i play in a death/thrash metal band, we play in Drop D and I use a 5 string which i just tune to BDADG (once i learn to play better/different lines and fills i'll drop the B to A), and other than a few minor fills, I'm always playing the exact same riffs as the guitar. They encourage me to play more fills and creative lines (think steve harris and steve digiorgio - as apparently, my playing needs more "zazz" ), but it all honesty, i don't really know how to play a different line and make it still sound good.

any tips please?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Last edited by TheTortured at Jul 2, 2009,
people will tell you the same thing. learn scales and learn how to build chords. but what i did was just play around and eventually i learned what sounded good by intuition. it takes time to fully learn the fretboard. just practice at home and try learning some songs by the bassists you mentioned.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
is your name william murderface?
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
Just know the key your songs are in, know what you can play in that key, consider the time signature, and play something tasteful with these in mind.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by operation ktulu
is your name william murderface?

naw but thats where the guys took the zazz thing from

and other guys, thanks for the advice (i'm doing theory study right now)... but also, hypothetically speaking, what am I to do if a song doesn't follow any particular key?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by TheTortured
naw but thats where the guys took the zazz thing from

and other guys, thanks for the advice (i'm doing theory study right now)... but also, hypothetically speaking, what am I to do if a song doesn't follow any particular key?

i highly doubt you will be playing anything atonal, you probably just don't realise what key you are playing in. There is also a difference between a song that does not have a key and a song which has some out of key notes in.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.