Why/how/when did early humans decide to like and more importantly, create music?

I don't understand what makes the human brain enjoy what we call "good" music. Don't take me wrong, I love a facemelting solo as next as the next person, but what makes me like the way it sounds? Can someone enlighten me?
It is an expression of emotion. human beings are emotional creatures and therefore the emotions of others affect us profoundly. Hearing music is the same as hearing someone talk to you and tell you things directly.
you do realize this is the pit right?
This shit is Pie.
Black Metal Pie.
It talks about winter.
Join if you like, or kindly leave.
Or else you die.

i like shooping
shoop da wooping
and chargin mah lazorz
not necessarily in that order
music evolved from storytelling, the original source of entertainment from the beginning of time. once music fully developed, it was so multi-faceted that everybody on earth enjoys some form of it. it's ultimately the one constant in society and the one thing every culture has in common: music.
the game
feels good, man.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I read an article in The Economist and they said it was to attract a mate.
Yeah, we all play guitar to get some...
Not everyone likes music. There's a disorder called Amusia where basically people can't process differences in pitch, rhythm, et cetera. These people find no enjoyment from it
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Quote by EMGs_rule
Quote by jgbsmith
why would you want to put the bitrate down?
to make it smaller without hearing any change in quality that the human ear can detect?
Does not compute for the audiophile

Follow me on Twitter...or else!
i like music because it says more than any language.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by kook as kashmir
Not everyone likes music. There's a disorder called Amusia where basically people can't process differences in pitch, rhythm, et cetera. These people find no enjoyment from it

That's sad.

Also no music means there would be no UG = no pit (not the worst thing though)
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Drugs.

the most ancient of cave-people were on mushrooms... and just about everything else.

just like today!

even if youre a sXe kid youve got drugs in your genes... and ive got a few in my jeans :P (i had to)
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Because Herman Li is so awesome!
:|

nah. in seriousness we all love music as it is an intrest to us. like some people like physical entertainment like sports. and fapping...

some people like the mental way of entertainment like music. and mind shizzle
but obviously people love both types. but im more of a music guy
Originally Posted by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

I don't think you guys get what the OP is asking.

If i understand correctly, you want to know what makes certain musical patterns evoke certain emotions over others, and why these seem to be consistent with most creatures?

Good ****ing question. I don't think anyone can truly answer that. In fact, I asked that myself not too long ago and no one could give me a good answer.
the same reason, we like to view visual art, and eat food that tastes good, and touch stuff, that doesn't feel nasty.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Archaon
I don't think you guys get what the OP is asking.

If i understand correctly, you want to know what makes certain musical patterns evoke certain emotions over others, and why these seem to be consistent with most creatures?

Good ****ing question. I don't think anyone can truly answer that. In fact, I asked that myself not too long ago and no one could give me a good answer.

This man knows his shit.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
This man knows his shit.

I commend you for asking a good question.
Well if you read "This Is Your Brain On Music", the author suggests that we innately enjoy music perhaps because it was part of an aspect of our evolution. Music could have been used as an attraction for mating because it signified that you have advanced beyond the usual food-and-resource scavenging and you have time to devote to something that's purely aesthetic. It could have also been used as a form of social bonding. In time, it became pathologically built into our brains to enjoy music. Studies have also shown that babies are more attracted to tonal music than noise or atonal music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well if you read "This Is Your Brain On Music", the author suggests that we innately enjoy music perhaps because it was part of an aspect of our evolution. Music could have been used as an attraction for mating because it signified that you have advanced beyond the usual food-and-resource scavenging and you have time to devote to something that's purely aesthetic. It could have also been used as a form of social bonding. In time, it became pathologically built into our brains to enjoy music. Studies have also shown that babies are more attracted to tonal music than noise or atonal music.

But why is it that certain patterns tend to evoke certain emotions over others, and why is it consistent for most creatures? If I'm not mistaken, sad music is understood as sad music almost universally by most creatures.
not trying to thread jack, but related to this why do you think, people have diffrent tastes in music, eg: i like blues, bob likes rock, jimmy likes country, and nigel liks Hip-hop...
same as art, ex. i can't stand abstract art but ove landscapes, and others like still lifes, ect.
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Archaon
But why is it that certain patterns tend to evoke certain emotions over others, and why is it consistent for most creatures? If I'm not mistaken, sad music is understood as sad music almost universally by most creatures.

Well, the direction and manners in which notes move have obvious, almost visual effects, which we can understand easily.

Why we understand them so easily is probably due to our innate ability to process music.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
not trying to thread jack, but related to this why do you think, people have diffrent tastes in music, eg: i like blues, bob likes rock, jimmy likes country, and nigel liks Hip-hop...
same as art, ex. i can't stand abstract art but ove landscapes, and others like still lifes, ect.

Because everyone is different.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, the direction and manners in which notes move have obvious, almost visual effects, which we can understand easily.

Why we understand them so easily is probably due to our innate ability to process music.

but music is really just noise.
mabeye we relate music-noise to life-noise heard out side of music, like laughing, crying, animals and so on?nand thats how we get a "feel"

EDIT:and i know we are all different but at one point all the music we could get without going to some other country was all the same or similar, and we were very content with it...
not complaining but pointing out, music taste used to be based on where you lived and wat you had acess to, is it possible that these type of things still influnce us now?
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
but music is really just noise.
mabeye we relate music-noise to life-noise heard out side of music, like laughing, crying, animals and so on?nand thats how we get a "feel"

Music is different from general noise because it is consciously organized by us, so it's almost like a language. It is true that we relate the sounds in music to physical life, and classical masters especially excel at imitating life with music. However, music itself as a language, also expresses by itself emotions and movements.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

Yeah, but that still doesn't understand the question. It's just deferring it to another point. Why do certain frequencies (or rather patterns of certain frequencies) carry certain connotations with them?

The 'visual translation' is good, but only explains so much. I've tried to take it a step further with the following:

Anyone that's ever had the chills roll down their spine during a song can relate. Now, apparently those 'chills' are correlated with the feelings you get from (strong) memories. So, yes, music can draw out visualizations or non-visual sensations of those good or bad memories, but it still doesn't explain the very core aspect of it all. Of course, the chills don't just come from songs. Anything can trigger them. Art certainly helps though.

It's almost like a magical ritual, isn't it? Using music to experience those chills. The more experienced persons can evoke that feeling without the aid of music, only looking within themselves. Like myself, but only sometimes. I guess you have to be a higher level wizard for that.
Last edited by Archaon at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by Archaon
Yeah, but that still doesn't understand the question. It's just deferring it to another point. Why do certain frequencies (or rather patterns of certain frequencies) carry certain connotations with them?

Frequencies? I can't say I fully agree that we naturally make specific assumptions about certain frequencies.

An isolated A4 to me is as meaningless as an isolated B6.

I assume this is what you mean by frequencies...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Frequencies? I can't say I fully agree that we naturally make specific assumptions about certain frequencies.

An isolated A4 to me is as meaningless as an isolated B6.

I assume this is what you mean by frequencies...

Yes, absolutely, which is why I said 'or rather, patterns of certain frequencies'

An isolated note is useless. There needs to be context. Isn't that what life's all about?
Quote by Archaon
Yes, absolutely, which is why I said 'or rather, patterns of certain frequencies'

An isolated note is useless. There needs to be context. Isn't that what life's all about?

But with patterns and phrases, then I have to refer to my previous claim that the direction and manner that the notes move in provides almost visual context for us, which is why we perceive them to be of specific impressions.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
But with patterns and phrases, then I have to refer to my previous claim that the direction and manner that the notes move in provides almost visual context for us, which is why we perceive them to be of specific impressions.

Yes, but where does this context come from? How did we, as a collective of conscious beings, arrive to this?
Quote by Archaon
Yes, but where does this context come from? How did we, as a collective of conscious beings, arrive to this?

That I can't systematically tell you. I'm no neurologist.

But like I said...it must be partly genetic and inherent in our processing capabilities and that's why we universally perceive some things the same.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
That I can't systematically tell you. I'm no neurologist.

But like I said...it must be partly genetic and inherent in our processing capabilities and that's why we universally perceive some things the same.

Word. All we need to do now is wait for a neurologist to join UG.

...****
http://a0.vox.com/6a00c11413d7d0819d00fae8d7c728000b-500pi

edit: the guy who wrote it was in a band, worked in a studio, and then went to college and got a degree in neurology.
Gear:

Gibson SG
Epiphone LP
"Apocalypses Guitar"
70's Silverface Bassman Amp
Russian Bigmuff
Digitech Deathmetal Pedal
Digitech Badmonkey Pedal
Boss Tuner
Last edited by rossj90 at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi

I knew that me playing guitar/listening to the same music as girls I find attractive was for a reason. Now to free up more time for aesthetics... oh wait I have nothing but time