Hi. I'm new here at the forum.
So I got a Marshall 6100LM head and I need some advices about cabs.

I have a list of second handed cabs here near my town:
Marshall 1960, 4x12 - 250€
Engl Standard, 4x12 - 300€

What do you think that is the best, keeping in mind the relation between price and sound quality?

Oh and btw do you think that a Digitech Whammy IV for 150€ is a good deal?

Thanks!
Last edited by metalwolf9 at Jul 5, 2009,
Did I broke any rule?
Because no one is replying...
Cmon guys I have just a crappy spider III to play!
They are all pretty decent but the peavy really isnt that good.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Is the 1960 loaded with gt12-75s or vintage 30s? I find that the 1960 with vintage 30s is a very good cab, and that the ones loaded with gt12-75 are average. Dont know about the other ones though.
That's what I thought so...What it might be better for grunge/metal/metalcore and beyond?
Sorry, I don't know much about cabinets...

EDIT: slashfan31, I going to ask the seller.
Ok...the marshall cab got gt12-75s.
Something tells me that I should go for the Engl cabinet.
Quote by Silenced7

eh genuine question since i don't have too much clues about pricing and **** but was going to recommend a 2 x 12 if it came under the budget. anyway what was wrong with my question?
Quote by Silenced7

I'm not sure how that deserves a facepalm. A Mills or Splawn 2x12 would be more than sufficient.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I'm not sure how that deserves a facepalm. A Mills or Splawn 2x12 would be more than sufficient.

Notice how his pricing is in Euros...please also notice that hes looking used. I have never seen a used Mills Cab on the market, and the only Splawn ones I ever see are scams.

Also, please don't question the OP's motives. He obviously wants a 4x12, and so we should make suggestions as such.

The original facepalm was in regards to asking whether the OP needed a 4x12. The original post said "Here is a list of 4x12's available to me, which do you think is the best bang for my buck" and not "I want to buy a 4x12, please try and convince me to buy a 2x12"
Last edited by Silenced7 at Jul 5, 2009,
I'd go for the Engl or H&K.

Engl doesn't make a "Blackmore cab." It's either a Standard 4x12 or a Pro 4x12. Find out which one it is and what speakers it has. The Pro would be the best cab out of all of those, if that's what it ends up being.

The H&K has custom-made speakers, I've heard they're similar to V30s and Greenbacks mixed together. I run my 6100 through a Framus 4x12 cab and it sounds awesome, I prefer it with the Greenbacks in that cab over the V30s in my Mesa cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Silenced7
Notice how his pricing is in Euros...please also notice that hes looking used. I have never seen a used Mills Cab on the market, and the only Splawn ones I ever see are scams.

Also, please don't question the OP's motives. He obviously wants a 4x12, and so we should make suggestions as such.

The original facepalm was in regards to asking whether the OP needed a 4x12. The original post said "Here is a list of 4x12's available to me, which do you think is the best bang for my buck" and not "I want to buy a 4x12, please try and convince me to buy a 2x12"

That in no way means a 2x12 should be kept completely out as an option in this brainstorm here. You made a stupid post, deal with it.

Anyways, to TS, any of the cabs except the 5150 will be fairly even in abilities so really you should try them yourself and compare. That should let you narrow the choice down sufficiently.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 5, 2009,
Hmm...about the 2x12 cabs, the thing is I already made up my mind in buying a 4x12 because I don't wanna buy 2 cabinets, only 1 (at least for now...)!
I'm in Europe, so american cabs are out of choice...

@ MatrixClaw: I going to ask the seller. EDIT: it's the standard.

I forgot to say. these cabs I listed earlier were part of a site similar to craiglist, so I could really negociate with the sellers.
Quote by metalwolf9
Hmm...about the 2x12 cabs, the thing is I already made up my mind in buying a 4x12 because I don't wanna buy 2 cabinets, only 1 (at least for now...)!
I'm in Europe, so american cabs are out of choice...

Why would you be needing to buy 2 cabinets if you go 2x12?
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Silenced7
Quote by Silenced7

Pompous ass, much?

There is NOTHING wrong with asking TS if he really needs a 4x12.
He should be considering all options, if he hasn't already.
If he decides he wants a 4x12 at the end of the discussion, so be it.

Quote by metalwolf9
Hi. I'm new here at the forum.
So I got a Marshall 6100LM head and I need some advices about cabs.

I have a list of second handed cabs here near my town:
Peavey 5150 (4x12), 300 Watts - 300€
Marshall 1960, 4x12 - 250€
Engl ritchie blackmore (I don't know if the name is correct), 4x12 - 300€
Hughes & Kettner, 4x12, 240W, Celestions G12F 60 - 220€

What do you think that is the best, keeping in mind the relation between price and sound quality?

Oh and btw do you think that a Digitech Whammy IV for 150€ is a good deal?

Thanks!
Depending on what speakers the 1960 is loaded with, that seems a pretty good deal.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by metalwolf9
@ MatrixClaw: I going to ask the seller. EDIT: it's the standard.

I forgot to say. these cabs I listed earlier were part of a site similar to craiglist, so I could really negociate with the sellers.

I'd probably go with the H&K then

The V60 speakers in the Standards have never really impressed me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Marshall's have GT12-75s speakers...

@James13v: If I bought now a 2x12, I would have to buy another cab for bigger gigs later. If I buy a 4x12 now I will saver more money. And it seems that used 4x12 in that craiglist-like site are cheaper than 2x12. Plus, the size will stun people
Quote by metalwolf9

@James13v: If I bought now a 2x12, I would have to buy another cab for bigger gigs later. If I buy a 4x12 now I will saver more money. And it seems that used 4x12 in that craiglist-like site are cheaper than 2x12. Plus, the size will stun people

According to who?

Adding more speakers does not give you more volume.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by metalwolf9

A 2x12 will cover anything a 4x12 will, if your playing a gig that any 2x12 can't handle due to the venue being that huge, I guarantee you that the venue will have a PA system. You can just stick a microphone in front of the amp and run through the PA. I would personally take the portability of a 2x12 over the "stunning" looks of a 4x12 anyday (just so you know, the only reason I have a 4x12 is because it was going damn cheap and it sounds sweet with my amp).

If the craiglist 4x12's are cheaper and that's where your buying from then go 4x12 tho.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd go for the Engl or H&K.

Engl doesn't make a "Blackmore cab." It's either a Standard 4x12 or a Pro 4x12. Find out which one it is and what speakers it has. The Pro would be the best cab out of all of those, if that's what it ends up being.

The H&K has custom-made speakers,

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Damn, the H&K cab has been sold!
Only the marshall and the engl cabs are left.
I think the ENGL and Marshall cabs you listed will sound close to the same since both the T75's and the V60's have relaxed, almost scooped mids. I believe the lows will be bigger with the T75's and the highs will also be brighter.
I found the V60 ENGL cab to not have enough bite because the highs were a little too smooth and I found the lows weren't that deep.
In the end, Marshall cabs are a dime a dozen, so go with the ENGL, it's a good cab that looks a bit more unique. I think it will work well with your amps voicing.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Hmmm...so Engl will be a good add to the rig to get that modern metal sound? I'm doubting, but I thought I would better ask.

Anyway I discovered that same Hughes & Kettner model cab for 300€ and it comes with a Black Series head.
I don't want to buy anything that I will regret it later, like my spider III 'cause it sucks.
Last edited by metalwolf9 at Jul 6, 2009,
if it's the pro one (the one with the vintage 30s), the engl cab will be very metal indeed. It's a really tight-sounding cab- almost to a fault.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
And Laneys? Are they good for metal? I found one for 300€...I going to decide in the end of this week!

- GS412IA model
- 320 watts RMS
- 4ohm, 8ohm (stereo) and 16ohm
- Speakers HH
Last edited by metalwolf9 at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
According to who?

Adding more speakers does not give you more volume.

Indeed.

I gig with 2x12s.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Ok...So now it is really down to this:
Marshall 1960 Gt 12-75t 4x12, average condition --> 300€
Engl standard 4x12 --> 300€
Line 6 Spider (maybe) 4x12 --> 200€
Hughes & Kettner Vortex Black Series (head and cab) 4x12 --> 350€
FRAMUS FR212 2x12 --> 300€

My head is a Marshall 6100LM but maybe I will buy another later or just a better combo; I want the better quality cab, either 2x12 4x12. I play mostly metal, more modern than the oldies, I would like to have a cab that would help me have a great thrash, metalcore sound, with nice pinch and natural harmonics; All that remains, dethklok (I know it is 1 man band), shadows fall, lamb of god, pantera kind of tone. I like it bassy.

Oh and please I need help urgently because I need to buy it 'til the end of the week! I won't bore you anymore with this crap after some opinions!
The best sounding cab out of those would be the Framus 2x12.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
EDIT: Ok, between a mesa boogie rectifier 2x12 for 599€, a FRAMUS FR212 2x12 for 300€ and a 2x12 ENGL PRO with vintage 30 for 375€ which is the best for metal?
I need a quick answer, so please reply fast. It's the final match!

PS: I think now I'm more turned to 2x12 cabs lol
Last edited by metalwolf9 at Jul 15, 2009,
if you're sure it's the engl pro one with v30s, it's pretty good, and sufficiently cheaper than the mesa one to probably be worth it for the saving. I haven't tried the framus, though.

could be wrong, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go with either the Framus or Engl. Mesa are a ripoff in Europe and not worth the price at all.

The Framus has the same speakers as the Engl. The major difference is that the Engls seem to be built a bit better (the tolex on Framus stuff is REALLY thin), but neither one is going to fall apart on you. They will sound, generally the same, a little difference between each based on dimensions and how it was constructed.

In the end, it's up to you to decide if the Engl is worth 75€ more to you.

However, I'm kinda confused on where you're getting these prices from... because you can buy the Framus cab brand new for 275€:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_fr212_cb.htm
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
However, I'm kinda confused on where you're getting these prices from... because you can buy the Framus cab brand new for 275€:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_fr212_cb.htm

Yep the Framus I was refering was new. And the store I was looking are really bastards. I forgot to say it
So, if I would want to negociate the price of the mesa, how much should I offer? 100€ less? It is as new, condition speaking.
Last edited by metalwolf9 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by metalwolf9
Yep the Framus I was refering was new. And the store I was looking are really bastards. I forgot to say it
So, if I would want to negociate the price of the mesa, how much should I offer? 100€ less? It is as new, condition speaking.

I wouldn't even bother, the Engl and Framus are just as good for a lot less.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by metalwolf9
EDIT: Ok, between a mesa boogie rectifier 2x12 for 599€, a FRAMUS FR212 2x12 for 300€ and a 2x12 ENGL PRO with vintage 30 for 375€ which is the best for metal?
I need a quick answer, so please reply fast. It's the final match!

PS: I think now I'm more turned to 2x12 cabs lol

i was originally going to recommend the Framus straight off the bat but some 'tard decided to face palm my question. anyway it's a really well built cab (thin tolex though) and sounds amazing so it's worth the money for sure.