i have been wondering if an acoustic 12 string guitar would be a smart investment. i play mainly eagles tune, and the main reason i thought of getting one is to play hotel california correctly. but i honestly dont want to get one just for one song what other songs can be played on a 12 string and is it a good investment?
Pretty much any song where you're strumming chords will sound richer on a 12-string.
if you got the $$$ go for it..don't forget led zeppelin Jimmy Page with the 12 string(which i'm not sure about lol)
You can play whatever you want to on a 12 string, especially if you don't limit yourself to covers.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
39 by queen
In my life by Ozzy (Beatles cover)
Mama im comin home by ozzy

i honestly cant think of anymore but there are alot lol
And stairway is acoustic in the studio but the tsrts version it is electric. lol
Quote by Slash5992
And stairway is acoustic in the studio but the tsrts version it is electric. lol

I was referring to the "fanfare" rhythm guitar just before the solo.
I've heard that 12-string guitars are massively annoying to tune, but they certainly sound nice. Any song that can be played on an acoustic guitar normally can be performed on a 12-string variant as well.
Yeah, there's really no such thing as a "12-string song"...you can play whatever you want on it. Like said, strummy songs sound amazing on them; fingerpicking can be more awkward but it can be done.

They are a whiny little bitch to tune.

I love mine, I play it all the time.
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
hi everyone, newbie here.

I think that you can play whatever you want on a 12 string. If you're a folk or acoustic fan, it's the ultimate place to go. Like everbody else said, the 12 string guitar can give you a hard time when it comes to tune, but it's just a matter of time and that you can get used to tune 12 strings instead of 6.

You can listen or start to play some Crosby, Stills and Nash songs. They're perfect for a 12 string.
I've heard that 12-string guitars are massively annoying to tune,

Its no more difficult than tuning a 6 string guitar. Just takes twice as long. Anyone who calls that annoying doesnt have much patience.

what other songs can be played on a 12 string

With practice, most things that can be played on a 6 string can be played on a 12 string also.

is it a good investment?

This is impossible to give a definitive answer to. Without psychic abilities I cant say if you're going to play a 12 string guitar enough to justify the cost of buying it. I personally own a 12 string guitar and love it, so for me it was a good investment.
12 string guitars are great. Anberlin actually played some of their live stuff with a 12 string guitar. Surprised me really.
Quote by Natrone
You can play whatever you want to on a 12 string, especially if you don't limit yourself to covers.

This ^^. Also, to decide if you think a 12-string is a good investment, go to a store and try one (or all of them) and decide if you're absolutely in love with the 12-string sound. And as for some songs that were recorded using 12-string guitars....

Wish you Were Here-Pink Floyd
and well, I don't know any off the top of my head, but the rhythm acoustic guitar part to "Fake Plastic Trees" sounds amazing on a 12-string. But check out the "What songs!?!" thread; They've got a section dedicated to songs that were recorded using 12-string guitars.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Also most Bon Jovi songs involving an acoustic have a 12 string. The most well known, however, is Dead or Alive.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I have used my 12 string for most stuff i play at some point....Lucky by Radiohead for instance. You don't have to limit yourself to what was originally recorded on a 12 string.
i say go for it. Stairway, More Than A Feeling, and Hotel California are enough reason if you have the money. plus strumming chords to other songs will sound pretty amazing. i know Dave Matthews uses a 12 string sometimes, and i think it's in some Bon Jovi songs. if any of those interest you i say go for it