Sorry if this is in the wrong area (please move if so), but i'm currently looking for feedback for some solutions i've researched for amplifying vocals during band practice and for live venues. The options i've read about so far are as follows (NB we already have a relatively good quality mic):

1) Plug the mic straight into a keyboard/acoustic amp. Simple solution, but pretty expensive (a 65 watt roland keyboard/PA amp costs like $800AU new here). Plus probably will only be used for band practice.

2) Mic -> "TITAN MIXER AMP 300WATT PEAK POWER AMPLIFIER" (something my friend's been looking at on ebay - here) -> Speaker enclosure (which we'll have to buy). Apparently the mixer has 6 channels. This probably will be cheaper than solution 1, my friend can get this mixer/power amplifier for $249AU and we can buy a 200w monitor for $250AU.

i'm leaning towards solution 2, but is that possible for vocals? the extra channels means we can plug in acoustic instruments, backup singers and stuff i guess.

edit: This is just for band practice at the moment, but we're looking to play gigs within a few months and want to plan for the future. Also, bass rig is 100w or 300w, guitar amps i think are 30w tube and 50w tube. Basic acoustic drumkit as well.
Last edited by goony at Jul 2, 2009,
i vote for solution 2. I think it will be bettwer because of the extra stuff you get. just make shure to use speaker cables to connect the spakers to the mixer.
also, check local pawn shops. they have a lot of working stuff at excelent prices. you can find another mixer or a speaker enclosure there.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Thanks mate, apparently the mixer comes with onboard effects like echo, reverb, chorus and stuff as well.

Re: speaker cables, aren't they similar to instrument cables? I thought the 2 were mostly interchangable?
Quote by goony
Thanks mate, apparently the mixer comes with onboard effects like echo, reverb, chorus and stuff as well.

Re: speaker cables, aren't they similar to instrument cables? I thought the 2 were mostly interchangable?

they aren't google something about it. you can f*ck your sh*t if you use instrument cables. they are different. I gotta take a shower, so i'll just leave a link to a forum where they talk about it.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1589716
you could search on UG too, but i haven't found a thread that clears some stuff like on the one i posted. they even tell you about active speakers and such. if you hacve any other question on cables, make anothe thread, because the question is now in another different thing than whats on your thread title.

also, this thread (and if you make one about the cables) should go on guitar guear and accesories, i'm pretty shure of it.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jul 2, 2009,
You could just buy one of those cheap Peavey PA systems. You get a 4 channel mixer and 2 powered (built in amps) speakers.
***Short Sig***
option 2 is definitely your best bet, though at $250 you're going to be coming in right at the budget end (i have never heard of Titan and they don't even seem to have a website), which for band practices etc. is a fine place to be. The onboard effects are more of a gimmic than anything else though, i wouldn't be expecting you to use them all that much. By the time you get to gig sizes where the lack of sound quality in this system is noticeable the venue should be packing their own kit.

Definitely use speaker cable not instrument cable, it annoys me that they use the same jack size as it can get confusing.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Thanks for your help guys, yeah okay i think we will go for that option then. Haha i should've figured about the cable sizes though, i work with transmission line design as a day job. Shame on me.