ok ive been tryin to increase my speed (like every1 else here) and ive been playing a lick to the ticking box of death (metronome) and i play it cleanly at 75 bpms n i then go onto to 80bpm and i cant get in clean? ive been trying for hours and i cant get in clean....
stop, try again tomorrow. if you keep pushing but cant get it, then youre going to get frustrated and wont get it. so stop, and try again tomorrow.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
maybe sit in front of the tv and increment bpm by just 1. i haven't personally tried it, but i've done other boring exercises while watching tv shows and it works wonders.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Try practicing it even more slowly, start off at a snails pace, say 40bpm (I think that's usually as low as metronomes go haha). Increase the tempo by increments of 5 bpm every 5 minutes and work your way up to the target speed. Make sure you can play whatever it is PERFECTLY at each speed. Play with a clean tone so you can hear any mistakes.

If it doesn't work straight away, leave it alone for a few days then try the same thing again.

That would be my advice anyway, you might be surprised at how well it works.
Last edited by Beserker at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Beserker
Try practicing it even more slowly, start off at a snails pace, say 40bpm (I think that's usually as low as metronomes go haha). Increase the tempo by increments of 5 bpm every 5 minutes and work your way up to the target speed. Make sure you can play whatever it is PERFECTLY at each speed. Play with a clean tone so you can hear any mistakes.

If it doesn't work straight away, leave it alone for a few days then try the same thing again.

That would be my advice anyway, you might be surprised at how well it works.

i'd also add that you should practice both clean and with distortion, because having distortion on causes a lot of noise to get picked up that you normally wouldn't hear.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
That's true, but on the whole, distortion masks mistakes, especially to a beginner whose ear might not be well attuned to such things. If you can play it flawlessly clean, you shouldn't get crappy string noise and such distorted. But, you are right, you still need to do some practice distorted if that's how you're going to play it normally.
Get rid of as much tension in your arms as possible.

Don't slog at one exercise for hours; you'll just get tired.

Practise it for 20 - 30 mins every day, increasing the bpm by 1 or 5 every day.
It doesn't take hours to get "fast", it takes months and years.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Beserker
^You're right. But, for a single lick, it's possible to get up to your target speed surprisingly quickly with correct practice.
Thats true. And whilst it takes months or years to get fast, you can see a noticeable improvement in your speed day by day if you practice properly as a newb (there are some advantages to having lots of room for improvement hehe) - my alternate picking is by no means fast, but its a darn sight less slow than it used to be
My recommendation is go slow like they all said. It's about clean playing, not speed. Play it around 40 bpm until you can play it perfectly every time at that tempo. Then turn on however much gain you use for the lick or riff to make sure that you can play it as you intend to use it in a musical context. Then turn off the distortion and go to 45 bpm. Change up every five minutes or when you get it clean, whichever comes last. Always do clean first, then distorted to make sure that you can play it in either situation.
You need to focus on other topics, like chords. If you take a break with other stuff, you'll be concetrating on getting better instead of getting faster. I think that speed it's just a matter of time, and can be very frustrating if you put all your energies into gain more and more. Because it's all about muscles memory, and what most important, patience.
^ well said. Patience/discipline and focus really are the most important things. About 20 mins a day per lick/exercise. Start each session slow, and work the speed up in increments of 5 bpm, then 2 bpm as you get closer to your limit. When you reach a speed where the technique gremlins start coming in, and you notice you're not playing it clean anymore, take a break, and move on to the next thing. Don't force it. Focus more on playing it well and comfortably than on playing it fast. If you write down the speed you reach each day, don't feel pressured to match or beat yesterday's speed. This will fluctuate.

You'll be surprised at how much you can improve how well you play a lick in a few weeks to a month.