Flat Top Les Paul

Australia

What I Wont It To End Up Like:

Plus

but with tun-o-matic bridge and stop bar
gold hardware including gold telecaster dome knobs :

Well I want to build my first guitar a gibson style Flat Top Les Paul
But It Has To Have A Bolt On Neck As this gives my the ability to expereiment a little bit plus easyer to correct stuff ups

1. Templates
I'm currently looking for a Bolt On Les paul Plan Or Template
that i could reproduce it onto some sorthing like MDF

P.S. i could allways modeify a set neck plan to have a neck pocket i just need a neck pocket template.

Like This

Or This

2. Woods

Main Body = Mahogany
body top = flamed maple

3. neck

I was simply going to buy a neck simalar to these:
Neck 1
Neck 2
Neck 3
Neck 4

4. Hardware

all of it from :
http://www.luthierssupplies.com.au/

crome

5. Finish / Paint

Stain Red then varish

6. Tools Needed

please tell me what tools and parts i.e sand paper drill bits and i will add them here as i get them

7. Stores To Use (Australian)

Hardware
Wood
Drill Bits
Paint
Finish

8. Wiring

For Wiring I am Doing Something Like This

2 Humbuckers, 2 Volume, 2 Tone, 3 Way, Phase
And Combine It With Blackouts To get This

but in the blackout diagram it says to use 250 Pots but i want to use 500 pots is this a problem?
9. Routing

I want to add a double battery box so i can use black outs at some stage and the other battery for the n-tune system i will be installing.

i want to make a rout for it insted of putting it on the control cavity cover where would an ideal place be to put it?

thanks in advance for your help !!!!!!!
Last edited by bill6337 at Jul 18, 2009,
if ur gonna make it red like the classic, i would suggest putting some kind of graphic on it. no point in building a guitar urself if its not gonna look original. but sounds cool!
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
rosewood is good for the neck but I would get something else for the body. Maybe mahogany?

As for the hardware, grover machineheads are pretty cheap and good too!
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
I'm thinking $60 is a lot of money for some pieces of cardboard. If I were you I'd look for a cheaper alternative, like tracing an SG, or finding a free template on the internet, I'm sure you can find one. I'm not really knowledgable on how to print one and all, but I'm sure someone here can help with that.
For the necks, I prefer the second one on an SG.
Read some books about it first, that should help a lot.
aussie

1: If you PM me with your email I will email you a PDF file for a SG so that you can make your own;
To make your own template you need a piece of MDF or plywood about 1/2" or so thick. You print out the template onto paper and glue it onto the MDF/ Plywood. You then carefully cut that template out and sand it to be the right shape.

For the neck pocket instead of using a template, the better way to get a tighter fit is by this method:
http://www.mykaguitars.com/tools/neckpocketjig/
or
http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=40021
same thing pretty much.

2: It depends on your budget and what tone your looking for. I know a few guys who can supply you with wood:
Australian Tonewoods - you'll have to email tim, but he has some nice stuff!
Austim - If you go with these guys, unless you want a mahogany body you'll have to go 2 piece.
Ormsby Guitars - Perry is great, and his woods are top quality
Trend Timbers - I haven't spoken to these guys yet, but they got a good list so maybe an email is a good idea
Luthier Supplies - they got some pretty nice stuff, a bit expensive though...
Aus slab - These guys have got a long stock list, chuck em an email to see their sizings.

If you tell us what tone your going for i can probably help out Aussie woods wise

3: the second will look much better on a SG

4: Luthier supplies is the place to go!

5: Its a red stain over mahogany i think, so you'll probably wanna go with mahogany for the body if you want a standard SG.
Quote by guitarcam123
aussie

1: If you PM me with your email I will email you a PDF file for a SG so that you can make your own;
To make your own template you need a piece of MDF or plywood about 1/2" or so thick. You print out the template onto paper and glue it onto the MDF/ Plywood. You then carefully cut that template out and sand it to be the right shape.

For the neck pocket instead of using a template, the better way to get a tighter fit is by this method:
http://www.mykaguitars.com/tools/neckpocketjig/
or
http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=40021
same thing pretty much.

2: It depends on your budget and what tone your looking for. I know a few guys who can supply you with wood:
Australian Tonewoods - you'll have to email tim, but he has some nice stuff!
Austim - If you go with these guys, unless you want a mahogany body you'll have to go 2 piece.
Ormsby Guitars - Perry is great, and his woods are top quality
Trend Timbers - I haven't spoken to these guys yet, but they got a good list so maybe an email is a good idea
Luthier Supplies - they got some pretty nice stuff, a bit expensive though...
Aus slab - These guys have got a long stock list, chuck em an email to see their sizings.

If you tell us what tone your going for i can probably help out Aussie woods wise

3: the second will look much better on a SG

4: Luthier supplies is the place to go!

5: Its a red stain over mahogany i think, so you'll probably wanna go with mahogany for the body if you want a standard SG.

thanks for the info

1. I like the idea of printing the template first cheaper to but i would still like to use a acrylic type template though as if i build one of those 'contraptions' i would vary rarely use ever again so not relly worth it.

2. well my budget is pretty cheap but this is something that will take me a while (1/2 year ish) but im looking at using it for metal / screamo stuff like BFMV AS ES ADTR and then 80's rock like queen, bruce springsteen, guns and roses ect

3. yeah thats what i was thinking to i dont like the first one with the machine heads on the bottem

4. exact place i was gunna use

5. It doesent relly matter what ever looks good and its cheaper

thanks
well i'm not sure about prices but Austim sell Mahogany big enough for a one piece body blank so maybe you might wanna check them out?
note, they only sell boards, so you might have to get a 1m long board and 40cm wide mahogany board, which is easily big enough for 2 bodies.

Also, Qld Maple is pretty much a whiter African Mahogany if you want to look into that.

My favourite aussie tonewood is Tasmanian Blackwood, you may wanna check it out to, it gives a nice warm tone, but not as warm as mahogany
set neck SG like gibson makes. you can do it. I might be buying some ferarri paint for a project. maybe I'll sell you some ferarri red for your SG?
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
depends where you buy from. I'm not really sure cause I've never got a quote from any suppliers in Australia, besides Guitar Aust, they have mahogany body blanks for $60.
Quote by guitarcam123
you can't buy premade set necks as far as I know

if you want to do a bolt on project just order everything from allparts warmoth lmi stewmac and put it together in 15 minutes.

if you want to build an SG. build an SG. I guess what I'm saying is build it or buy it. bolt on SG is just kinda weird IMO and I cant see putting so much work into a project like that.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
If a template's going to be that expensive, why not buy a cheap SG body off eBay, then use that as your template with a guided router cutter?
thats dead but I'm hosting it here I'll post the link in the templates thread also.

never mind the templates thread is closed so I started another one.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
just putting it out there for you guys would it ne easyer to make a les pual
but the only thing im worried about with both these guitars where will the top strap lock go due to the neck plate?
on one of the horns maybe?
You could always drill a hole in the neck plate to add the strap lock in.

I have a few more templates if you ever change your mind
ok so what i was think is a flat top les pual with
mahogany body
flamed maple top and stain it blue or red a solid colour or just plain clear varnish

just for some extra info what drill bits will i need for things like output jack humbucker mounting ring mounting holes and last but not least what size drill bit for schaller strap locks.

thanks
To be honest, a 1-1.5mm bit would be fine to pilot all of the holes. For the output jack, you might need a 20mm wood bit to bore through.
@ mint sauce : ty so much, should help me save on the drill bit bill :P

ok so Im going with a FLAT TOP les pual something similar to This

i still need some plans for a flat top les pual

and

scale lenghts??????
If i buy a bolt on neck with a scale length of 25.5 (strat)
and the plans are written to les pauls scale length of 25.3/4

would i need to modify the bridge placment or does it relly matter ????

just as ive never played a les pual and only ever playing guitars with double cutaways i have a fear that my thumb wont be comfortable becuase my thumb allways runns up and down the side of the neck??????

im also updating all this info in my original post up ^^^Their^^^

thanks
Last edited by bill6337 at Jul 6, 2009,
I can email you a les paul template if you want?

For the scale length you will just need to move the bridge a bit so that the saddles are 25.5" away from the nut.

Q from OP:

1: I'll email you the template anyway

2: Have you got the email out to Austim yet? Also, there in US, but their prices are very reasonable for maple tops: http://www.northridgehardwoods.com/SolidBodyTops.htm and http://www.veddermountainhardwoods.com/product-pages/

Also in the picture you posted for flamed maple, thats actually quilted maple

3: Cool

4: cool

5: cool

6: A list of tools are in the GB&C resource thread

7: I see your buying the wood from Guitar Aust. You can get better + cheaper tops from the places i recommended earlier in my post. With the mahogany body blanks, they are 2 piece and 2nds, so they have small knots and flaws in them.
for the routing I think it looks neater if the batteries are in the control cavity...

For the stain, theres a tutorial on stewmac and project guitar
Same bettery boxes look a bit stupid to me, but I suppose the 'best' place to put it would be right next to the control cavity.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man