Hello!

Thread title says it all, is it worth (legally, of course :P) getting Guitar Pro 5 when I've already got Power Tab?

Thanks
Get Tux Guitar I'd say. Its better than Power Tab imo, it can play both GP and PT files, and it has most of the features GP5 does (but worse sound quality)
I prefer Guitar Pro...I find the interface easier...(prolly cuz i barely used powertab but eh)

I mean it's only like 20 bucks at best buy, so it's not burning a hole in your pocket or anything...go for it.
I've been a huge Guitar Pro fan for the last few years, so I will say I highly recommend it over anything else. IMO, it's the best tab editor available. And the Realistic Sound Engine sounds so much better than those damn MIDI instruments.
"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
I use it to make MIDI demos of songs for my band, and it actually sounds really good for MIDI.
Quote by brleealbright
I've been a huge Guitar Pro fan for the last few years, so I will say I highly recommend it over anything else. IMO, it's the best tab editor available. And the Realistic Sound Engine sounds so much better than those damn MIDI instruments.

Oh Hell yes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Guitar2theface
Get Tux Guitar I'd say. Its better than Power Tab imo, it can play both GP and PT files, and it has most of the features GP5 does (but worse sound quality)

So can Guitar Pro.

And yes, I've done it.
GP is a damn useful tool. as i am only 14 i just use it to get tabs and i dont wqrite music. if want it for song writing then yes, it is definitely worth it. but if you just want tabs like i do then tux guitar will do the job. but guitar pro is still better.

i even heard some people just torrent it for free or something like that.... im not sure what that means. :P
Quote by wildozer
GP is a damn useful tool. as i am only 14 i just use it to get tabs and i dont wqrite music. if want it for song writing then yes, it is definitely worth it. but if you just want tabs like i do then tux guitar will do the job. but guitar pro is still better.

i even heard some people just torrent it for free or something like that.... im not sure what that means. :P

That's illegal.

And on topic.

Guitar pro is very useful, it has bunch of tools that you can use to improve your playing.
I prefer guitar pro to power tab or tux guitar - I don't use many of the features but its just a much more user friendly interface to write with. Power tab takes forever and I always end up inadvertently deleting stuff with tux guitar.

edit: http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/
Last edited by zhilla at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Go for it, it's a great tool for musicians. Illegal-shmegal, there are ways to get it free if you try to find them. If not go to BestBuy.

And I am sure you would feel the exact same way if you spent your life developing a kick ass application only to find no one is buying it because they are all just stealing it.
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.
Quote by BadAxxe
And I am sure you would feel the exact same way if you spent your life developing a kick ass application only to find no one is buying it because they are all just stealing it.

May as well make the most of it while it's still possible to file share...
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by wildozer

a torent file is a file that somebody hosts from their computer for other people to download. Most torrent files are illegal files that normal download sights like megaupload or rapidshare refuse to host for copyrights and stuff. I have the cracked GP5 and it is sex. havent tried, or needed to try any other tab writing/reading software
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Go with guitar pro it is the best.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Vyper 30