So im considering getting satellite broadband to play some online games, but as i've read the upload speed isn't the best for satellite, but its that or dial up.

Now sat is the only alternative to broadband because the only available company is real expensive and only offer wireless or dial up (which im on now) in my region so can't have land based broadband

So for a game like socom, would this be sufficient

Download 1024 / Upload 512 kbp

Tried the game thread but need an answer asap.
your gonna spend all your time doing this just to fins out that no one plays socom anymore

we've moved up to things like COD4
Regardless of what internet speed you get, you don't want satellite for online gaming, there's an around half a second lag between clicks/actions.

From Speedguide.net

What is this "200ms" stuff?
Briefly: 1000ms (milliseconds) equals one second. The satellite internet systems currently available run about a half second delay because of the distances involved. To an average web surfer this means about one half a second MINIMUM, between the time you click a link and the time you start to see a change take place. On a practical level it's probably closer to 3/4 of a second response time (750ms). Unfortunately, if you're heavy into internet multiplayer gaming, then we're pretty much done here. You can go elsewhere because a 750ms plus response time is unplayable. Why?

Imagine you are driving a racecar. Now imagine it's about three-quarters of a second delay (750ms) between the time you try to steer left, and the time the racecar starts to respond (750ms). You see the problem. It's like driving on ice and is simply not useable for many internet games that require fast reflexes. Some flight games may be useable, because they don't need as fast a response. However, popular first person shooters like Quake III and Tribes 2 and Counter-Strike are almost unplayable.
If, on the other hand, you're not as big into gaming and are in an area not serviced by DSL or cable then Internet via Satellite may be just the thing for you.
Last edited by TeslaWolf at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by TeslaWolf
Regardless of what internet speed you get, you don't want satellite for online gaming, there's an around half a second lag between clicks/actions.

Thanks, its just dial up is so slow and i want something faster and the only alternative is satellite. Either way its a **** situation.
Quote by ShallowEndings
Thanks, its just dial up is so slow and i want something faster and the only alternative is satellite. Either way its a **** situation.

I know how ya feel, I live a bit out of town and all the main ISP's don't go out here, was stuck with dial up for four months before I found a DSL provider. Even though it's faster, I'm paying twice as much as I should for jack **** internet.

Good luck with whatever ya end up doing though.
Quote by TeslaWolf
I know how ya feel, I live a bit out of town and all the main ISP's don't go out here, was stuck with dial up for four months before I found a DSL provider. Even though it's faster, I'm paying twice as much as I should for jack **** internet.

Good luck with whatever ya end up doing though.

Thanks man. The ISP here wont allow any other companies out here. So its satellite or expensive wireless.
Raw speed doesn't mean anything without a decent Ping for online gaming. With satellite you'll have a terrible ping.
edgy meems only friendo :^)