I just wanted to get an opinion on this. I want to try to learn to play all of System of a Down's Toxicity album by the end of the summer. (I've been playing for like a year, but I still kinda have trouble with playing entire songs quickly/cohesively)

Do you guys think this is feasible? (considering a lot of the riffs are pretty similar)
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Practising 10 minutes a day, doubtful. Are you planning on more than 10 minutes a day?
What if I can set aside about half an hour a day?
Quote by Trowzaa
Quote by vartanspartan
What if I can set aside about half an hour a day?

If you want to be able to play a whole album well then I think you'll want to set aside at least an hour, SOAD is by no means the most complex music in the world but for a relative beginner it could present some problems.

It's definitely a realistic goal as long as you put in enough work.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Just give it a go and see how you get on. The higher standards you set yourself with your playing the higher standard you playing will be.
I'm kinda in the middle of a similar goal, but with David Bowie Ziggy Stardust album. I realized that the 30 mins per day wouldn't be enough so I started to play the songs for about 1 hour a day. Now I'm on the road of getting it done. I think that you should try making an hour per day, if you finished before the summer is over, start with "steal this album"
It's hard to say whether it's achievable by the end of summer, without knowing where you are at as a guitarist. If your fundamentals need to come up in order to handle the material, then it will be hard. If your fundamentals are solid enough already, and it's just a matter of learning the songs, then it's pretty achievable, though you probably need to practice more than 10-30 mins a day.

The other thing - unless you really, really want to be able to play the whole album, this is probably not the best idea if your goal is to do this in order to improve your playing. Every guitarist has a bunch of favorite ideas that they use over and over in different forms on many different songs. So once you get a handle on one song, you learn less from learning subsequent songs by the same artist. You will do more for developing your style and skills by learning 8 or 10 songs by different artists rather than a whole album by the same artist.
Quote by se012101
So once you get a handle on one song, you learn less from learning subsequent songs by the same artist. You will do more for developing your style and skills by learning 8 or 10 songs by different artists rather than a whole album by the same artist.

Well, there's a few reasons. I like System of a Down, for one thing. Also, a lot of the songs are indeed very similar, which is why I want to learn all of them cause I suppose once I get the hang of a song or 2, I should get the others relatively quickly. And lastly, I'm leaving my guitar in Drop C for the rest of the summer.

Ok, well I'm going for it.. Gonna try to shoot for 30-60 min. of practice a day. Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm gonna put my progress in my sig for anyone who gives a sh*t, lol.
Quote by Trowzaa