Page 1 of 2
FRIDAY:

(all cell phone pics warning)

I went out of town last weekend and

The Band at the BAR I was at was great and played Marshall Cones and a MG head as a back up. Seriously the lead guitarist had a killer Marshall clone I forget the name but it was 3 digits and he had a plexiglass thing in front of his 4x10 cab to not be too loud.

The singer/guitarist had a Marshall clone but his head said 'Marshall' and he was the one with the MG back up. I showed them my splawn pics on my phone and they came on the spot.

My point was simply that the lead guitarist sounded awesome and his rig was hidden away in the back and you couldn't see it where the other guitarist had 2 Marshall heads on his stack up front and prominent. On break I went up to get a closer look and talk to these guys and find out the tube Marshall is a clone with a Marshall headbox and then the MG. I just threw this story in because it was part of my weekend trip.

SATURDAY:

I played at a mom and pop shop:

Epiphone So Cal 50 head

Best bang for the buck at $499. Super nice over drive and cleans. Easy to operate. Felt sturdy.

(I'll fill in the blanks on the Marshall to the left of that So Cal but it sucked in comparison.)(noisy and basically a piece of sh*t.)

I'm not a Marshall hater as you will see later

The Marshall there is a ____1987XL MKII Vintage Reissue
Oh it was $1,720

It had very scratchy pots or a microphonic tube because it sounded like crap.

Worst amp I played all weekend. I'm going to call the owner of that store to ask him if the amp has problems. I thought it was the guitar I picked out at first until I played throught the So Cal.

Orange Rockerverb 50 head (not pictured)

Lots of gain. I went back and forth between:

Vol =1, Gain = 9
Vol = 2, Gain = 6

Orange Cabs

*The Rockerverb is NOT in my pic......it is on top of the tallest stack.*

TOTALLY Killer .......

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 4, 2009,
MONDAY

Guitar Center

Marshall JMP (top left) and Slash 2555 (bottom right)

The JMP at the top left was really really sweet too. Very similar to the Slash (jubilee) Sig with not as much gain but sounded just as good. Overdrive just really sings. Reminds me of my Splawn.

$1750

Slash Sig - Fuking nice. Me wants. (It is a '72-'75 Silver Jubilee RI I think) 100w. Massive Note Definition.
S#: 06460M
$1249

Slash Sig 2555 100w on a 1960 lead cab - man this thing was the sh*t! It was beat up to hell too.

TopHat 112 25w Club Deluxe

25w.....Red Gov speaker....6L6 tubes...Master was on 7.....Cut knob????? $1199

Pretty darn nice. Fenderish cleans but slightly more gain if I remember correctly.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 7, 2009,
Mesa Lonestars (and dual rec)

$1799

I really love this amp. This is an amp I would consider owning. It has a 5/15/30w switch selector. It has a Clean-Drive switch and then a Drive knob in addition to Gain and Master Volume. It is Class A and has a Celestion Black Shadow. My favorite setting was Gain = 7, Volume = 3. I wish the reverb control was up front.

I also played a Dual Rectifier. Hard to dial in as most would agree. It definitely has it's own thing going on. I doubt I would buy one. I'm not sure why they call the 'Raw' mode raw though? Ch 3 nice on Modern mode.

Egnater Rebel and Tourmaster and Alchemist (Right to Left)

That's my Strat

Egnater Rebel 20

The Rebel is a real interesting amp. I was kind of shocked. It has both 6L6 and EL84 power tubes and you can 'mix' or 'select' back and forth. If the mix knob is strait up noon supposedly it uses both. I'm still not quite sure how all of this works or if it is a gimmick. The dude at GC that I trust said it definitely works as advertised. It also has a knob for 1 - 20 watts that you can turn on the fly (while playing). It seemed to do something but I would have to spend more time with it. It was a very loud amp. I would say it is worth the $599 and would make a great bedroom amp. The matching 1x12 cab was closed back and $249.

Egnater Tourmaster ( actually not bad at all)(confusing like a mesa)

This was a 2x12 combo. Probably worth the $1,499.
OD1 was real nice but the gain on OD2 seemed somewhat unusable past 12 noon. I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea but I know they get lots of praise so it was probably just me and the lack of time I gave it. I was at GC for 2 hours total so you can only spend x amount of time with each amp.

Bogner Alchemist head
$1249
Delay is nice. So is reverb. I've played this amp (and it's combo brothers) on many occations.
It was on an Egnater 212 oversized cab $449

*actually - i would not pay $1250 US for an Alchemist head* - it's nice and all but I would not buy it new. It has a 20/40w switch. The knobs seem sturdy but they are super sensitive and seem counter balanced if that makes sense. Not that but the design of the knobs makes them too sensitive. Maybe that is what they were going for I'm really starting to not like it. Pretty heavy and dark amp tho.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 3, 2009,
Bugera 1990 stack
Not much comment here. It is what it is. Not bad for $449 but I'm hearing it gets bad reviews. Not sure what the deal is actually. 120w head on a Bugera 4x12 $349 cab. Clean channel. Shared EQ. Reverb. Gain knob went to '22' ...

Bugera 6262 combo
212 combo $649
Again, not sure what to say. It does what it does well. Very loud amp. I wouldn't consider this amp for bedroom only use. They nailed the 6505+ crunch pretty well and as someone pointed out in this thread the cleans are very usable. Even with the Volume on 0 you can still hear yourself play It jumps for 0 to 1 and is boom loud.

Marshall Haze
$700. Celestion Marquee speaker. Meh.

Peavey XXL used
used $349. I'd buy it. Lead channel was nice but it somewhat shrill. Ultra channel didn't work at all. Amp was pretty beat up. I would consider one if it was in slightly better shape.
Sounds like a tasty week you had.
Mmmmm.

Congrats hah.

(You should've bought 'em all in my opinion though.)
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Jul 3, 2009,
how did you like the Alchemist? ive heard bad things about it sounding too "processed" and that the build quality was bad because of Line 6's involvement.
Music Man Stingray 4 Vintage Burst.
Ampeg BA115
Sweet. But I'll have to get some pics up of the store I usually go to. They had a Trainwreck last time I went as well as the usual assortment of vintage Marshall's, Fender's, Hiwatts, etc. You can barely move. I got teh Trainwreck pr0nz on my phone but it doesn't want to upload to my PC.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
AMPS I did NOT get to play but would like to go back and play **********

Music Man 112 RD100 $599

Hughs & Kettner Zenamp and Zen-board $499

Fender '59 Bassman tweed combo $999

Seymour Duncan 84-50 Quadratone tube head $399

all look interesting

too tired adn dunken to elaborate....will do later
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The JVM sucked. Sorry.

It just did.

I currently love the JVM. but i'm guessing by "sucked" you mean there are better amps out there (i have not tried many good amps ), what amp would you recommend that will give the same kind of tone as a JVM only better?

This makes me wish i'd taken a camera to this guitar shop i found the other day with a wall of old used gibsons (even a 1970 les paul deluxe at a reasonable price!) and a bunch of rivera amps.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
You should have played the jmp head in the first pic.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If I weren't eating chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream, I would say there was nothing more delicious. But these pancakes are damn good.

/like.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
saweet!
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
cool story bro
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
The Marshall in the firt pick is a 1987 MKII Vintage Reissue. It was terrible. Prolly something wrong with it.

I did play the JMP. It was really really really nice. Major love affair

I felt the Slash sig was slightly better (for me). More gain and the thing just really sang out. Knowing how badly I play guitar that is really saying something

They both had major note definition in a good way.

I also played the DSL 100 JCM 2000 head. It was OK but it did not 'sing' like the first two. It had note definition but in a bad way. Kind of hard to explain. The 'Deep' and 'Tone Shift' buttons seemed to work but the Ultra Channel did not work. At all. Something was a miss. Reverb was nice though.

And yeah, I probably shouldn't have said the JVM sucked there is just no way I would pay $1,899 for 210H or $1,999 for a 410H.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

The singer/guitarist had a Marshall clone but his head said 'Marshall' and he was the one with the MG back up. I showed them my splawn pics on my phone and they came on the spot.

Lucky they didnt ask you to play, then they would have rolled their eyes at you.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by occub
Lucky they didnt ask you to play, then they would have rolled their eyes at you.

GFY

that's all...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The JVM sucked. Sorry.

It just did.

And opinion is fact.

Sorry, probably user error.

Anyway, the So Cal- What did you like about it?
Quote by gregs1020
GFY

that's all...

Is this where the list'ers band together, GFY nerd.

At least 311 has a sense of humor but ...... \Keeping it real!
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by occub
Is this where the list'ers band together, GFY nerd.

At least 311 has a sense of humor but ...... \Keeping it real!

Ripping on peoples playing is b.s.

I haven't been called a nerd since Happy Days was on.
Quote by imgooley
And opinion is fact.

i think he was referring to the massive price new and that it probably was not his style. i think it sucks too
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
how did you like the bugera 6262 combo? I might get one soon but there is on place i can try it out
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
i have played it and found it to sound very similar to a 6505 combo. just with poor reverb
and the cleans are better than a 6505+ head imo
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by imgooley
And opinion is fact.

Goolz - for $500 I think it is a great amp. I'd buy it over the JVM anyday if I had to choose between the two. It was very quiet when not in use. The clean channel, although nothing to write home about, was usable and it had built in reverb. I really like the drive it produces with it EL34s. Marshally.

On the JVM. I've played the amp before, it wasn't my first time - so I know how to operate it. It is a confusing amp though. Like the other times I've played it there always something a miss. I realize it is a floor model but so are all the other amps I play.

Seriously, some of the knobs you could turn really easily and some where kinda 'stuck' or 'harder to turn'. Maybe that is not a big deal but for $2000 I would expect some consistancy. It makes you wonder about the overall build.

just sayin
Rockerverbs wil soon own the world with their awesomeness
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Goolz - for $500 I think it is a great amp. I'd buy it over the JVM anyday if I had to choose between the two. It was very quiet when not in use. The clean channel, although nothing to write home about, was usable and it had built in reverb. I really like the drive it produces with it EL34s. Marshally.

On the JVM. I've played the amp before, it wasn't my first time - so I know how to operate it. It is a confusing amp though. Like the other times I've played it there always something a miss. I realize it is a floor model but so are all the other amps I play.

Seriously, some of the knobs you could turn really easily and some where kinda 'stuck' or 'harder to turn'. Maybe that is not a big deal but for $2000 I would expect some consistancy. It makes you wonder about the overall build.

just sayin

If the So Cal was 1200 dollars, would it still be a good amp?
Yeah, the Rockerverb was very nice. I'm so glad I finally found one to play. This place had Riveras and Traynors too and I spent the entire time playing that thing. Really gave me a hard on.

Blompcube - I tried to Reply to you earlier but UG kept hanging up. I just don't think the JVM is a good value. At least not here in the States. The the money the tone and quality just is not there. There are plenty of other amps that can do the Marshall thang for less (including used amps - which was kind of my point with the 2 used Marshalls that I AM RAVING about in OP).

Edit: Goolz - I would have to say yes. I believe the amp was disigned by Mike Soldano. Did you know that? I just found that out. Makes me like it even more. It's more of Blues/Classic Rock amp as you probably know and could probably handle thrash.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The Marshall in the firt pick is a 1987 MKII Vintage Reissue. It was terrible. Prolly something wrong with it.

I did play the JMP. It was really really really nice. Major love affair

I felt the Slash sig was slightly better (for me). More gain and the thing just really sang out. Knowing how badly I play guitar that is really saying something

They both had major note definition in a good way.

I also played the DSL 100 JCM 2000 head. It was OK but it did not 'sing' like the first two. It had note definition but in a bad way. Kind of hard to explain. The 'Deep' and 'Tone Shift' buttons seemed to work but the Ultra Channel did not work. At all. Something was a miss. Reverb was nice though.

And yeah, I probably shouldn't have said the JVM sucked there is just no way I would pay $1,899 for 210H or $1,999 for a 410H.

The Ultra Gain Channel is Useless!
I hated the 1990 head. It was so fizzy. It needs a lot of work if Bugera wants it to be as big a hit as the others were.

Maybe just needed a tube change, but from what my ears heard, it was HORRID.

And I hate you for being able to play a JMP.

Just kidding. I love you 311
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Page 1 of 2