Quote by metalheadblues
it pickups the sound made by the string..it is a pickup..i'm confused :S

i'm pretty sure by "how are these pickups" he means "are these pickups any good".
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I've heard good things about the Dimarzio. Never tried that particular pup, but IMO it's hard to go wrong with Dimarzio. Dunno about the EMG, though.
Quote by mikeyElite
i'm pretty sure by "how are these pickups" he means "are these pickups any good".

yeah that would make alot more sense
in my opinion anything by EMG is great..the EMG 85 metal up ur ass but it would depend on the style of muzik you are looking to play
Avoid the EMG HZs if you can... they're decent pups if they come with a guitar (even that is questionable), if you're paying for them, you can do much much better.

What styles of music are you playing?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Avoid the EMG HZs if you can... they're decent pups if they come with a guitar (even that is questionable), if you're paying for them, you can do much much better.

What styles of music are you playing?

Hard rock, Metallica stuff.
Your going to hear this a lot, save for a new amp. What is wrong with your tone now that you want to change?
well, theyre emgs and dimarzios.

and youre paying a hefty price.

so imagine theyre both quality pickups

Quote by Ghold125
Your going to hear this a lot, save for a new amp. What is wrong with your tone now that you want to change?

i dont think you understand what TS is talking about.
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Last edited by koalabacon at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Ghold125

What's wrong with my tone now? Everything What I want to change is my amp, but this will be one of the guitars I have for my entire life probably.

I'm doing long term planning right now. I'll be getting this after I get a nice amp.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jul 3, 2009,
O, whoops, didn't read the whole post. What wood is the guitar going to be made out of?
No offence TS, but you may want to rethink the colour scheme and / or other components.

At this point, it just doesn't look like a guitar someone'll keep for life.

That said, its just an opinion.

Regarding your pup choices, I think you may want to rethink both the pups... I don't think either are suited towards MetallicA. Also, if this is a keep for life guitar... I think you should look at custom wound pups and not standard off the shelf pups.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
-

Regarding your pup choices, I think you may want to rethink both the pups... I don't think either are suited towards MetallicA. Also, if this is a keep for life guitar... I think you should look at custom wound pups and not standard off the shelf pups.

custom wound pups usually cost alot more. from what TS wants to do with guitar, i think the pups are fine. Dimarzios and EMGs are some of the best pups you can buy.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

What kind of Deactivators? The same as the one I've got planned, or the neck one and a different one for the bridge?

Edit:

Quote by ragingkitty
No offence TS, but you may want to rethink the colour scheme and / or other components.

At this point, it just doesn't look like a guitar someone'll keep for life.

That said, its just an opinion.

What's wrong with the red?

The Floyd is so that it would keep a good tuning and for Floyd Rose antics. I'm trying to make this the most versatile guitar I can.

Eh...I might upgrade the pickups later on in life, but it's not like they can't be swapped out. I also play a lot of alternative stuff (because that's what me and my friend write), so I'm not really looking for a "metal" guitar either.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by koalabacon
custom wound pups usually cost alot more. from what TS wants to do with guitar, i think the pups are fine. Dimarzios and EMGs are some of the best pups you can buy.

I agree with the cost a lot more part.

However I disagree that his pup choices are the best at this point in time.

In any case, the reason I'd recommend a custom wound is because this is a custom guitar (even if its a Warmoth), so wouldn't you want a nicely custom guitar with unique pups? Anyways, its a personal opinion, I wouldn't use off the shelf pups with any custom guitar.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I agree with the cost a lot more part.

However I disagree that his pup choices are the best at this point in time.

In any case, the reason I'd recommend a custom wound is because this is a custom guitar (even if its a Warmoth), so wouldn't you want a nicely custom guitar with unique pups? Anyways, its a personal opinion, I wouldn't use off the shelf pups with any custom guitar.

As I said, I might get some custom wound pickups some time later on in life, but for right now, off the shelf pickups work for me.
you guys make these pups sound like theyre not good.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon
you guys make these pups sound like theyre not good.

which ones?
Quote by Alex Vik
As I said, I might get some custom wound pickups some time later on in life, but for right now, off the shelf pickups work for me.

In any case, its something worth thinking of.

But back to the topic.

If you're going for a Met sound...

I recommend going for the EMG 60/81 or EMG 85/81 or EMG 60/85 combos... depending on the sounds you want. Since Warmoth offers a battery routing, you might as well get actives if you want to push tubes. Avoid paying for the HZ at all costs. HZs are nice if they come stock, but I wouldn't pay for them as aftermarket products.

Alternatively, you can also look at the following:
Bridge
D Activator
D Activator X
D Sonic (very nice and versatile pup, but the voicing may not suit you, but worth a consideration)
Super Distortion
Super 3
Breed
Tone Zone

Neck
D Activator
D Activator X
Air Norton
Breed
PAF Pro

Regarding the aesthetics of the guitar, there's nothing wrong with the FR, but the guitar as a whole looks weird. It seems like a cheep knock together. It may be the image, but it just doesn't look like a life time keeper. It may be the components or whatever, but it looks like a few random parts thrown together.

That's my feedback. However this is my opinion. If you like it, there's nothing wrong, its just an opinion.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
I'll guess I might as well get it routed for active pickups since I can always change them.

Thanks for the list too.

Sure thing. Also consider Seymour Duncans. I've had limited experience with SD and more experience with DiMarzios and EMGs, which is why I've limited my list to soley DiMarzios and EMGs.

If you want more opinions about Seymour Duncans, there are lots others who are more familiar. See if you can catch al112987 somewhere... he knows more about SDs than I do... off the top of my head, I cannot recall which UGer has more experience with SDs.

Also if you are use a darker tone wood, you can go for the DiMarzio Super 2 to balance out the sound. A X2N may be worth merit, but its a huge hit and miss, its hard to judge how it sounds in different guitars... but I've heard a few where it really compliments the tone wood and sounds very different... however, it most guitars it sounds quite shrill and brittle.

You may want to read up more on the tone of different woods here...

http://www.learn-to-play-rock-guitar.com/free-guitar-lessons.html
http://www.bothners.co.za/articles/bodywoods.shtml
http://www.guitarbitz.com/tonewoods.asp
http://www.soundunlimited.co.uk/article_Guitar_Tone_Woods_39.html
http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm

Whatever wood you settle on, the pups will need to complement the wood tone. Remember that every piece of wood affects your final signal output tone... from your body to the laminate top to the fretboard to the neck. A good wood combination choice should highlight certain frequencies or compliment all the other woods. A bad choice is making a guitar too focused on one or the other spectrum of frequencies or highlights 2 extreme frequencies.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Ghold125
which ones?

the ones he chose originally.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon
the ones he chose originally.

The only one which was a bad choice IMO, was the EMG HZ.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
The only one which was a bad choice IMO, was the EMG HZ.

Emg hz's arent bad. not the best, but not bad.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon
Emg hz's arent bad. not the best, but not bad.

They aren't good enough for me to justify paying for them as an aftermarket. However, if they were to come stock, they aren't bad pups. The alnico HZs are pretty decent, whereas the ceramics tend to be harsh.

In my experience with HZs, they tend to leave something to be desired. You feel that something tends to be lacking. Which is why I'd recommend that the TS look for something else if he is paying for aftermarkets.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by metalheadblues
it pickups the sound made by the string..it is a pickup..i'm confused :S