ok, so i dont know if this would even be possible, i know itd be really hard, but i want to get a gibson faded sg, remove all the harware/electronics, fill the neck pickup routing with a block of wood along with all other body cavities on the front except for the bridge pickup routing, then i want to fill all the holes for the volume/control knobs and the pickup selector switch except for 1 so itd just have a volume knob and nothing else. then i want to sand it down so its all nice and smooth, then paint it with reranch paint (possibly orange, but im still debating that), then buy grover tuners and a seymour duncan JB and a black sg-x pickguard. and i want to scallop the last like 6 frets. and then put straplocks on it. obviously.

so what do you guys think? i know its crazy but its exactly what i want to have.
Why not just make one from scratch?
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
yeah i wanted to do that too. i basically want it to be an even simpler sg-x, just better hah
i looked at warmoth parts, but it would cost less to do it this way and i dont want a bolt on neck.
yeah my friend built an sg with warmoth parts and it cost him more than $1000 in the end.. way too much.
exactly, if you g to a local lumberyard you should get decent prices. other than that tools and hardware (tuners bridge ect) are the expensive part. and quality pups will run 150-200 generally
well its only going to have one pickup. and i already have it hah, i bought 3 s.d.'s and i have an extra JB
the the bridge and tuners might be the most expensive, though grovers aren't that bad on expense, bridge style and co. will make a huge difference. i you can access a shop, i'd say go for it.
uh, .... wow. i would say DEFINITELY have a pro do the work for you. you dont have to "fill" a spot in the body just because you dont want the electronics it contains there. in fact, since wood is not liquid, i would imagine it would be pretty hard to "fill" them anyway. i bet you could find a tech to do it for you for 40 or 50 american. just tell them you want one pickup in the bridge and one volume and nothing else.you say you want it to feel smooth but i dont know of anybody that can have their picking hand down there while actually playing the strings so if you want i bet they could even leave all the knobs in just unconnected to ease the inevatible hassle of returning it to stock. you could leave the neck humbucker in too if you want.

if i were you i would have the pickup you want installed in the bridge and then just promise yourelf you wont touch any control but the volume knob of the bridge pup and get yourelf the exact same efect. if you can detect the extra brightness you get with only one pot for volume in the circut you have very good ears but im assuming youve never done a comparison and just want it for asthetic reasons. if you can detect the effect of the magnetic pull on an otherwise inert neck pup you practice ending songs with droning out chords too much.

as much as it seems like im trying to be condecending im just trying to drive home the point that modification is useless unless you know what you want and you know the mod youre doing will get it. swapping pups is definitely a good idea if you want to change the characteristics of the guitars output but the rest of that stuff wont make a difference worth a tenth of what it costs. a guitar is NOT a statement, it is a tool to make music with. i would recommend asking yourelf what the modifications you want will do to improve your guitars usefullness as a tool to make music and from there common sense should get you there.
Dream on dude! Your idea of of getting a faded SG and reworking it will be the best and cheapest way to go. Find a used one and build your dream guitar.
this is GB&C guys, not GG&A, don't recommend getting techs to do it or buy a new guitar other wise how will he ever learn? He wants to do a project and he's going to do it!

I like your idea TS although you said you want to fill everything but the bridge route, on SGs there is no bridge route

And it is quite possible to do what you want to do, Bobby (metalwarrior40) pretty much did the exact same thing as you in the thread "Bobbys 2nd build" and I've done something similar in the past week to one of my guitars. its all good
buy your sg used. your going to sand it down and re paint it anyway.

i saw a similar modded sg today at warped tour it didnt look that bad
are you talking about tim from underoaths sg? that thing was really cool haha. and yeah im definitely getting it used.
it doesn't have to be a gibson, you could always go with epiphone or something cheaper. Although a Gibson would be better quality wise.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
uh, .... wow. i would say DEFINITELY have a pro do the work for you. you dont have to "fill" a spot in the body just because you dont want the electronics it contains there. in fact, since wood is not liquid, i would imagine it would be pretty hard to "fill" them anyway.

At this point I made a mental note that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote by MichaelOfCanton
i bet you could find a tech to do it for you for 40 or 50 american.

Not a chance. Try at least $200 USD + materials to fill the cavities and refinish.

Quote by MichaelOfCanton
if i were you i would have the pickup you want installed in the bridge and then just promise yourelf you wont touch any control but the volume knob of the bridge pup and get yourelf the exact same efect. if you can detect the extra brightness you get with only one pot for volume in the circut you have very good ears but im assuming youve never done a comparison and just want it for asthetic reasons. if you can detect the effect of the magnetic pull on an otherwise inert neck pup you practice ending songs with droning out chords too much.

You are obviously the one who has never done a comparison. TS will be able to notice a difference.

Quote by MichaelOfCanton
as much as it seems like im trying to be condecending im just trying to drive home the point that modification is useless unless you know what you want and you know the mod youre doing will get it. swapping pups is definitely a good idea if you want to change the characteristics of the guitars output but the rest of that stuff wont make a difference worth a tenth of what it costs. a guitar is NOT a statement, it is a tool to make music with. i would recommend asking yourelf what the modifications you want will do to improve your guitars usefullness as a tool to make music and from there common sense should get you there.

But you are being condescending. Thread Starter knows exactly what he wants and clearly described it in his original post. (Great job TS!)
Your guitar may not be a statement, but TS wants his to be. Some of us want to help him make that statement. That's what GB&C is here for, helping each other build and customize guitars.
no im definitely right. you cant just fill it in and certainly not with a block of wood like TS said which is what i was trying to clarify. it would require a refinish that the TS didnt mention wanting done. TS if you want a refinish as well you could fill it pretty easily but youll have to use a solid color where you cant see the wood grain or the puttied spots will stand out.

i acutally did a before and after with my strat and the volume only knob (without removing any electronics BTW) and even on pretty bright sounding strat the difference was negligable. i found the biggest difference was the way tapering it off affected the highs. anyway youd have to hear it for yourself if you want your ears to form an opinion on it.

and i can appreciate asthetics (i like the spartan 1 pup 1 knob idea) but it is important to think of a guitar as a tool first. a gibson sg is a hell of a tool and i dont think it would be a good idea to get what you want by ireversably modding an already great guitar. youd probably be better off finding something closer to what you want in the end or just starting from scratch. sorry if i came off harsh. i wasnt trying to insult anybody.

and cedricsmods, thank you for making me laugh when you said me thinking wood isnt liquid was cause for a mental note that i didnt know what i was talking about. i almost fell off my chair.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
no im definitely right. you cant just fill it in and certainly not with a block of wood like TS said which is what i was trying to clarify. it would require a refinish that the TS didnt mention wanting done.

...he said he was going to change the pickguard and repaint the body orange.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
no im definitely right. you cant just fill it in and certainly not with a block of wood like TS said which is what i was trying to clarify. it would require a refinish that the TS didnt mention wanting done. TS if you want a refinish as well you could fill it pretty easily but youll have to use a solid color where you cant see the wood grain or the puttied spots will stand out.

Sure you can. It can be filled with a block cut to the correct size and shape. Done properly, this can be made imperceptible once the guitar is refinished. Very little putty is necessary if the wood is properly shaped first. The holes for the unused pots can be filled with dowels. TS did mention a refinish in the original post. He said he was considering orange. You simply failed to read it carefully.

Quote by MichaelOfCanton
and cedricsmods, thank you for making me laugh when you said me thinking wood isnt liquid was cause for a mental note that i didnt know what i was talking about. i almost fell off my chair.

You gave yourself away by using a ridiculous analogy coupled with your blanket dismissal of filling the holes. It's really not that difficult.

I know I sound harsh right now, but you came in this thread and just tried to shoot down all of TS's ideas with nothing constructive or helpful to offer. That bothers me.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
no im definitely right. you cant just fill it in and certainly not with a block of wood like TS said which is what i was trying to clarify.

Uhm, you can easily fill a cavity with a block of wood.
TS also said he would be refinishing it. I dont see any problems.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
yeah ok i give up. should have re read the post this morning. im just trying and failing to save face because it pissed me of that cedricsmods spent an hour disecting my first post and ripping me because he thinks i shouldnt be allowed to think something is a bad idea. next time ill gladly recommend ireversably modding a gibson and ill think up analogies that are nothing short of poetic for all you wonderful people.
Quote by metalwarrior40
Uhm, you can easily fill a cavity with a block of wood.
TS also said he would be refinishing it. I dont see any problems.

i was assuming incorrectly that it would be done without a refinish or pickguard. sorry again. and see above post.
I read it. There was no need to double post either.
Please try to edit post in the future, instead of double posting.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
While it could be done, it hardly seems worth the effort to me. Why not just change pups and refinish it. If you want that single bridge pup sound, just select the bridge pup. Keep the versatility of the other combos. I scalloped my top 12 frets and recommend it highly. However the SG shape has crappy upper fret access anyway.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
next time ill gladly recommend ireversably modding a gibson and ill think up analogies that are nothing short of poetic for all you wonderful people.

I'd hope you will. I think it's safe to say everyone would appreciate that. Constructive criticism is always better than negativity and sarcasm.

To the TS, these two sites both offer good quality custom SG pickguards

http://www.greasygroove.com/pickguards.php
http://pickguards.us/pricesg.html

And for any other parts, or generic pickguards, this site is great (plus if you order them through nuthinbuttrubl8, you get a 25% discount)
http://www.allparts.com/
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Listen up noobslices.

Sorry but I need y'all to pay some serious attention right about now, mmk?

ok, so i dont know if this would even be possible, i know itd be really hard,

It is entirely possible and not very difficult at all, provided you have some patience and a basic working knowledge of tools.

but i want to get a gibson faded sg, remove all the harware/electronics, fill the neck pickup routing with a block of wood along with all other body cavities on the front except for the bridge pickup routing, then i want to fill all the holes for the volume/control knobs and the pickup selector switch except for 1 so itd just have a volume knob and nothing else.

Buy yourself some mahogany (to match the wood that it is already made out of) and cut/route/machine it to the proper shapes and sizes, then glue these blocks in with original titebond and fill the gaps (which should be small if you did a good job of cutting the wood) with some wood filler.

then i want to sand it down so its all nice and smooth, then paint it with reranch paint (possibly orange, but im still debating that), then buy grover tuners and a seymour duncan JB and a black sg-x pickguard. and i want to scallop the last like 6 frets. and then put straplocks on it. obviously.

This will also be relatively easy. Refinishing a guitar is easy! I've done it many times with professional results and I'm only 15!

so what do you guys think? i know its crazy but its exactly what i want to have.

I think you should do it! You will be so happy and proud of your own custom guitar, and no one else will have one like it.

NOW GO LOOK AT THE FORUM STICKIES! All your questions are likely to be answered there. If not, ask in here!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
yes, you can fill the neck pickup. it's exactly what i did on a guitar body i had laying around, actually. i sanded down a wood block so it would fit, squeezed wood filler into the bottom of the pickup cavity, pushed the wood block in, then squeezed some filler on top of it too. waited a couple days, then sanded it all down flush. just don't forget to cover the hole in the body that's supposed to let the wiring through to the control cavity; you don't want wood filler running down the hole into the other pickup cavity or the control cavity.

and orange SG would be really cool!