I've got a bit of a dilemma... I recently got a Peavey Windsor half stack, and with no distortion pedal on, it sounds great. The only problem is that I need a semi-clean sound, which I can achieve on said amp, but I also need the overdrive. Rolling back the guitar volume doesn't give me the clean sound I want while using the amp's gain, so I'd like to keep the amp gain around 3 and use my DS-1 to get distortion. But no matter how low I have the gain on the pedal, the sound is really muddy. I've tried plugging it into the FX loop, messing with the amp's EQ, and pretty much everything else. I can buy a new pedal if necessary, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. But if I absolutely had to, would a Tube Screamer do the job?
"The Soup Nazi of the Seinfeld Avatar Club-PM IHATECHILDREN to join"

Member of the SG Commandos
a tubescreamer would do great in your situation but so would any good OD pedal. How much gain do you need the pedal to have? sounds like a crunch box may do you wonders
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Well, if you promise not to flame...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_HAAswuj-M

The tone I'm looking for is Billie Joe Armstrong's in this video. I can get the tone from before he kicks on the overdrive just fine, but I can't get my overdrive to sound that clean. I don't need the exact tone, of course. Just something close. Once again, please don't flame.

Im going to have to stick with teh crunch box suggestion, or possibly a sparkle drive
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

The OCD is a bit out of my price range at this point in time. Any other options?

EDIT: I'll check out the Crunch Box

if you like the ocd but want to go cheap, get a v1 danelectro cool cat drive
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I think the Crunch Box is what I'm gonna get. Thanks guys!

Quote by GreenAC/DC123
I've got a bit of a dilemma... I recently got a Peavey Windsor half stack, and with no distortion pedal on, it sounds great. The only problem is that I need a semi-clean sound, which I can achieve on said amp, but I also need the overdrive. Rolling back the guitar volume doesn't give me the clean sound I want while using the amp's gain, so I'd like to keep the amp gain around 3 and use my DS-1 to get distortion. But no matter how low I have the gain on the pedal, the sound is really muddy. I've tried plugging it into the FX loop, messing with the amp's EQ, and pretty much everything else. I can buy a new pedal if necessary, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. But if I absolutely had to, would a Tube Screamer do the job?

This is what you do:

Buy an EQ pedal and cut the level.

OR

1) Buy or build a true bypass loop box.
2) Buy or build a volume pedal or volume box.
3) Put the volume pedal/box in the loop box's loop and stick the loop box in your pedal chain.
4) Turn the volume on the pedal/box way down.
5) Stomp to turn off the loop bypass when you want cleans.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Mitchell?
Or he could just put a bypass switch on the volume pedal.

Instead of modding my own pedal I'll probably just build a bypass looper out of wood, 4 jacks and a DPDT switch, but that's definitely an option for him if he wants.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
True. If he buys a volume pedal, it might be handier to just make a loop box. Not to mention it'd just be handy to have a loop box anyway.

Another pedal I stumbled upon was the Digitech Bad Monkey. I personally like the sound of it, but I know Digitech has a less than perfect reputation around here, so what do you guys think?

Quote by GreenAC/DC123
Another pedal I stumbled upon was the Digitech Bad Monkey. I personally like the sound of it, but I know Digitech has a less than perfect reputation around here, so what do you guys think?

Digitech's bad reputation here comes mainly from idiots who assume all their pedals are digital and that digital always means bad. Well, that and alot of their distortions are kinda fizzy (Grunge pedal, Death Metal pedal, that means you.). The Bad Monkey gets lots of love here.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Ok, it's not too expensive either, so would that be a good choice? Sorry if I seem helpless... I'm new to tube amps. With SS you can plug in a distortion pedal and it sounds fine. Well... mostly.

Yeah, the Bad Monkey is likely a good choice for your needs.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I personally hated the dirt on the Bad Monkey.

I loved the pedal as a boost, but with the gain up to add dirt to a clean amp?

Quote by GreenAC/DC123
Digitech makes a lot of products and anyone who generalizes is not informed. However, given that your problem is muddiness dispite the EQ maybe a BM won't help much. It's mid heavy and you have to crank the treble just to get the highs to match bypass.

Tales abound that the "free" cab that comes with the Windsor isn't very good, so maybe that's a big part of your issue. I can tell you that a very bright OD/Distortion pedal is the Double Muff. So maybe a brighter sounding distortion pedal would help. The drawback of the Double Muff is that it has no level control, so it's difficult to dial in the right gain and balance the level between on and bypass. A Rat is also pretty bright, but has a more classic crunch than an OD sound. Maybe an EQ pedal will open up your sound.