Page 1 of 7
yup... you heard it right. I finally started working on the bass that, until now, has only been a rumor...

specs:
ash body - king v style, pure white
bolt on 7 piece birdseye maple/wenge neck
birdseye maple fretboard, 24 fret 34" scale
7 string bass
this bass is a commission for a friend of mine out in las vegas. I met him back in october and we talked about a commissioned build. I received the "go" on this a while back but just recently found the wood i've been looking for to do it.

pics:

Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Jul 3, 2009,
the neck is about 4 1/8-4 1/4" at the heel... it's a monster, for sure.

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
this is one of those make or break type deals... if this works out, the lead guitar player in the band wants a double neck - plus the guy i'm building it for is really good friends with Vinnie Paul

This will be so cool, I can already tell.
I hope this will turn out well (But I know it will), so that you can make that double neck.
superman is killing himself tonight
he wants an SG doubleneck but from what i've seen they're really neck heavy... I think a viper-style double neck would balance slightly better because of the offset body... i'd rather do a prs type double. the long horn gives better stability...

customer gets what customer wants, though

PRS double neck......... see if you could talk him round to that idea

a viper double would be pretty sweet too
Believe you me, i will be FOLLOWING this one!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
wait til you see the light show he wants in the fretboard

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
wait til you see the light show he wants in the fretboard

someone on a UK bass forum i go on called the leds "idiot lights" lol. I dunno why everyone seems to hate them so much, i thought they were quite nice?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
he wants blue top and side dots... i'd rather do optics instead of LEDs because you only need one light source for optics and it's easier to service than single LEDs... just gotta figure out how i'm gonna pull it off...

what is it with basses in vegas and vinnie paul?

Perry just built the RR bass and is meeting vinnie paul today/tomorrow/ yesterday (friday)
This isn't the randy rhoads v right? cause if it was I'd be really freaked out!

any way, i've been waiting for this one for a while and so far its looking pretty good
Cant wait

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I was thinking of getting a 7 string bass. Maybe i will one day. My hands are tiny as well lol.
EH

*subscribed*

this is going to be one heck of a bass... I didn't know they even MADE 7s. Good luck! and I hope you get to make the double too!
they had adjustable bridge saddles... you could get a neck that's not as wide

This is gonna be amazing. Can't wait to see this beast!
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
wow... a few neck lams and I have everyone in awe...

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
wow... a few neck lams and I have everyone in awe...
Its not what exists that has us in awe, its the possibility of what is coming

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Its not what exists that has us in awe, its the possibility of what is coming

Quote by Swiss Tony
"You know, building a five string bass and showing the neck lams has similar effect on the onlooker as pron star with a floppy. They think, WOW! If it's that big now, what's it gonna be like when it's ready?!"

So yes. You current project Phil, is like a big floppy knob.

EDIT: For those of you who don't know. Swiss Tony, was a comedy character, used car salesman, who likened everything to "making love to a beautiful woman"

Being in a car crash - Going to the brink of death and back, in a nine car pile-up on a dual carriage-way, is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First of all, brace yourself, hold on tight - particularly if it's a rear-ender. Pray you make contact with her twin airbags as soon as possible.

Washing a car - Washing a car, is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You've got to caress the bodywork. Breathe softly and gently. And give every inch of it your loving attention. And make sure you've got a nice wet sponge.

Laying a carpet - Laying a carpet is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You check the dimensions, lay her out on the floor, pin her down, walk all over her. If you're adventurous, like me, you might like to try an underlay.

Putting up a tent - Putting up a tent is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You rent her, unzip the door, put up your pole and slip in to the old bag.

Going Fishing -Of course, As you know, I'm a very keen fisherman myself. You know, I've often thought that going fishing was very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First of all, clean and inspect your tackle, carefully pull back your rod cover, and remove any dirt or gunge that may have built up whilst not in use. Then, extend your rod to its full length, and check that there are no kinks or any wear. Particularly at the base, where the grip is usually applied. Make sure you've got a decent float, the appropriate bait, and that there's plenty of shot in your bag.

Being in therapy - And yet, having therapy is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You get on the couch, string 'em along with some half-lies and evasions, probe some deep dark holes, and then hand over all your money.

Making coffee - You have to remember, Paul, that making coffee is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot, you've got to take your time, you've got to grind your beans until they squeak, and when you put in your milk....

Checking a second hand car - Checking the details of a second-hand car is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First of all, verify her year of origin. She may look like she rolled off the production line in 1990 but who's to say the fellow before you didn't give her a good spraying?

Hanging wallpaper - Well, hanging wallpaper is also very much like making love to a beautiful woman. Clean all the relevant surfaces, spread her out on the table, cover her with paste, and stick her up. Then you clean your brush, light your pipe, stand back and admire your handiwork.

Buying jewellery - Buying jewellery for a beautiful woman is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman. First you check the size of her ring to make sure it will fit. Then you end up giving her a pearl necklace.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 3, 2009,

I love British comedies.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
There's one called "Coupling" about at the moment. See if you can find any of those.

Well funny. Based around 3 guys and 3 girls (not always couples).

Steve - With Susan (Blonde, fit), panicks a bit.
Jeff - Single, playing the field. Great analogies, a bit mental, curly hair.
Jane - Dark hair, mental, self centred, outspoken.
Susan - Fit blonde, pretty normal. With Steve.
Patrick - Womaniser. Vain. Videos all conquests (Jane is a previous)

I will see if I can find any vids.

Here's one. http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_cd00XMjg5OTA1ODQ=.html

The best of Jeff! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD1TRm0cZ5k

The Giggle Loop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iKjkPgVQcE&feature=related

More Jeff "Nudity Switch" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zexga6HrVG8&feature=related
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 3, 2009,
ok ok ok enough jacking

Yeah man, cant wait to see this finished
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
planed down to 3/4" thick...

mmmmmm.

and to whoever said make the spacing thinner, NOOOOOO!!!!

tight spacing is a demon on bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
mmmmmm.

and to whoever said make the spacing thinner, NOOOOOO!!!!

tight spacing is a demon on bass.

Nahh, man... One string per lam! DO IT ******!!!

I REALLY can't wait to see this, Phil

Skeet: I must have tea and crumpets with you one day... When I become British.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
i've been in talks with this guy since october... i'm finally getting around to it and so far it's coming along well... i'm gonna go scarf the neck in a second ;D

Quote by ohspyro89
They go up to like 10 strings, it's insane.

But awesome to see another extended range bass!

One of my friends at work was showing me a 12 string (I think), that is 12 individual strings...8 octaves I think?? I don't recall exactly.

Cool part was, the guy who built it actually knew how to use it. And did he know how to use it.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Kit Amp Building Tutorial