It seems like for a while now I've been mostly focused on what I can't do, and what I'd like to be able to do. It appears to have led me into this sort of crisis I'm in right now. I don't feel like playing music. It's not fun anymore. There's no point. I have no inspiration.

I'm not in a band, and I haven't been in one or done a serious performance in a long, long time. Having no external requirements or rewards, I can just stay away from music all together for as long as I want.

It's like I've become my own parent insisting that I become great. I've heard stories of people who were forced/pressured into music by their parents, and they usually end up hating it. Well, one of these examples got the love back by switching from the keys to guitar and probably classical music to rock.

I think I must now set out to retrain myself to focus on what I can do (the only most insane stuff is beyond my physical ability), to focus on music as a form of expression, and most importantly, to just simply enjoy it. It's gonna be hard to break all these habits, though.

Thoughts? Comments?
take a break for alittle bit. relax and dont think at all about playing guitar or anything for a few days. your body and mind need to recharge. it happens to me all the time. set small goals that are achievable and work your way up. if you think too far ahead you're gonna really get burnt out. take it slow and you will get to the level you want, but it takes time. as gay as it sounds think of yourself as a baby again; you didnt go from standing up to running.
i know what u mean man
unfortunate it has reached that stage but keep at it listen to some good muzik and find the inspiration that make you pick up a guitar in the 1st place..well i dunno what sorta stuff your into but check out some bands like led zeppelin,racer x more or less give progressive bands a try..oh yeah and jason becker
Once the hate builds up enough you'll start playing metal and get right back into it
Quote by metalheadblues
i know what u mean man
unfortunate it has reached that stage but keep at it listen to some good muzik and find the inspiration that make you pick up a guitar in the 1st place..well i dunno what sorta stuff your into but check out some bands like led zeppelin,racer x more or less give progressive bands a try..oh yeah and jason becker

I've been listening to PG's Get Out of my Yard, and Becker's Perpetual Burn along with lots of Satriani. I guess I've also been listening to PUSA and Live too. I don't like the singers for Zeppelin or Racer X. Unfortunately, it didn't take a lot of inspiration for me to start. It was just something my brothers were doing, so I tagged along. I guess I continued through the years, though.

Quote by madcowman19
Once the hate builds up enough you'll start playing metal and get right back into it

Metal is pretty much what I'm centered around playing. I know lots of Maiden and Metallica.

Quote by oooweeooo_ooo
how long have you been playing?

15 years with lots of periods of not playing much or at all.
Last edited by Adrian Smith at Jul 3, 2009,
I'd say either go to a gig or find someone to jam with. Or even offer to teach someone - seeing their enthusiasm might help you get some of yours back. Might be worth changing genres for a while too - play something you never normally play. Hope you get the bug back quickly
Just take a break for like a week or so. I always have times where I don't play my bass for like two weeks and then I come back to it and play it like 24/7. You're just a little burned out, but you'll be back to liking music after you let your mind recharge.
Take a break, and you`ll either feel like playing the guitar some day and have some fun, or you won't, which will cause you to somewhat quit, but if you don't want to play, you really don't need to force it, so it's also a viable solution.
Take a break to discover new music maybe?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Adrian Smith
It seems like for a while now I've been mostly focused on what I can't do, and what I'd like to be able to do. It appears to have led me into this sort of crisis I'm in right now. I don't feel like playing music. It's not fun anymore. There's no point. I have no inspiration.

I'm not in a band, and I haven't been in one or done a serious performance in a long, long time. Having no external requirements or rewards, I can just stay away from music all together for as long as I want.

It's like I've become my own parent insisting that I become great. I've heard stories of people who were forced/pressured into music by their parents, and they usually end up hating it. Well, one of these examples got the love back by switching from the keys to guitar and probably classical music to rock.

I think I must now set out to retrain myself to focus on what I can do (the only most insane stuff is beyond my physical ability), to focus on music as a form of expression, and most importantly, to just simply enjoy it. It's gonna be hard to break all these habits, though.

Thoughts? Comments?

Read your last paragraph, and then follow you own advice.

You'll still learn new things, you'll still get better and develop as a player, but you'll allow yourself to do it, rather than force yourself to live up to some superficial concept of what "good" is.

I've always found that now matter how hard you try, you will only find success if you truly enjoy it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 3, 2009,
It sounds like you're really burned out man. Take a break.
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe w/ FR
Hamer XT-series SATQ
Fender Stratocaster
'75 Fender F-35 Acoustic
Amp
Vox VT15
Pedals
535Q Crybaby Wah
I'd go with what Munky said. I'd also go with what Zhilla said. Go watch a band, and not a technical band... A technical band will be disappointing as it will bring a resurgance to the feelings you have about lack of technique or ability.

Simplicity is king. The moment I moved to simpler writing and playing, my love for the instrument came back. Its not about how fast you can play, more like how fast you can play with others (meaning a jam, not a wicked rip the head off solo). Maybe it works for you too. And, your songwriting improves, your playing improves and your knowledge increases dramatically. A simple choice really. Your call in the end
Yeah, I think I have burnt myself out focusing too much on extraordinary playing such as Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani.

Today I went to Baton Rouge which is more than an hour from here. I decided to listen to whatever I wanted that was on my MP3 player. I chose some Live and started to enjoy it like I used to.

I thought about when I saw Chef John Folse in a book store. I'm not into cooking, but it was one of those moments when you're seeing some level of celebrity in person even if it's one you're not really interested in. I was pretending to look at some nearby stuff as I listened to him speak to the person next to him. He was talking about how he was planning to make some kind of new dish (with all kinds of details I forgot), and you could just tell that he really loves making food. Then I thought about how ridiculous it would be to try to make new dishes that taste good if you couldn't taste anymore or even if your taste buds were numbed. Then I applied this to music and realized that it's quite ridiculous to think you can make music that sounds good if you've lost your enjoyment of it. Not long after all this thinking, we passed by Chef John Folse's food plant to make this all coincidental. I didn't even remember it was there.

I guess I'll just take a break and continue applying my own advice.
Quote by Adrian Smith
Thoughts? Comments?

Meh... burning daylight. How long do you think you'll stay on this Earth? You won't know. So write everything your mind conjures and continue. Stopping if okay for a day or two (to let your mind recuperate) but full out stopping for several months shows you aren't very serious about your music life.
soetimes it helps to take a break and listen to some music that got you started on guitar in the first place. Do something fun, don't play the guitar for a couple of weeks even. It will pass, the desire to play will come back. trust me, we've all been there
DON'T TOUCH YOUR GUITAR!!!!

Now that I have your attention, you really need to sit back an relax a little. Take a nice long break. Read a good book. Learn to cook a little. Listen to some music. Go back to the roots of why you played. If you really love playing, it'll all matter. And realize that some things are truly beyond reach; PG and Satch are technical gods with many years of playing behind them. But if you're playing Metallica and Iron Maiden, then enjoy playing that. Do your own thing with some of the solos. If you don't enjoy it anymore, there's no reason to keep playing.
Quote by Geldin
DON'T TOUCH YOUR GUITAR!!!!

Now that I have your attention, you really need to sit back an relax a little. Take a nice long break. Read a good book. Learn to cook a little. Listen to some music. Go back to the roots of why you played. If you really love playing, it'll all matter. And realize that some things are truly beyond reach; PG and Satch are technical gods with many years of playing behind them. But if you're playing Metallica and Iron Maiden, then enjoy playing that. Do your own thing with some of the solos. If you don't enjoy it anymore, there's no reason to keep playing.

I had my guitar in hand while reading that. I now see it's not about avoiding guitar, but it's more about approaching with the right perspective.
Glad I was able to make some kind of impression. Best of luck to you. It sounds like your predicament is pretty nasty. I don't know what I would do if I didn't enjoy music like i do nowadays.