Page 1 of 2
I was curious if there is a piece of gear that does this. Basically a pedal that rocks back and fourth like a volume swell or a whammy or wah pedal. Its function would be to add distortion though. So basically when the pedal is all the way down, it is your regular signal, then as you move it foward it slowly and lightly distorts and then all the way foward would be a heavy distortion. And I guess maybe on the side could be a knob that adjusts the sweep of the distortion. I just thought it wold be cool to have something so I could strike a chord and my volume wouldnt change but i could slowly just distort it for a cool intro or something.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I haven't heard of such a pedal, but you could probably build it pretty easily. You could wire a foot pedal to the gain knob on your amp. It'd be complex, as you'd need compression to make sure the non-distorted sound was loud enough, but it could be done.
Yeah, I've seen this somewhere. Not sure if it is a stand alone unit or part of a multi-effects pedal.
that would be pretty cool idk it probly doesnt exist
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
yeah, it'd be cool to have a distortion expression pedal , the wah would be useful too, nice idea man, built it and i'll buy it xD

cheers!!
Keep It Heavy!!
There are modded tubescreamers and dirt boxes that have a jack for an expression pedal added to them to control the Gain/Drive.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Some amps have it, the first Mesa Mark II did this if I remember correctly... you put a passive volume pedal in the loop and rock it forward, it would add gain.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
ik on my digitech rp250 that i use to have, i could set any parameter to the expression pedal, including distortion. it wouldve been awesome if it didnt sound ****ty

idk if theres anything worth while that could do it though
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Yes, it's called the volume knob on your guitar.

When you turn it down, it turns the pickup output down, thus lowering your distortion...
cool idea but if you want that, to me it would make more sense to just get a distorion pedal. Unless it is build so it sends a clean signal when it's all the way back, then say, half way it adds a sort of vintage tone and feel, then all the way it gives more of that 6505 fizz and chug. Like presets in a way.

Very similar to your idea though lol

also, it would be cool to make these with a 12ax7 in them.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
There's also that pedal that adds distortion as your picking dynamics change.
Quote by natel0083
There's also that pedal that adds distortion as your picking dynamics change.

awesome, link?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
awesome, link?

Sounds similar to auto-wahs, but with distortion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^ You mean envelope filter - an autowah is time based.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
^ You mean envelope filter - an autowah is time based.

Whatever. On all two modelers I've ever played on that have had it, it's been called auto-wah.

My bridge pickup ****ed up somehow, longstory short, when I turn down tone, it only cleans it up. With tone off fully, I get a clean sound while retaining all highs.

I love it, except my pickup sounds like ****. If anyone knows what this is, could they please tell me how to do the same to another guitar?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Most multi-fx have this function built into them.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Hell_Metalist
Yes, it's called the volume knob on your guitar.

When you turn it down, it turns the pickup output down, thus lowering your distortion...

I knew somebody would say this. I know the volume knob is useful for adjusting your gain on the go, but frankly I've found that as the knob gets turned down too low, the tone just sounds like crap (could be my amp maybe, probably not my guitars fault though), not to mention, it adjusts the volume. I don't want the volume to change, just the gain. But I should have said that I didn't mean the volume pot.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Thanks for the responses. I was just curious whether this sorta thing existed and you guys gave me a lot of solid reponses.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Invent this and you will be cooler than Sin. Not to mention the money!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Watterboy
I knew somebody would say this. I know the volume knob is useful for adjusting your gain on the go, but frankly I've found that as the knob gets turned down too low, the tone just sounds like crap (could be my amp maybe, probably not my guitars fault though), not to mention, it adjusts the volume. I don't want the volume to change, just the gain. But I should have said that I didn't mean the volume pot.

Actually, if you're playing a tube amp and you're in pushed power tube territory, you can to some extent use the volume knob to vary your gain. Once your power tubes are pushed, adding more volume only adds more gain and does not affect your volume very much.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
If you just use the gain channel of your amp and a decent volume pedal you can do this. I'm not sure why you would need a special distortion pedal. And the only reason it changes tone when you roll your guitar volume down is because you haven't updated the wiring to get rid of the rolloff.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Watterboy

You need a (different) treble bleed cap on your volume pot. But you could do all that with a volume control.
A volume pedal would work, as it changes the level. More level = more grit, assuming you're not using disgusting amounts of preamp fizz....
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Use the search bar, there was another thread exactly the same as this a while ago.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Last edited by demitriv at Jul 3, 2009,
the 3rd hand expression can bu used to control gain
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Build one, should be interesting and I'm sure you could do it cheaper than that one up there
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

i think nobels do a distortion pedal that you can connect an external expression pedal to which allows you to control the gain with your foot. my nobels clean boost has an expression pedal input, which could be set up to effectively do a similar thing.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by nightraven
^ those things are very flimsy and breakable

They are also volume-like pedals that control gain like the TS asked about. They do exist and I proved it. Plus, I highly doubt anyone here has played on because they are hard to find, even on the internet. If someone did use one before, they would have said something about it.
For what the OP wants to achieve i.e.
Quote by Watterboy
I just thought it wold be cool to have something so I could strike a chord and my volume wouldnt change but i could slowly just distort it for a cool intro or something.

I can't see this working as the struck chord would lose volume before the distortion makes any headway. I don't even think compression/sustain would help this either.
Quote by nightraven
^ my idea about using a blend box with expression pedal control would keep everything at unity level and retain the high frequencies. nobody liked it though

i like it!!!!!
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by nightraven
^ my idea about using a blend box with expression pedal control would keep everything at unity level and retain the high frequencies. nobody liked it though

i like that idea. it's something i've been wanting to try out myself for a while
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Page 1 of 2