If I am playing (on the thickest string) the notes F# and E; one after the other in quavers...would it be theoretically okay to arpeggio an F# minor barre cord over the F# and E? Or theoretically, would it clash?

Thanks for your help.
It's theoretically ok to do whatever you like. Theory is descriptive, not a set of rules. I can't see why it would clash though. The E is the 7th of F# minor so it would fit in there nicely. Try it out and see how it sounds.
It should sound all right at least, if you play an F#m over the low E you are in fact implying an F#m7 tonality. Although having the m7 in the bass may sound a little dissonant, I can't really check right now as I don't have an instrument to hand.

To be honest it doesn't matter that much if it does clash a little, if it sounds good to your ears then it's right and no one can tell you otherwise.

Always listen to what your ears tell you, they are the most important tool you will EVER have when making music.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
This is probably more the field of MT than GT but oh well. I'm also slightly confused by what you mean by " arpeggio an F# minor barre cord over the F# and E" do you mean hold a f# barre chord and release the top note on and off?

it depends on the context you are using the F#-> E in. If the E is a single note acting as the dominant7 of the F# minor chord then it makes perfect sense, if however the E is a chord acting independently of the F# then it will sound dodgy to hold the F# chord when the E is meant to be played (since the minor 3rd and perfect 5th of the F# will act as a Perfect 4th and major 6th of the E).

To really answer your question though, play it and see. If it sounds good but you think the theory "clashes" all that means is that you don't know enough theory yet to explain why it works

EDIT: I think molly's chambers by Kings of Leon does almost exactly what you describe only with an F# major rather than a minor, and that sounds pretty cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAmXdPXKyhI
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jul 3, 2009,
you can do anything you want really, but that seems to sound fine but it needs feeling. so plucked it a "Creep" kinda manor if youve ever heard the song by radio head and follow with an A chord. then i moved the third up on half step or one fret
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by GirlGerms
What I meant was, the bass is going E, F#, E, F# etc. But the guitar is plucking each of the notes of the F# Minor Barre Chord over the top of that.

Theory says it should work ok but try it and listen to it yourself, that's the only way to tell if it really works.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.