Shown below, as taken from Brad Larsen's tabbed version of Orion by Metallica, are some bends, and im not sure how to play em. In the first case, (15b17) would you bend on 15? or just play 15 and bend 17? And then with the 15r, it means return bend but do you have to silently bend it, in order to return bend it? Im pretty confused.

|----------------------------------------------------12-|
|-15b17==15-15r-15b17==15-15r-15b17---15----|
|--------------------------------------------------------|
You have to whammy without a whammy bar
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
From my knowledge... it'd be to bend 15 then play 17...?

私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
Pick the 15th fret then bend up a full step, effectively making it the same note as the 17th fret. Return just means that you release the bend back down to the 15th fret. You only pick once for that entire bending sequence.

EDIT: That's how Guitar Pro's ASCII exports work, anyways, and it makes the most sense.
15b17 means bend 15 so that it sounds like 17. And then just play the 15, mute the string and return bend it.

Build up finger strength. it's hard to explain how to do the return bend. It's supposed to come naturally.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by ilikeguitar90
You have to whammy without a whammy bar

Best first reply to a thread relating to bending.
Play 15 while bending to the pitch of 17

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave
I dont wanna die, Im a god, why cant I live on?
When the life giver dies, all around is laid to waste.
And in my last hour,
Im a slave to the power of death

Member Of The Jagermeister Fan Club
Don't try and bend the string, that's impossible. Instead only try to realise the truth, that there is no string. Then you will see that it is not the string that bends, it is only yourself.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Quote by COBGage
Don't try and bend the string, that's impossible. Instead only try to realise the truth, that there is no string. Then you will see that it is not the string that bends, it is only yourself.

Very typical.....
E-Married to Eddie4President

ARMENIAN

Quote by VANGELIS!
Ya, my mom walked in on me taking a **** into my coffee mug when I was 23. There was a spider in the bathroom and I was too scared to go in

Quote by angusfan16
I'll join. I have a vagina.
15b17 means to bend the D to an E and then I'm guessing the == is to hold it and not let it go back to a D till the r(release).

The only fret you play is the 15 on the b string and the 12 on the e of course.
You are being mislead young padawan- the strings are merely an extension of your own life force or chi. Bending them can cause disturbances in your aural radiance and even cause cell and tissue damage. The bending will happen naturally when your mind is open and your heart is free.
Quote by xMetalGodx
I'm not quite sure if you were trying to be funny or if you have a learning disability, either way, I was not amused.

He is not amused.
Quote by abdulalhazred
you are the best 09er EVER! i am sending you a friend request as soon as i send this

Quote by Pernicano22
Play 15 while bending to the pitch of 17

This.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
basically bend 15 till its one step up (sounds like 17) then release the bend at the r
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"