belt and for sure I always ended up my training DEAD. My trainer was a fitness nazi .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Kick Boxing, Muay Thai or Aikido.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I do tae kwon do. Personally, I think it's a lot of fun. You use a lot of different types of strikes, but it's more focused on kicking.
Quote by abdulalhazred

Quote by RPBiohazard

Careful, guys, she might be a pitophile

you misspelled pedophile

Quote by Garou1911
^
i did aikedo for 3 years. if your looking for a martial art that you can master quickly aikedo is not it. it can take years to be able to use properly. however it is good in terms of wrist lock, shoulder locks. it also touches on the use of swords and knives as well as other useful tid bits for fighting
Quote by RPBiohazard
I do tae kwon do. Personally, I think it's a lot of fun. You use a lot of different types of strikes, but it's more focused on kicking.

+1 for Conditioning.

TKD is probably a bit better for fitness, what with all the highkicks, jumping and such.

Mauy Thai if you want to learn to completely dominate people, though. All of the best fighters in the world do one or the other from the list:
Mauy Thai
Kickboxing (very similar to MT)
Sambo
Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu
Shoot Boxing

Fedor Emelianko, arguably the worlds best fighter, has taken down men nearly twice his weight. He's a heavy weight and trains in Sambo.

Anderson Silva does Mauy Thai, and I think Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu?, he's the best pound-for-pound fighter in MMA.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I have been looking into Aikido, too. It seems that it would be the best fit for me because I don't care for competing; I just want to keep in shape and have something to do in my time off for summer.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Page 1 of 2