So I've recently had the chance to build two rigs, from the ground up. I've got a 3,000 budget total (meaning around 1,500 each).

I've decided on trying to get replicas of tones I LOVE.

First would be Chuck S. from Death. Specifically, the symbolic album. List amp, pedals, etc I might need. My 5150 does it okay, but it's not as dead-on as I would like.

Second rig would be a Passion and Warfare/Steve Vai flavoured tone. I'm sure just a dual rect or maybe a marshall dsl and a wah will cover this but anyone that might have something specific to suggest, please do so.

Well, GGaA, consider this your advice giving christmas. Make choosing my dream rig a bit easier on me. ;P
1. Marshall VS8100h

2. Carvin Legacy
Modded Ts-9
Modded Ds-1
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by WSR66
1. Marshall VS8100h

Figured this would be mentioned as it was Chuck's amp. What about pedalboard, etc?
I found this on a an interview:

Let's talk about your equipment?

Well, I really have a simple set up. I've been playing the B.C.Rich Stealth for years now. I have three of them, one is a custom black one that is my main stage guitar, one is an emerald green that is really beautiful, and an old one that I recently stripped down. They all have a fixed bridge and one Dimarzio X2N pickup which is a key to my sound. My amp is a Marshall Valvestate head and cabinet, that's about it. I don't use effects except for a little chorus on my leads, I really like a basic setup.

http://www.emptywords.org/Pit06-99.htm

also, from vai's own web page
http://www.vai.com/Machines/livegear_firegarden.html
on a part it says that "no photos of the live rig more recent than this one exist yet.". and the pics are from 1996.

and from wikipediaás article on pasion and warfare.

:The song Blue Powder was recorded using Carvins X-100B amplifier. Steve was introduced to Carvin Amplification by his mentor Frank Zappa who used the X-100B. (the drum performance was subsequently re-recorded for the album). [2][3]

The gear used to record this album was: Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars, Charvel Greenie Meanie, Marshall JCM900 amplifiers, Carvin X-100B amplifier, Boss DS-1 pedals, ADA-MP-1 preamp, Eventide H3000 harmonizer, Lexicon etc.

you can get the X-100B, the JCM, the ADA and all other stuff really cheap rom ebay. And the DS-1 was modded. Also, i think he also used a TS-9.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by WSR66
1. Marshall VS8100h

2. Carvin Legacy
Modded Ts-9
Modded Ds-1

Thread over. Go home, everybody.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by WSR66
1. Marshall VS8100h

2. Carvin Legacy
Modded Ts-9
Modded Ds-1

this
and you even have a few left for new guitars and/or some studio stuff
and/or weed and beer
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Tsk, tsk, tsk, Alfy.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
this
and you even have a few left for new guitars and/or some studio stuff
and/or weed and beer

How much do you think this will run me total? Can't be arsed to go check everything atm.

And I've always got extra money for beer my man ;]

ldnovelo: Thanks you for the info and the sources. They were VERY helpful!
Last edited by uncreativelolol at Jul 2, 2009,
Well, you can find a Valvestate used for around 500 bucks and the Legacy shouldn't be any more than 1000ish used. Both heads.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Well, you can find a Valvestate used for around 500 bucks and the Legacy shouldn't be any more than 1000ish used. Both heads.

the Legacy I is 600 new. and the Valvestate can be found at the 300-500 range.
and the pedals will only cost about 150

and 2 USED Avatar 2x12 would cost about $600

so the total is 1850.
so you have 1150 for extra stuff
feel free to add me
Man was I off on the Legacy then.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Seriously though, why would you want to blow 3k on two rigs that just copy other peoples sounds? Are you actually going to be out making money off these rigs? If you really do have that kinda money why not just try every amp going till you find your dream tone?
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Quote by synth002
Seriously though, why would you want to blow 3k on two rigs that just copy other peoples sounds? Are you actually going to be out making money off these rigs? If you really do have that kinda money why not just try every amp going till you find your dream tone?

I agree with this....
Quote by synth002

ever think that these are his dream tones?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
ever think that these are his dream tones?

I spose, just seems a bit odd to me, 3k on 2 amps to nail other peoples tones.. I would have thought that by the time your spending that amount on guitar gear you wouldn't be aiming for someone elses tone. I mean even if he had those amps he wont have the hands of the player and a lot of the 'tone' is in the hands.. i dunno, just seems a waste to me. Unless its for pro use where money is made!
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
.. but then if your loaded and can throw money around then fair play to you!!
Quote by Count Seanula
Quote by metalzcurseband
I would suggest getting a Line 6 HD147 & any Ibanez halftack with distortion

look at date pl0x

feel free to add me