Hello guys, I play lead guitar and sing back-up in a band called Acid Police. We're an alternative/indie band (Think Muse, Modest Mouse, The Weakerthans, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, etc...) and we might be playing our first show near the end of the summer. We're all around 15-16 years old and fairly good at our respective instruments, myself and the bass player are also pretty good at other instruments too (Percussion, Keyboards, Strings, stuff like that.) and, as a band, we're above average for the amount of time we've been playing together.

Now that you know a little about the band, I'll get to the point
There's a clothing store downtown that has a venue on the second floor and we've been talking to the manager about playing there near the end of summer. We don't know very much about it yet except that it's capacity is 80 people. (I still need to go back to the store and ask about the place, as I'm in charge of stuff like this. I'm pretty sure we have to rent it, but we can charge a price for admission and the manager says she will promote the show lots.) All of us have lots of friends who would love to come see us, so we'll be able to fill the place up nicely.

So, that's pretty good, but I was wondering if we could incorporate my other friends idea of having a masquerade party into the show. Our idea is that we could sell tickets in advance for 5$ each, then on the night of the show, if you show up with a mask or some other masquerade accessory, you get 2$ back.
We have a pretty unique group of friends, most of them would love to do something like this, but we were wondering if it's really a good idea...
If not, why and how can it be better? If so, how can we improve on it? If you need anymore info, just ask.

tl;dr
My friend Bret has got it goin' on, but he doesn't know it. Should I write a song for him?
A masquerade? For a rock show, probably not the best idea. If you want to do some sort of promotion, do a food drive. Anyone who shows up with a non-perishable food item gets $2 off. And then donate that to a local cause. That way you get exposure and general good will for your band. A band from my town did that and got a big write up in the paper praising their saintliness.

Or you could go with doing nothing of the sort, and just collecting 5 from everybody on the door, and making yourselves a ton of money.
^^^But they're not a traditional rock band.

I like the idea anyway. I think it's rather novel and If I saw a band pull something like that it would certainly get me interested.
Quote by koslack
You want people to show up at the show, and at the door you give them money?
Good luck with that.

Be more constructive with your feedback please.
They would have to show their ticket first.
I think it's not a bad idea. But take it a step further. Have them dress up to your band name's theme. If you guys are called "The Horny Koala's" give them a discount if they wear Koala masks. (Or horns ;-)

In 1989 Alice Cooper got people to bring a bag of trash at the launch of his new album. Guess what the album was named?

What is your band name?
Quote by Withakay
I think it's not a bad idea. But take it a step further. Have them dress up to your band name's theme. If you guys are called "The Horny Koala's" give them a discount if they wear Koala masks. (Or horns ;-)

In 1989 Alice Cooper got people to bring a bag of trash at the launch of his new album. Guess what the album was named?

What is your band name?

It's Acid Police.
Quote by editthesadparts

Ok, you're renting out the place. You now have what we like to call 'overhead.' You need to clear the overhead before you can make a profit. But you're young, you're in it because like, music is totally your life and money is just such a bourgeois concept. You'll be happy pulling even. Fine. Let's say the place is charging you $200 to rent. At $5 a ticket, you need 40 friends to show up. With the $2 rebate, you now need 67 friends to show up. But wait! So what happens if instead of 67 of your closest friends showing up in costume, you get 40 of them? Well, you take in $120, but you you paid the owner $200! Why, you just lost 80 bucks! You can buy a ton of American Apparel gear with 80 bucks! Well, maybe not a ton, but you could have bought one really cool v-neck t-shirt, that's for sure. And that's not even worst case scenario! What happens if you sell 40 tickets? You took in $200, you owe $200, your even, life is great. But what's this? Half the people are in costume? Uh oh! You owe $40 of your own money! This isn't good!
Pay to play is always a bad idea. Giving money back at the door AFTER paying for the venue? Somehow, I don't see Alan Greenspan signing off on the idea.
Quote by koslack
Ok, you're renting out the place. You now have what we like to call 'overhead.' You need to clear the overhead before you can make a profit. But you're young, you're in it because like, music is totally your life and money is just such a bourgeois concept. You'll be happy pulling even. Fine. Let's say the place is charging you $200 to rent. At $5 a ticket, you need 40 friends to show up. With the $2 rebate, you now need 67 friends to show up. But wait! So what happens if instead of 67 of your closest friends showing up in costume, you get 40 of them? Well, you take in $120, but you you paid the owner $200! Why, you just lost 80 bucks! You can buy a ton of American Apparel gear with 80 bucks! Well, maybe not a ton, but you could have bought one really cool v-neck t-shirt, that's for sure. And that's not even worst case scenario! What happens if you sell 40 tickets? You took in $200, you owe $200, your even, life is great. But what's this? Half the people are in costume? Uh oh! You owe $40 of your own money! This isn't good!
Pay to play is always a bad idea. Giving money back at the door AFTER paying for the venue? Somehow, I don't see Alan Greenspan signing off on the idea.

Thank-you for elaborating.
Quote by editthesadparts
It's Acid Police.

tell them they get a discount if they drop some acid before the show?
Quote by One on Sunday
tell them they get a discount if they drop some acid before the show?

Or bring some Police friends.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Last edited by soundgarden19 at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by editthesadparts

Are your rhymes cissy?
You say you don't know much about the space yet. Well, getting all that info is step #1.
The manager will do promotion, what's up with that? Does she want publicity for her biz too? Find out.

As to the rest, I agree with Koslack
Quote by chokmool
You say you don't know much about the space yet. Well, getting all that info is step #1.
The manager will do promotion, what's up with that? Does she want publicity for her biz too? Find out.

As to the rest, I agree with Koslack

I went with my friend Sophie yesterday to check it out, it's a nice, small venue and it's 200$ to rent it for the whole night. It's in the attic of an "alternative" clothing store, so I think they will be hoping for some sales. I talked to the manager about our idea and she was really excited about it and thought it was great (Maybe she just wanted our money, but she seemed genuine). We're going to sell tickets for 8$, 5$ with a costume.
I think we'll go for it, even if we don't make enough money to pay for the venue, we'll pay out of our own pockets and be glad to have the experience.
Quote by darthbuttchin
Are your rhymes cissy?

What, what, what, why, why, why?
I'm sure you have checked, but if not, you should. If the show is several hours, will your audience have access to restroom facilities? Do they bring their own drinks(soft or hard/none)? Is there enough parking? Any code restrictions on the use of the space?

Above all, are you dealing directly with the owner of the building? The owner needs to be fully aware of all your plans, and agree to them, not just the manager, unless she has the authority to make those decisions.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to make sure you know what you are getting into. None of this may matter at all, but believe it or not, it doesn't take much to get shut down. Especially if a neighboring business complains. The more you can nail down, the better.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
Find some other local young bands to play with you.

This, yes. If you can get another band to play with you, split the cost of the venue 60-40, with the "headliner" paying 60%, but also getting 60% of any profits. If you get two other bands, split it 40-30-30, so the "headliner" pays 40%, each of the "supporting" acts pays 30%, and then split the profits the same way.

I think that might actually work fairly well.
Personally, I would just charge as little as possible to cover the rental. The less expensive the more likely people will be to go. It's your first show, exposure is what you need now. Not a few measly bucks.
Quote by darthbuttchin
Are your rhymes cissy?

haha, took me a second there..

anyway..
i agree with koslack. giving money back for dressing up is prolly not a great idea. i mean, if your playing in a shop, and there's, say, 40 -50 people. someone is gonna be knockin off books. not because they want them, but because they can. no doubt you will be expected to pay for those. that could turn out to be a very large sum of money on top of your $200, which in my humble opinion is a pretty ridiculous amount to begin with.

in summary, scrap the idea. find somewhere else to play.

Edit: no please, please, please do not write bret a song. i don't care who she is, but if a chick wrote me a song, i couldn't help being somewhat frightened off, not to mention embarrassed. and no doubt that if his mates find out, they'll harrase him about it for a good long while, and you'll cop some of that flack too.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Last edited by Dunjma at Jul 5, 2009,
It sounds like a good idea to me - something different that'll grab people's attention. Possibly not a good idea to give money back on the door, but maybe:

Advance ticket: $5
On the door: $7
On the door, in a mask: $5

And encourage people who buy advance tickets to come in costume/masks as well. I think it'd stand out, again, as a slightly different show to any that people had previously been to.

My band in Cambridge once gave out tiger masks to the audience (Tiger Boxing Club was the name of the band). People still occasionally mention it, almost six months after that single gig. Little quirky things get remembered.

As the person above mentioned, though, think through security of the premises you're using - if people are walking through the shop to get to the upstairs room, you'll need to have someone there watching that they don't try and walk off with stock, or get the owner to move everything away from where people will be.

Also, booze - think about whatever the local licensing laws are. It's very likely to be illegal for you to sell the audience drinks, in fact that's pretty much guaranteed. It may also be illegal for them to bring their own booze, which may sound unlikely but is something you should check.

Why is that an issue? Because you're going to be playing loud music. And unless the place where you're playing is soundproof, that might well come to the attention of the police. You say it's a venue? Do you mean it's a proper, specially designed place for bands to play, or just a big open space? I don't know what Canada is like, but in the UK you need a license to hold live music events late at night...

Just a few things that should be thought through before doing the gig. It sounds like a good idea to me, but be sure you know what you're doing.
If it's your first show and you're all 15-16,do you really think you're going to give people much of a show?

Best bet is to try and get one or two other decent local bands you know to play - it'll greatly increase your crowd draw and give everyone more for their $.
Quote by Dunjma
Edit: no please, please, please do not write bret a song. i don't care who she is, but if a chick wrote me a song, i couldn't help being somewhat frightened off, not to mention embarrassed. and no doubt that if his mates find out, they'll harrase him about it for a good long while, and you'll cop some of that flack too.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I had to mention that the tl;dr was also a FoTC reference :P