Page 1 of 2
Mind-bending black metal, for fans of Cobalt, Wolves In The Throne Room.......I suppose I am a bit biased because theyre Irish, but I reckon a lot of people here would like them. They blend Isis-type stuff with ridiculously expansive BM sections, and the resulting output is really something.

http://www.myspace.com/altarofplagues
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Listening to Gentian Truth Exerpt, really REALLY digging this. Lots of substance in this music, lots to grab my mind on to. Loving the post-rock influences.

Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Not bad... I have been getting into this type of **** alot lately. I guess smoking too much pot helps.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I saw this band at HMV, but I didn't know what style of metal they played. Very cool. will probably pick up a cd
I'm surprised that this thread is so small.

Great stuff. Has the intensity that many "post" bands seem to loose or just completely foget about entirely. The lyrics are absolute ace as well.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I'm surprised that this thread is so small.

Great stuff. Has the intensity that many "post" bands seem to loose or just completely foget about entirely. The lyrics are absolute ace as well.

Yeah the lyrics are excellent, very well thought out. Their first demo was more in a crust/bm vein (much like Cobalt), but got more progressive with each release. Caught em live last week, they were brilliant.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
i read an interview with these guys in some underground magazine.
i'm not one for happy music, but i think when black metal bands use happy major keys, it just makes the song even more depressing?
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

I think I know what you mean?^

I get a sense of delirium, like a drunken happiness. The only reason you're happy is because you've realized the ridiculousness of everything. It's like laughing while holding a gun to your head.

..or maybe I'm way off?
Through the Collapse: Gentian Truth is probably my fav song of '09. The rest of the album though seems ok, but nothing OVER spectacular.
Sounds cool, acquiring right now.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by technicolour
just bought the album today from HMV : /

Is the : / to portray how you feel about the music, or something other?
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

Quote by linfield4466
Is the : / to portray how you feel about the music, or something other?

I was surprised to see it at HMV is all, considering They never have any other artists like this band in their metal section.
They usually have suprising selections. I'm pretty impressed with HMV, other than the fact that they over 8 tonnes of pure crap. Better metal selection than Wal-mart.

However, this band is really amazing, great stuff. Definitely worth another listen
It's odd how they include random snippets of lyrics on the cd case, and I think all of them to the second half of Earth (as a furnace)..but nothing else. Although all the lyrics are available on metal archives.

And on a slightly related topic, the only spot I've seen lyrics to wolves in the throne room's latest album is on their shirts lol. I learned a part of Arimanic trance from reading a friends long-sleeve he bought when we saw them live.
Quote by 0w3n
Through the Collapse: Gentian Truth is probably my fav song of '09. The rest of the album though seems ok, but nothing OVER spectacular.

You should try and pick up the 'sol' ep if you can. Its very like White Tomb, but more aggressive in parts, its amazing.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
i got hold of the album white tomb, and i love it. is there other albums as good/better than this ?
Their ep Sol, is every bit as good. You can probably order it off their myspace, its fairly hard to find otherwise. Their first demo is impossible to find, has more of a crust tinge to it.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I checked out the newest album and its very good stuff, i'll need to get more once i've listened to that one more.
I'll have to give this another listen, but I really wasn't too impressed with it, perhaps I just wasn't listening closely.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
^ Absolute truth. Sol vinyl release on the way, might splash out the cash for it!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Sol is excellent. Unrestrained album, really strange songs - but yet so good. Bit more of a direct BM/hardcore vibe than White Tomb, The Sol stuff live is powerful as you like.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Wait, I did give Sol a listen a while back. Not really paying attention though... seemed good, i'll put it on again soon.
I enjoy Altar of Plagues. However, I don't think they are nearly on the same level as Wolves in the Throne Room or Wodensthrone.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
^No kidding, they're way BETTER than Wolves in the effing Throne Room haha
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

Quote by Burning_Angel
I enjoy Altar of Plagues. However, I don't think they are nearly on the same level as Wolves in the Throne Room or Wodensthrone.

I dunno, White Tomb seems to be a lot more unique than other BM albums. Both those bands are also amazing and it's hard for me to choose, but I think AOP is better than Wodensthrone at least.
Quote by Deplorable
I dunno, White Tomb seems to be a lot more unique than other BM albums. Both those bands are also amazing and it's hard for me to choose, but I think AOP is better than Wodensthrone at least.

Ok, probably as good or better than Wodensthrone.

But, Black Cascade kicks the shit out of White Tomb, to me. I need to go back and listen to White Tomb again, to be sure, but last time I listened, that was the case.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Burning_Angel
Ok, probably as good or better than Wodensthrone.

But, Black Cascade kicks the shit out of White Tomb, to me. I need to go back and listen to White Tomb again, to be sure, but last time I listened, that was the case.

Maybe, I've always fancied Two Hunters a bit more, but I'll still agree to Black Cascade being better than White Tomb anyday.
White Tomb was easily one of my favorite releases this year, good stuff, good stuff. It's a pretty damn bleak listen all in one go. The first track kicks my ass every time.
Sample from the new EP, 'Tides' is up on the myspazz now.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by technicolour
To me it seems like they packed the best riffs into the first two tracks. ):

Yeah, I felt that way too. The third song was more of a doom-ish song with the slow vocals at least. However, the last song is pretty decent.
But just to put in my 2 cents on the table and continue the discussion from where it was left off, WITTR does sound a lot better to me compared to AoP. Black Cascade just shits all over White Tomb. But the energy present in White Tomb makes me enjoy the album at the same level of Black Cascade..

Nevertheless, I gotta thank Stranglehold for suggesting them to me in the first place..

New EP's out today right?
Wann kann ich dich von diesem Ort wegbringen?
Wann ist der Tod unser einziger Zuschauer?
Wann können wir schreien anstatt zu flüstern?
Wann ist der neue Anfang das Ende dieses traurigen Madrigals?
Last edited by RAH7747 at Apr 1, 2010,
Page 1 of 2