Poll: Which one should I get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one should I get?
Jackson KE3 Kelly
13 43%
LTD EX-401DX
10 33%
LTD M-401/400
7 23%
Voters: 30.
Hello UGers

As the title suggests I need opinions on these guitars.

Jackson KE3 Kelly
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-KE3-Kelly-Electric-Guitar?sku=520327#new

ESP LTD EX-401DX
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EX401DX-Floyd-Rose-Electric-Guitar?sku=520113#new

ESP LTD M-401 (or M-400) $750 at my guitar store
http://espguitars.com/guitars_m.html

I honestly think the Kelly is the sexiest guitar there, but it's bolt-on (and i don't know if that's going to be an issue in the future or not) and the next model up is the KE2 which is a joke since it's 2000 bucks which is way off my budget. :P

I still need to try the Kelly and the EX.
I've tried the M-400 and I loved it.
But I want to do more research before i make a decision.

I play metal, rock, thrash metal, hard rock, classic rock.
I'm playing through a Line 6 Spider III (after the new guitar I'll spend a year making money to put into a new amp, but right now I'm only looking for a guitar)

I know ESP you get tons of features for the money, but the Kelly is sooooo damn sexy.
Last edited by siverstorm at Jul 2, 2009,
i guess its all on what you like. my 3 main guitars are kellys. a ke-3 crimson swirl w/ reverse headstock(dkmg neck), a kelly XLR, and a PS6-t soon to see a neck swap. i dont like the feel of esp necks. too thick for my taste. only you can decide. if you like thin necks go jackson. if you like the esp/schecter feel then go esp.
the esp's and jackson's i've seen have the same size necks, the M-401 has a very thin, flat neck, like 19 or 20mm. that's as thin as jackson necks get
Do you think i'll have any problems with the Kelly's bolt-on neck? I also like the fact that the Kelly comes with the Duncan's which would make it more versatile that the LTD's with EMGs. But i'm still not sure.
It all really depends on if you want reliability.

I ,myself, own an ESP and i wouldnt want any other brand of guitar

they all have solid necks and some jacksons dont

ESP is the way to go for reliabilty, quality and great tones

AS for looking at what these guitars have to offer,

you want ESP

now wether you want a bulky guitar or a sleek guitar is up to you

(I would go M-400)

The neck on the esps are thiner though and better for speed,
Plus EMG's are the best Pickups ever!( IMO)
Last edited by Firering56 at Jul 2, 2009,
I got a kelly3 I love it, no problems what so ever.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
I'm seeing lots of love for the Kelly which is good XD
I just wish all the colours of the KE2 were available for the KE3
I saw silver or white on the jackson website but i can't seem to find pics of them on google so i don't know if it looks good or not...:P

So thanks guys, now i'm torn between the Kelly and the M-400.
Can someone tell me the neck dimensions of the M-400? I'm either a google n00b or it's actually being a pain to find.
imnot exactly sure what the dimensions of the M-400 neck is, its probably 16 or 18 mm but i wouldnt know
Quote by Firering56
imnot exactly sure what the dimensions of the M-400 neck is, its probably 16 or 18 mm but i wouldnt know

Dude, if you dont know, just shut up. Your previous post was filled with fail too.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
what did he say that was wrong?
all? most? i mean i did see a contradictory here someone said esp necks were thinner and then someone else said jackson was thinner.
I'll tell you why his post failed so badly:
Quote by Firering56
It all really depends on if you want reliability.

I ,myself, own an ESP and i wouldnt want any other brand of guitar

they all have solid necks and some jacksons dont

ESP is the way to go for reliabilty, quality and great tones

AS for looking at what these guitars have to offer,

you want ESP

now wether you want a bulky guitar or a sleek guitar is up to you

(I would go M-400)

The neck on the esps are thiner though and better for speed,
Plus EMG's are the best Pickups ever!( IMO)

I have seen LTD's with pretty ****ed up warped necks. Not saying that you wont see that with some Jacksons, but claiming that LTD's have more solid QC then Jackson is big BS. MIJ guitars are in fact very well made instruments, what you cant always say about MIK instruments (like LTD)

Pure fanboy talk, and also: see my point about Japanese and korean made guitars above.

You dont know that
False, most people find Jackson necks faster then LTD necks. They are also thinner.
If you really think EMG's are the best pickups ever, you havent tried alot of pickups (IMO)
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Jul 2, 2009,
I just found out that the KE3 that's being sold at the store I'm actually shopping at doesn't have the same specs as the one on musician's friend.
It has Duncan Designed pups not real Duncans.
And it doesn't say licensed floyd rose anywhere

http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=202_207_263&products_id=5045

Now i'm scared, is it still worth it at that price?
Dont buy it. Its the old model. Its worth like 500$ max.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Thanks again.

Well I still have until December before I actually go and BUY one maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have the new model for a normal price.

Would it be a good idea to buy it off of musician's friend? I would still like to try it though before I buy it. I'm not so big on purchasing online, but I would totally do it for that guitar if I like it.
Quote by siverstorm
Thanks again.

Well I still have until December before I actually go and BUY one maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have the new model for a normal price.

Would it be a good idea to buy it off of musician's friend? I would still like to try it though before I buy it. I'm not so big on purchasing online, but I would totally do it for that guitar if I like it.

if you look on jacksons website, they just came out with a ke5, which wont be bolt on, but will probably be around 1300?? but thats what i am most likely gonna get. its not out yet tho, will be by december i'd imagine
ehhh lmao 1300 is a little higher up :P but thats a good idea I just hope its not as bad as the KE2 with the OFR for like 2000.

I came to a conclusion that if I can't save up enough money for a trip i MAY go on for March Break. Then all the money i did manage to save goes into this guitar. However I refuse to just buy the guitar off musician's friend without trying it....no matter how tempting it looks :P
Quote by Jacksons Rock!!
get The Jackson!!!

DUDE

Quote by archenemyfan
WAY TO GO BUMPING A YEAR OLD THREAD!!!!!!

What this guy said.