I have been working over the summer and want to finally get some new guitar gear. For the most part, I never use my 30W Practice amp and just run my guitar into my Digitech RP350 and use the headphone jack (Or into a stereo or PA if I am with band). I am thinking of just scrapping the idea of buying a new amp AND guitar, and just use all the money to get an even better guitar.

My main question is, if I just run my guitar into my MultiFX, and then into a larger PA system. Would that be any less effective then running it into a larger amp instead? It is either an alright guitar and amp, or get a good guitar. (I have eyes set on a Gibson SG)
i tried both... i like my sound better when im using an amp and not our PA. plus, i like to leave our PA only for vocals since it's not very powerful to begin(300W) with without using my extra JBL dual 15s (500W rms each cab).

but really, what do you think you'll be happier with more? i think that's more important right now since none of those 2 seem like a necessity at this point.
2001 Gibson Blueshawk (chicago blue)
2001 Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony)
1997 Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray (red)
Peavey Classic 50 410 w/ celestions
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Roland Microcube
Acoustic B200
I prefer an amp also.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Its really down to your own preference.

I am prefer to stick me X3 into the PA because my Vox is only 30 Watt but its up to you.
My Gear

Michael Kelly Patriot Custom
Fender Stratocastor Lonestar
Encore Strat Copy
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Vox VT30
I prefer my analogue setup but for ease of use and portability i only gig with my GT8 and a guitar. I've had it and my PA long enough now to know how to get the best tones and EQ settings and i have a pretty good live tone now.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by fly135
If you use a PA you need to configure the presets with a PA.

You need to reconfigure every time you plug into something different.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
You need to reconfigure every time you plug into something different.
True dat. But there's a much bigger difference between a PA and a guitar amp than moving between PA's.
I plug my line 6 xt live direct in the PA and it works fine, great sounds and mobility for a quick plug and play for any gig, even tho I do have some nice amps that I can plug into when ever I want.
Quote by fly135
True dat. But there's a much bigger difference between a PA and a guitar amp than moving between PA's.

This is true. For example if i was to take my GT8 presets for my blues junior and plug into an amp such as Orange Rocker it would sound radically different, much darker and ballsier because of the characteristics of the amps. However swopping between pa's is easier because ordinarily PA's should be balanced correctly across a similiar frequency range and have a flat sort of response. In a sense a PA simply amplifiers the sound and thus there is less added colour to your sound.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I used to (before I got my Suhr Badger and Avatar 4x12) run my X3Live through a Rocktron poweramp into a Line 6 4x12. Cost is about $600 (cheaper than most gig-worthy tube amps, and IMHO a better deal if you're using modeling).

I found that running it into an amp (and I tried several, both ss and tube, and into the front and through FX loop) never quite sounded right.

The X3Live has XLR outs as well, so I usually run a line to the board as well and see which sounded better @ soundcheck. If the board sounded better, I'd use the 4x12 as a stage monitor; and if the 4x12 sounded better, I'd just mic it.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Velocity-100-Power-Amp-?sku=480118#new

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-SPIDER-III-320w-4x12-Amp-Cabinet?sku=480986#new
Last edited by jblittlefield at Jul 3, 2009,