Post unusual techniques you know of.

Here are a few to get you started...

One thing I copped from Bob Brozman is if you take a slide and rub it back and forth vertically up and down a string or strings, right at the bridge, it creates a sound very similar to a wah wah pedal. Limited potential I guess, but still very cool.

When using a loop pedal and acoustic guitar I like to emulate drums by tapping the strings close to the bridge for the bass drum, and tapping them on the fingerboard for the snare. With acoustic guitar, there's a lot of other percussive sounds you can make, such as flicking the side of the body with your fingernails for a snare like sound, but it isn't picked up well by the pickup, so the two previously mentioned are what I use in conjunction with a loop pedal.

Take an allen key or screwdriver and slide it up or down the strings of a distorted electric for a sort of 'mega pick scrape' sound. Epic.

What can you think of? Also, has anyone ever experimented with prepared guitar?

Inb4 violin bow
i like the sound an electric guitar (turned on) makes when you pull the pick out really quick from its position underneath the strings at the first fret.

Call me weird....but hey i like it
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
With an electric guitar and lots of gain, mute the strings with your left hand and use a round (preferably) plastic object to make futuristic sounds.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
With an electric guitar and lots of gain, mute the strings with your left hand and use a round (preferably) plastic object to make futuristic sounds.

Lol, reminds me of Mattias Eklundh and his playing with a vibrating dildo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR4ekT96hmQ

Or this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_ugsCXZUU He kind of sucks but it's funny

I gotta get me one of those things
Last edited by Beserker at Jul 3, 2009,
I do the 2nd one sometimes, it's pretty random what it sounds like though.
I use a headphone jack to slide up and down the strings, if you slide it quickly up the high e string it has a similar effect to a shephard scale.
Instead of using a whammy bar I just push and pull on the bridge, it's got a different effect a bit (also can pull up or down). I hit the bridge with my pick (on a strat) and it echoes, like your drum thing. Hitting the back of the neck with the palm of your hand makes a faint echo, all the strings reverberate a bit too. Putting the pick between E and A strings and turning slowly, like a pick slide but the pitch doesn't change. Picking behind the nut, should put a pickup there. Running the pick along the rough edge of the tone knobs, with lots of distortion and volume, you can hear an echoey sound. Toggling the selector switch real fast, like Randy Rhoads did, but I'm careful coz I don't wanna screw up the switch.

My favourite one though that's a bit musical, is taking an open chord and fretting it an octave up, but leaving the open strings, so it's the same notes but an octave difference between some. Also, playing the same notes of that chord, if it's a chord with a muted string, use that string to double up on a note. I like double notes, like a 5 on the B string and an open E together, or a 12 on the B string and bending up a 14 on the G string.
also using a metal object as a slide and moving it up way past the 20th frets to around the bridge or middle pickups, as far as it can go before the note sounds crap, then picking it, it's as if the guitar has 30+ frets.
taking quarters and using them as picks. Doesn't change the sound until a 'super' pick scrape like you said earlier with the screwdriver or key. I also have a solo where i tap on the strings above the pickups past the fretboard-really high pitch, but gets annoying after a bit so its pretty short.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Awesome stuff. Some variations on things already mentioned - grabbing the headstock and bending the neck, especially when playing nice full chords. Of course a whammy bar can achieve a similar effect, but I'd say it's subtly different and you can do it on acoustic. Wouldn't recommend doing it too much though!

Changing the pickup selector mid way through a note.

I use that one about using a slide past the fingerboard sometimes. A very zany sound is to slide it back and forth around the virtual 30 - 40th frets while alternate picking the high E and B strings. You can use it real musically too though, to achieve those super high notes. Gotta develop accuracy though.

Another one I like is using a capo, but only barring 3, 4 or 5 strings. It works really well with open tunings, having that low bass note in there. Many little explored tuning combinations available with this one.

Ooh! I just thought that that would be an exellent way to get Robert Fripp's 'new standard tuning' without breaking your damn strings! Going to try that now.
Last edited by Beserker at Jul 3, 2009,
i also like playing with a capo with opening tuning on an electric guitar. Then i play the chord without fretting and use my whammy bar heavily. Then with my left hand i squeeze the capo in and out
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
With a very clean sound, put a paper towel underneath the strings - so that it just mutes them... makes a sort of banjo sound
Also, if you put your guitar with some slight distortion and put a wooden spoon under strings... you can make your guitar sound like a banjo (have to patient to get right position)

btw, my teacher was taught by robert fripp - just thought i'd say
That paper towel one reminds me of a similar thing I do sometimes. I initially discovered it when playing with the sleeve too long on my picking hand arm - it would mute the E or B strings slightly and make a sort of sitar sound, but banjo like you say is probably more appropriate. Then I discovered that it can be done without a paper towel or sleeve, just your hand. If you lightly place the heel of your palm in the right position somewhere over the soundhole I think it is (not sure on electric) and use your index finger to pluck the strings, you get basically the same sound. Sounds really cool for playing Indian scales and such.

edit - with a guitar in my hand, I realise it's not really the heel of your palm you use, but the fleshy side of your hand down from your pinky. The mute can be applied before plucking for the banjo sound, or just after plucking for a more sitar like sound. It's easiest to achieve on the B string. Remember not to mute too close to the bridge or it'll just sound like a palm mute.

Another one I remembered is this thing I do with the side of my picking hand thumb. You can use it to sort of vigourously rub the strings in a strumming motion when playing chords. It makes a really nice soft sort of sound and you can really alter the dynamics of it a lot depending how hard you rub. Sounds unlike any other way of strumming/picking. Watch out though cause it can rub your skin right off if you're not careful, you need to build up a callous in that spot.
Last edited by Beserker at Jul 4, 2009,
natural harmonics+bending the neck, and i have a ring that i use as a slide, doesn't work well on the fretboard, but sounds great at the virtual frets
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Anyone tried rasgueado? It's that technique flamenco players use of flicking the strings with consecutive fingernails. You can get some super fast/complex rhythms going if you're good at it. I just recently picked it up so I'm not very good yet, but it still sounds very cool.
When I do some tapping solo I slide my right hand towards the bridge and it sounds pretty cool. Another one is tapping I put two fingers on two strings and tap both its sounds muddy sometimes though. I also left hand mute the E or B and use a wah pedal to make some weird sounds.
^When I first saw him I was like WTF that's impossible, but I've been practicing it quite a bit now and am fairly decent at it. It's just a case of building strength in your RH fingers. There are other guys with a similar style, look up Adam Fulara on youtube, he plays Bach pieces like that, incredible.
Quote by Beserker
^When I first saw him I was like WTF that's impossible, but I've been practicing it quite a bit now and am fairly decent at it. It's just a case of building strength in your RH fingers. There are other guys with a similar style, look up Adam Fulara on youtube, he plays Bach pieces like that, incredible.

i know i was thinking "how in the world does he do that?" btw, do you pluck the string or just tap it? also how would you play chords? yeah i just heard one of his songs. it is pretty unique-ish haha.
^The technique itself is all tapping, but you can incorporate strumming if you like, in between taps. For chords, you tap them with your left hand fingers. Its pretty tricky to get a decent volume but do-able.
Crossover muting lets you play fast arpeggios totally legato and allows more large intervals than tapping does. It's the Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing technique.

Mute the open strings behind your fretting hand with your picking hand and play your arpeggio shapes with a "hammer-on from nowhere" approach. Normally this would be very difficult as the first finger would have to mute the open strings. Using your picking hand lets you play more shapes and stretches.

The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing lick uses a minor eleventh shape stacked in fifths where possible. It's excellent for improving fretting hand dexterity and sounds killer too.
Quote by Beserker
Anyone tried rasgueado? It's that technique flamenco players use of flicking the strings with consecutive fingernails. You can get some super fast/complex rhythms going if you're good at it. I just recently picked it up so I'm not very good yet, but it still sounds very cool.

yeah my mum taught me that when i was really little before i even played guitar so if i'm ever playing funk riffs i always drop that bad boy in!
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
for an into of a song i put my Ipod (square part, not earphones) near my bridge pickup and it makes a cool sound
I've actually toyed around using a flat metal object to scrape/hammer the virtual frets while playing powerchords with the left hand. Actually sounds kinda cool, would love to do it while toying around with some pedals.
Quote by Warwolt
I've actually toyed around using a flat metal object to scrape/hammer the virtual frets while playing powerchords with the left hand. Actually sounds kinda cool, would love to do it while toying around with some pedals.

Try it with a metal slide. Then you can confuse people ("Why is that slide in your right hand?!?")
Quote by Beserker
Lol, reminds me of Mattias Eklundh and his playing with a vibrating dildo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR4ekT96hmQ

Or this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_ugsCXZUU He kind of sucks but it's funny

I gotta get me one of those things

If there was ever a reason to buy one, this would be it.

Also, a question. If someone made a glow-in-the-dark dildo, would you buy it, just cause?
Frailing - comes from banjo playing. Basically you flick the string with your middle fingernail to accentuate certain notes. I know of it being used in folky or Celtic type stuff on acoustic, but who knows, maybe you could incorporate it into electric playing too.
mabye posted but:

Heavily distort your guitar and hold your hand around the first fret (hand, not finger) and get some form of metal, allen keys work and so do chunks of metal. Hit it agesnt the high e string and then slide it but do it quickly like a DJ. It's not really the kind of thing i would invite to my playing but it is rather cool.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Quote by Beserker

my guitar teacher does this. he's so pro
You can make a demonic sound by doing a left hand-muted, angled strum down the strings. You can hear it in the 17 minute version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Not really "unusual," but worth sharing: If you have two volume knobs, set one all the way up and one all the way down and you have a makeshift killswitch.

Another volume knob technique is to strike pre-bent notes, then volume swell while unbending the note. Works best with some delay, it was used in Heaven and Hell.

Starting at 1:22, Iommi creates massive feedback and harmonics whenever he wants using his pickup knob. Does anyone know how to do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKzgOHK3y-0
Last edited by xHellbound at Sep 15, 2009,